Sharing unique secondary 1P4 vaults via DropBox with individual users

Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Community Member

I’m running current versions of Mavericks and 1P4 for Mac on a MacMini (A),
and 1P4-IOS on an iPad (B).
DropBox is working on both (A) and (B) in that I can share pds and txt files from (A) to (B).

So far, my primary vault and all logins have been created on (A) - with nothing yet on (B)
I would like to create and maintain full control of additional vaults on (A).

My goal is to share unique secondary vaults via DropBox, each with a specific User (2nd vault on B), (3rd vault on C), etc
… WITHOUT sharing my primary (A) vault at all.
(It might be OK for Users B, C, D,… to have and control their own primary vaults,
but I don’t need or want to be directly involved with such “primary" vaults)
I keep reading the User’s Guides and recent "sharing"posts here, but now have gotten myself totally confused !

I have NOT yet been able to find a so-called “1Password.agilekeychain file” on (A).
(There are two “1P4 license” files on (A) but their timestamps are a minute apart,
so maybe having 2 files is due to me double-clicking the license download.)
Discard one of them ???

Can you give me a fresh start on finding the “agilekeychain” file, and how to use it… Please !

Comments

• Hi @Lamplighter‌,

The 1Password.agilekeychain file is created when you sync to Dropbox. It does not exist until then. AgileKeychain is our sync format.

So, to sync your primary vault to your iPad, use this guide to set it up on the Mac.

Once that is done, you can then set up the iPad to sync.

That should have your Primary vault syncing.

Next, let's talk secondary vaults. When you sync these, they are synced completely separately from your Primary vault. This is what makes them easy to share. First, create a secondary vault by clicking 1Password > Create New Vault on 1Password for Mac. Then, go to 1Password > Preferences and click Sync, and set it up for Dropbox. If you plan to share this (let's say with someone named Susie), then I would create a new folder in Dropbox named 1Password Susie, and save the secondary vault's sync file there. You can then share that 1Password Susie folder to Susie.

You can, of course, find more information on sharing a vault here.

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    edited August 2014

jChrisdj Thank you very much for the starting points...

_So, to sync your primary vault to your iPad, use this guide to set it up on the Mac.
    Once that is done, you can then set up the iPad to sync.
    That should have your Primary vault syncing.
    _

But, but, but...

" ...My goal is to share unique secondary vaults via DropBox,
    each with a specific User (2nd vault on B), (3rd vault on C), etc

WITHOUT sharing my primary (A) vault at all.

(It might be OK for Users B, C, D,… to have and control their own primary vaults,
    but I don’t need or want to be directly involved with such “primary" vaults) ... "

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Lamplighter‌

If you would like to keep your primary vault on your local machine only, you certainly don't have to sync it. And syncing your primary vault to Dropbox as @chrisdj suggested does not imply that you are sharing that vault with other users.

I think the confusion came in because you talked about having 1Password 4 for iOS on your iPad. In order to get the data in 1Password 4 for Mac on your Mac Mini onto your iPad, you would need to use some form of sync, whether Dropbox, iCloud or Wi-Fi.

I hope this helps to clear things up. If you have any further questions about Chris's instructions, we're here for you. :)

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member

Thx Megan... I did make the wrong assumption about syncing the primary vault
    as being the same thing as sharing it. I'll use all this and go ahead with the plan.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Lamplighter,

I'm glad we got it straightened out - vaults can be a bit complex to wrap your head around at first, but once you get used to it, I think you'll really find them useful!

Please let me know how your setup works. :)

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member

OK, now I may be confused again.

First, should I assume the following is all normal 1P4+Dropbox actions and files ?

I activated the “Sync to DropBox" on Mac (A), and 1P4 went through what
    seemed to be an appropriate sequence of creating the agilekeychain file.
    But then some msgs started coming up:

… on Mac (A)
    1) “You will be asked to disable syncing to choose a different sync option”
    Button: Change Syncing <- which I clicked

2) “Disabling Sync - 1 Password will no longer sync with Dropbox”
    Ckbox: “Delete Data from Dropbox
    Button: “Cancel”
    Button: “Disable Sync” <- which I clicked

Then I was taken back to the 1P4 Sync desktop on Mac (A)
    where the 1P4 DropBox drop down menu now has 3new items.
    Each item has the same code string but different extensions, and a button to “Share Link”

If these are to be used, how do I identify which item to share with other users (B,C,D,…etc) ?

Later on, I went to iPad (B) and found a complex structure inside the DropBox folder…
    1Password / Password.agilekeychain / 1Password.html / + more folders and files
    (some with tombstone extensions, some with help files, ....)

Can I now assume that iPad (B) will be able to share a unique secondary vault from (A) via DropBox ?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Lamplighter‌

It sounds to me like you had correctly set up sync for your primary vault with Dropbox.

In order to share data with others, you'll want to create secondary vaults, like @chrisdj suggested above. There's a guide to help explain this feature: 1Password's Multiple Vaults, and a second guide that provides details on how to share a non-primary vault. Once you have secondary vaults created for each of the users you wish to share with, you can move items from your primary vault into the secondary vaults using the Item > Share menu.

If we're still not providing you with the precise instructions you're looking for, perhaps it would help if you would describe exactly the situation you want to achieve. For example, how many vaults do you want and on which computers and devices (or Dropbox accounts) do they need to end up on:

• One vault for me with all my personal information - this vault should be synced to my iPad as well
    • One vault shared with Johnny (business stuff) - separate Dropbox account
    • One vault shared with Bill and Susie (family stuff) - this vault should be on my iPad as well

Once we know what your end goal is, we should be able to provide the steps to get you there. :)

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member

Hi Megan. OK, I think I know where I'm going now... with many thx to you and to chrisdj... let me see what I can do now with all this help.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Lamplighter,

I'm happy to hear @Megan and @chrisdj‌ were able to help you out get this confusion sorted out! And if you still need any further help please don't hesitate to ask. :)

This discussion has been closed.