Size of 1Password on iPhone vs on Mac

Options
luccallens
luccallens
Community Member

Was wondering why on my Mac the size of 1Password is about 120MB and on my iPhone is 720MB. I sync via Dropbox so I figured it should be about the same size. Is it possible to reduce the size on iPhone? Or can I just uninstall 1Password on iPhone and reinstall?

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @luccallens,

A few things that could explain the size:

1. Are there multiple vaults in the iOS app that the Mac app don't have? Check in 1Password's Settings > Vaults on the iOS device
    2. Do you update your attachments a lot? Like adding attachments, deleting them and adding a new version of the attachments? Right now, any deletions on the Mac are not sync'ed to the iOS app, the iOS will retain all copies (a bug we'll fix). Resetting the data in the iOS app will help with this, reinstall isn't required.
    3. It might be backups in the iOS app, we've changed how iOS create backups in the next version to be on-demand rather than creating new ones automatically.

If you're not sure what's up, please email us at support+ios@agilebits.com, and we'll help you figure this out.

• luccallens
    luccallens
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT

Thx for replying. To answer your questions:
    1) Only 1 primary vault
    2) I don't update them very much. All are static documents. But how to reset 1Password's data in iOS? Is there such an option inside the app?
    3) That's what sounds the most logical to me: the backups. However, the backups are located in the Library, not on Dropbox...

Cheers,
    Luc

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You can reset 1P4's data by going to Settings > Advanced > Erase Data and Settings. Just be sure that's really what you want to do!

Stephen

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @luccallens‌,

That's what sounds the most logical to me: the backups. However, the backups are located in the Library, not on Dropbox...

I'm confused, can you tell me where you saw 720MB on iOS from? If you can provide a screenshot, it'd really help.

There should not be any differences in the Dropbox folder, that's the truth server that pushes down your data to all devices. To have one device with different data, it'd mean the sync isn't working.

• luccallens
    luccallens
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MiteT,

Sure I can. Sorry for the late reply, was out of the country. First one is a screenshot of the app on my Mac, second one is on my iPhone. Well, guess you know which is which when you see them.

However sync seems to work just fine. Both ways. I just tested it and changes on 1Password on OSX are also reflected on iOS and vise versa.

Thanks,

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @luccallens,

Thanks for getting back to us with those screenshots! It looks to me like you might indeed be running into option #3, as @MikeT suggested. This bug (where 1Password hogs a bit more backup space than it should) has already been resolved by our developers, and you'll see a fix in an upcoming version soon.

For the time being, we should be able to get you sorted out by resetting the data in your iOS device, as @Stephen_C suggested:

• Go to Settings > Sync and select 'Sync Now' (we want to be sure that any changes you've made on your iOS device are synced to the cloud before we wipe the data from the device!)
    • In Settings > Advanced, select 'Erase Data and Settings'
    • When you re-open 1Password, you'll set it up as a new user and find your existing data in Dropbox.

This will clear those extra backups out of the way.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask - we're here to help! :)

ref: OPI-1199

• luccallens
    luccallens
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

Thanks. Depending on your definition of "soon", I can just let it be. It's not really bothering me as I have space enough on my phone. However, if soon means in a few months, then I might consider your solution. I'm more curious about why the difference in file/application size rather then being annoyed by it.

Thanks & regards,
    Luc

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Luc ( @luccallens )

I can't say exactly when the next update will be available, but I think it's safe to say that it won't be a few months. :) I certainly don't blame you for being curious though!

We're here if you have any further questions or curiosities. :)

This discussion has been closed.