My one regret with 1Password

prime
prime
Community Member

When I got this app I looked for a while on password managers. iCloud Keychain came out and I figured I would wait, but liked the stuff 1Password had to offer. I bought it one day and when it had me set up my master password, I used one I knew I never used before. It's long to most people, but I feel it could be longer and more secured. I thought about changing it, but I read that it's not a good idea so I didn't. I saw a post here on how to export my info, change my password, and then import it again (forgot where). It didn't look that hard and I might do it someday when I have time.

So that is my only regret, so maybe it will be easier to change my master password in the future?

Comments

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member

Hi, I'm no expert on this.
    But my understanding of the issue with changing the master password is that it has to do more with encryption and decryption then 1Password software setup.

There are several posts about difference between authentication and decryption. Personally I would also prefer to just change the master password and render the old one old. But that is not how that works. I can live with that knowing some of the technical reason behind it.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Why do you think that it is not a good idea to change it?

There should be no problem. The only caveat to that is that you may need to change it on each device that you use.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @prime,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here! You're right, changing your Master Password does not re-encrypt your database. This is why we suggest that you pick a strong Master Password when you start using 1Password, and then stick with it. Khad has a great discussion on this topic here.

If you do want to re-encrypt the database, you'll need to export and then import into a fresh vault with the new Master Password. :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

Well I'm going to do this and that was the link. It doesn't seem hard at all and I'm going to move the existing vault from Dropbox and save it on my desktop somewhere. This way I have a back up of what I currently have, and disable the sync from my iPad and iPhone also. I won't delete the apps from the iPhone and iPad until the "new" 1Password is set up on my Mac Mini. Once the new vault is set, I'll just delete the apps, re-download them, and re-sync them to Dropbox.

Thanks @Megan‌!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I got it all done and it almost seems like in Mountain Lion the library folder is almost hidden. I had this issue before with it too. Now that I changed some folders and added "_OLD" at the end of it, do I need to keep those folders since they were replaced?

@Megan‌ would you know or would this be a @khad‌ question? :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @prime,

in Mountain Lion the library folder is almost hidden. I had this issue before with it too.

The Library folder is hidden by default. The files and folders in the Library are required for your applications to run, but aren't anything that users need to see or have access to on a regular basis, so the Library is kept out of sight so you don't have to worry about it.

Now that I changed some folders and added "_OLD" at the end of it, do I need to keep those folders since they were replaced?

Once your database is safely imported into the new vault in 1Password, you can delete those old folders.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions! :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

Thanks, it was a big help!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @prime,

So glad that we're slowly getting things sorted out for you. :D I hope 1Password works smoothly for you from now on, but if you hit any snags, you know where to find us!

This discussion has been closed.