Disguise app icon & name

sketchesplus
sketchesplus
Community Member

because police and airport security can and will take your phone if you don't give them access. Be nice if I can disguise my 1password app name and icon, like a calculator and enter my passcode to enter my app.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Do you sync your vault with either Dropbox or iCloud? If you do maybe resetting 1Password to a clean state might be a possibility. When checked it would ask you to set up a new vault (because there is no information on the phone) and then once at your destination you could tell it to import your vault again.

I'd be interested to see people from Agilebits chip in here because this is something I'm curious about too. A strong password is all very well and fine unless you have some asshat forcing you to give it up or they make your life more difficult (say by detaining said device).

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member

If you're in enough trouble that your device is confiscated for examination then a dummy app is not going to fool the authorities.

What you're really talking about is en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deniable_encryption and that's a whole different kettle of fish and probably beyond 1Password's goals.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Do you need to carry your device with you? If you're worried, then why not use a cheap, disposable phone that the authorities are free to check?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014

If you're in enough trouble that your device is confiscated for examination

If my understanding of the US law is correct, all you have to do is catch a US border control officer on a bad day. They don't need a reason to impound your electronic gear beyond you not supplying any passwords when demanded. Nice eh? (assuming my interpretation is correct). I believe it used to be just non-US people that were targeted but that it now applies to all.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sketchesplus‌

Unfortunately, that is against the App Store's rules, so it's not something that we could implement, even if we wanted to.

If you are concerned about your data being accessible on your mobile device, you could consider something similar to what @littlebobbytables‌ suggests, but I would caution you to ensure that your data is safely available on another computer or device before removing your data from your mobile device.

• sketchesplus
    sketchesplus
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

against apple policy, really!!! I downloaded a safe app through itunes which acts like a calculator until you enter the correct digits to reveal your private photos, notes, contacts etc. but probably doesn't encrypt anything.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sketchesplus‌

That sounds like the app you're describing was specifically designed to be covert. It's a novel idea, but I don't think that we're looking to re-design our app to be that sneaky. We're kind of proud of what we do. :)

This discussion has been closed.