How to get LastPass vaults into 1Password for iOS without (Mac) WiFi Sync or cloud services?

XIII
XIII
Community Member

I'm thinking of gifting 1Password for iOS to some family members. Their credentials are currently stored in LastPass. I have been able to import my own credentials from LastPass on my Mac and sync them over WiFi to my iOS devices. Those family members however don't live within the reach of my WiFi network...

How can I import their LastPass vaults into 1Password for iOS?

If iTunes file sharing (restore Mac backup) was available my problem would have been solved, but that won't be available until iOS8 is released I've read.

How long is the current sale still valid?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Well assuming the move from LastPass to 1Password would be a one-off, you could use a trial copy of 1Password for OS X for the conversion and then delete it. I don't think anybody at Agilebits would have issue with that given the goal is to get 1Password for iOS populated with passwords. I don't believe there is a way to import directly from LastPass to 1Password for iOS.

• Hi guys,

@littlebobbytables‌ is correct, that could be one way of getting it done. If your family members have a PC or a Mac, they can download the trial version from our site and they can sync the data file over the Wi-Fi to 1Password on their iOS devices.

The sale will be expiring soon but keep in mind that we do offer a 30-day money back promise on any purchases.

@XIII‌:

If iTunes file sharing (restore Mac backup) was available my problem would have been solved, but that won't be available until iOS8 is released I've read.

That's correct, we've re-implemented the Restore from Backup option in the iOS 8 update.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited August 2014

Thanks! Gifted both family members 1Password (for iOS) while its still on sale.

Might try sync via WiFi with a laptop and a trial version of 1Password, but I am actually now considering using my Dropbox account to manage their vaults on my Mac and share them.

How safe would that be? (they "using" my Dropbox account on their iOS devices)

(I use 2FA on Dropbox)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @XIII‌

Thanks so much for your support of 1Password! I am so glad you are thinking strongly about the security of your data - thats what we like to see!

We are very confident about storing 1Password data in the cloud, as your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. In short, we believe it is just as secure as having the data on your laptop. To learn more about cloud data security, have a read through the following article.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html

And you can see the thoughts behind our data format's design here.

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Security/keychain-design.html

Also, you can check out our blog for many more articles that go into the nitty gritty math behind what makes 1Password so secure.

http://blog.agilebits.com/tag/cryptography_/

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited August 2014

Thanks Megan. However, I'm actually not very afraid of storing the data in the cloud (I'm currently still a heavy LastPass user).

I'm more curious about how much access I give my family members to my Dropbox account when I allow the 1Password App on their devices to access my account. Will their 1Password only access the 1Password folder in my Dropbox account? (read/write) Or my entire account? And only their 1Password App, or also other Apps on their account?

Or would it be smarter to create a (single) separate Dropbox account just for (partially) "sharing" our vaults?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @XIII‌

Thanks for clarifying your question. There are two ways that you can share 1Password data with your family through Dropbox:

1. Give them your Dropbox username and password so that they can log in to Dropbox with your account on their computers. In this case they will have full access to anything that you store in Dropbox.
    2. Have your family members sign up for their own free Dropbox account. Then you can share a folder from your Dropbox account to their Dropbox account. Then only the things that you save into that folder will be accessible by them. You could store your secondary keychain in this shared folder.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

About scenario 1: What if I log in on their devices (once) without telling them my Dropbox credentials? (in 1Password, without installing the Dropbox App)

About scenario 2: Does syncing both ways still work in that scenario?

(I do some system administration for them, so ideally both they and me can update their vault without losing data on either side)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @XIII‌,

About scenario 1: What if I log in on their devices (once) without telling them my Dropbox credentials? (in 1Password, without installing the Dropbox App)

Once 1Password is set up to use Dropbox, it does not require the Dropbox app or the Dropbox credentials to be re-entered. However, there are situations where, if something were to go wrong with 1Password, re-authentication with Dropbox might be required as a part of the fix. So scenario 2 is likely going to provide a smoother experience for all.

About scenario 2: Does syncing both ways still work in that scenario?

Syncing does indeed work both ways. :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Ah, that's good to know. I'll probably go for scenario 2 then.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @XIII‌

Sounds like a good plan to me! I hope set-up goes smoothly, but you know where to find us if you have any questions. Happy Friday!

This discussion has been closed.