1Password extension doesn't fill in properly with no username field

This discussion was created from comments split from: Mobile Safari extension doesn't fill [Fixed by rebooting the iPhone].

Comments

• jpayne
    jpayne
    Community Member

I've also run into an issue where the extension doesn't filk of the userid field is hardset. We have one site that sometimes "hardcodes" userid (based on other data) and sometimes doesn't so I can't remove userid from my 1P keychain.

• @jpayne‌ Can you retest this one with yesterday's beta? We've made some improvements here and I'd be curious to know if it solves the issue for you.

• jpayne
    jpayne
    Community Member

Sorry for the disappearance there. Just tested with beta 15 and it's still not filling if the userid field is hardcoded and the saved login has userid and password.

• jpayne
    jpayne
    Community Member
    edited August 2014

Just looking at this, it works if the HTML form says:

<td><input class="inputfield" name="j_username" value="jpayne" readonly="readonly" type="text" size="20" /></td>

But fails if it says:
    <td class="fieldname">Username:<td><b>jpayne</b></td>

ie not a field at all. But the password field remains:

<input type="password" name="pass" class="inputfield" />

And doesn't get filled in by the extension.

• Hello @jpayne,

Thanks for getting back to us. No worries about disappearing for a while; life can get very busy :)

I am not sure I am following you 100%, but it sounds like you have a login similar to GMail where the username is sometimes pre-filled for you. We can only fill the username if it is a field, but I would expect we would be able to fill the password field regardless of how the username is presented. It sounds like in your case the password only fills when the username field is present.

Is there a publicly accessible URL that we can test? If not, could you try creating a new login inside the main app and seeing if it works? Sometimes when saving a login from within the browser we can be tricked into filling forms incorrectly because of the additional information we save. For example, perhaps there is another hidden form on this page that we fill instead of the visible one.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!

• jpayne
    jpayne
    Community Member

You are following correctly :)

My testing problem here is that the web app requires a client certificate as well as user id and password, which means I can't do it in the in-app browser :/

The login was created from a 1password for safari extension on the mac, and fills correctly on the mac under the same situations, FWIW.

• MikeT
    edited August 2014

Hi @jpayne,

Right, that'd make sense.We'll test this internally and see if we can figure this out. I'll follow up as soon as we have something.

Thanks for letting us know about this!

• Hi @jpayne,

Can you reproduce this in the latest beta (19)? I can't do it with this test page: http://i.agilebits.com/mt/test_fill.html

• jpayne
    jpayne
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,
    Your test page works for me. My production page is still broken. I did just spot that the form has the autocomplete="off" attribute - could the extension be obeying that for some reason?

• MikeT
    edited August 2014

Hi @jpayne,

Can you provide the whole form or the div. I can update my html file with it and we'll see if it'll be reproducible.

• jpayne
    jpayne
    Community Member

can I mail it to you? What address?

• Hi @jpayne,

Yes, you can. Email it to us at support+forum@agilebits.com, put my name in the subject, and then add a link to this thread in the body of the email, so I'd remember what it is about.

Thanks!

• Hi @jpayne, I got your email and will test it soon. Thanks!

Email Ticket ID: ICA-58969-936

• jpayne
    jpayne
    Community Member

Thanks. It'd be really annoying if Safari is enforcing the no autofill :/

• MikeT
    edited September 2014

Hi @jpayne,

It's not auto-complete, I tested both versions, one with it and one without it. It still didn't auto-fill for me.

If I removed the entire \<form> line and \</form>, it then works. I'm not sure why though.

Here's with the form intact: http://i.agilebits.com/mt/test_safari_fill.html
    Here's without the form: http://i.agilebits.com/mt/test_safari_fill_2.html

I've passed it on to our extension team to see what's going on.

• jpayne
    jpayne
    Community Member

Not working in 5.1 beta FWIW

• MikeT
    edited October 2014

Hi @jpayne,

What's not working exactly? We haven't changed the filling for 1Password 5.1 as the focus for it was elsewhere.

• jpayne
    jpayne
    Community Member

Understood. That was a "just in case it snuck in" check and "I looked so I should post" decision.

• Ah, gotcha.

We'll mention the improvements to our extension in the changelog when we do work on it. Right now, 1Password 5.1 for iOS is learning from the initial 5.0 release and cleaning up after it. A lot of improvements to the TouchID system in addition to simplifying the Security settings, plus support for iPhone 6/6+.

We have a lot of fun stuff we want to start working on after 5.1 release, so, stay tuned for that.

• jpayne
    jpayne
    Community Member

Any chance devs have been looking at this issue? :)

• Hi @jpayne,

Not yet, we're working on a related thing but I don't know if that will resolve the issues reported here. We'll likely visit this after the related thing is finished first.

As you can tell, we don't have any information we can share at the moment. :sunglasses:

• jpayne
    jpayne
    Community Member

Happy new year! I'm just tickling this a little :) But also, is there a reasonable workaround I could try to get the server side folk to implement?

• MikeT
    edited January 2015

Hi @jpayne,

I mentioned the workaround before in the post #16 about removing the \<\form> part.

They might not do it, it could be a bug in our code but we're not yet at that stage to investigate. W're still working on our next generation filling system that's now showing up in the latest 1Password for Mac betas and 1Password extension 4.3.0 betas that will be used in the future iOS builds.

• morrismh
    morrismh
    Community Member

With the latest update 5.1.b30, the websites where the extension was not load are now working. Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @morrismh‌

Thanks so much for that update - I'm glad to hear that things are working for you now! :)

• jpayne
    jpayne
    Community Member

5.1b30 did not fix my problem, but the 5.3 beta did!

• Hi @jpayne,

I'm glad to hear that. 1Password 5.3 for iOS is the one that will start using our next generation filling system (we call it brain), so it should now match up with the extension on the desktops as well.

• jmreekes
    jmreekes
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

I got this error a couple of days ago when trying to verify my password on Kickstarter. (I was already logged in but it wanted me to verify my password so there was just a password field). The extension recoginzed the password field but gave me that error when I clicked the login entry for Kickstarter. Kickstarter is the only website I've tried to use the extension on that didn't have both a username and password field.

• MikeT
    edited January 2015

Hi @jmreekes,

How do you get that page? I'm trying to force it to verify my password but it doesn't seem to ask for my password again when I tried to edit something like my profile.

Is it time-based like you get prompted on the next day?

• jmreekes
    jmreekes
    Community Member

Yea. I think I was trying to leave a comment or something a day or so later after logging in

This discussion has been closed.