1Password Public Beta 4.6.BETA-1 (406001) can not sync and Touch ID is not working on iOS 8 beta 2

Options
songsak
songsak
Community Member

From the time I start using this beta I have problem with sync 1Password is not not sync with iCloud or Dropbox (have not try with Wi-Fi yet). Even start as a new user I still having the same problem and no error show on screen. Some time 1Password shut down itself and reset my iPhone.
Touch ID is not working the switch auto turn off every time I try to turn it on.

Comments

• MrRooni
    Options

Hello @songsak, I'm sorry for the trouble you're having. Where in the sync setup process do things go wrong for you? It sounds like you may be seeing some crashes as well, has the app asked you to submit crash reports after they happen?

We've seen many reports of Touch ID not working, but one thing that may help is disabling Touch ID in Settings.app and then reenabling it.

• tapzapp
    tapzapp
    Community Member
    Options

Touch ID is not working for me in beta 19 either. I never get prompted for my finger print. I only ever get prompted for the master password. I have Touch ID enabled in 1Password and it stays on. It just doesn't do anything.

Also, iCloud sync isn't working either. When I tap on Start Syncing and then tap on "Sync with iCloud", a view that says "Sync with iCloud" appears momentarily but then just gets dismissed. I can see a line that says "One moment please..." appear in the view, but then it goes away with the view.

• walderston
    walderston
    Community Member
    Options

[BUG] iCloud sync is currently under construction. - taken from the update emails.

You need to change when the Master Password is requested. In Settings-Security change the request after there. I have mine set to 30 Days and my touchID works a treat.

• tapzapp
    tapzapp
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. I missed the iCloud line in the readme.

But I still can't get TouchID to work. I set the master password to ask after 30 days. Toggled Touch ID, set it to Lock on Exit and Request Fingerprint After 5 minutes. When I exit the app and re-launch, I'm asked for the master password. No Touch ID.

I know the suggestion is to disable Touch ID on the device and reprogram all your fingerprints, but I don't understand why that would be necessary. My own app requests Touch ID when I have it enabled just fine. So it's not a third party app issue as far as I can tell.

• tapzapp
    tapzapp
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni‌ I enabled the "Use iOS Keychain" option under Advanced. I'm not quite sure how resetting my Touch ID finger prints will cause the Master Password to be stored in the keychain properly. I tried changing the Master Password to see if that would force it into the keychain. Touch ID is working in my own app just fine.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @tapzapp‌,

I know the suggestion is to disable Touch ID on the device and reprogram all your fingerprints, but I don't understand why that would be necessary. My own app requests Touch ID when I have it enabled just fine. So it's not a third party app issue as far as I can tell.

We've filed radars with Apple on this and so far, we haven't gotten any responses back. The fact is that when dozens of our beta testers reprogram the fingerprint database + passcode, it then works perfectly for 1Password. It's a one-time process, and once you do it, it works consistently, our testers never had any issues again.

Note it is not just for TouchID as well, we had the same issue when we request the passcode from iOS. It seems iOS 8 doesn't like new apps accessing the security framework with an older fingerprint/passcode database. In fact, we had to change several things as it was too unstable to use on iOS 8.

Here's the workaround that works 99% of the times:

1. Open the app switcher and quit 1Password
    2. Go to the iOS Settings app, turn off TouchID (both for unlocking the phone and for iTunes and App Store).
    3. Disable the passcode
    4. Re-enable my passcode
    5. Turn TouchID back on
    6. Turn TouchID on in 1Password
  • MikeT
    Options

Hi @tapzapp,

I explained the reason in the other thread here. At the moment, it's likely a bug in iOS 8 and the workaround is to do a full reset with TouchID and passcode. It may be a bug in our code but we haven't found any way around this. It doesn't affect anybody at once either.

• tapzapp
    tapzapp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT‌ Ok, well I'll wait for the next iOS beta to see if they fix it. I was just trying to avoid having to reprogram all my fingerprints.

Well, I'm sure you're doing something similar, but this is all I'm doing to make it work in my app:

LAContext *myContext = [[LAContext alloc] init];
    NSError *authError = nil;
    NSString *myLocalizedReasonString = NSLocalizedString(@"To grant access to your data.", nil);

if ([myContext canEvaluatePolicy:
                LAPolicyDeviceOwnerAuthenticationWithBiometrics error:&authError]) {

[myContext evaluatePolicy:LAPolicyDeviceOwnerAuthenticationWithBiometrics
                  localizedReason:myLocalizedReasonString
                             reply:^(BOOL success, NSError *error) {

// Check success flag and take appropriate action.                          

}];
    } else {
        // Could not evaluate policy; look at authError and present an appropriate message to user
    }

• tapzapp
    tapzapp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT‌ Ok thanks. I guess I'll give that a go. I read this post after the other one, so hadn't caught up on it yet.

Alright. That did it.

It also still works in my app Tap Forms.

Thanks!

Brendan

• MikeT
    Options
    This discussion was created from comments split from: The big thread on TouchID issues with 1Password 4.6 betas.
  • MikeT
    Options

Hi @tapzapp‌,

I split your other posts from the other thread and merged them in here, so we don't have to split our conversation in two separate threads.

I'm glad you can confirm it works after resetting the TouchID database. We of course don't want to make a lot of folks do this when iOS 8 is released, so, hopefully, we'll find a better workaround. We'll look at your code and see if there's any difference in our code that might contribute to this issue. Thanks for sharing it with us!

This discussion has been closed.