confused with Folder Sync

Options
insanelygreat
insanelygreat
Community Member

Hello,

I am using 1Password for Mac on two Macs and want to sync my vault between them. I do not want to expose my vault to possible attackers so I don't want to use Dropbox or any other cloud service but use folder sync instead. I don't have my two machines running all the time so a shared folder on any of the two machines is not a solution as a location for the sync folder. I do not have a always-on network drive either. For me, it would be sufficient to sync the vault from time to time so I thought I could use a USB drive.

What I did was closing 1Password on machine 1, copy the vault from the sync folder to the USB drive, closing 1 Password on machine 2 (so that it would not interfere with my sync action), copy the vault to the sync folder on machine 2 an start 1Password on machine 2. I would expect it to notice the changes "hey, here are new items" and copy them into the local vault, but instead I get a warning that something is wrong.

What's the difference between my sneakernet USB drive solution and say a folder on a network drive? Machine 1 writes all its data to the sync location, later, I turn on machine 2 and it detects the differences. (I expect you have tested the feature in some way and it worked)
When I disable folder sync before copying the vault to machine 2 it works but this can't be the way it's meant to work.

BTW: Your forum pages do not support PFS which is a bit strange for a security software company. Maybe you could fix that so I do not have to change my browser settings every time I want to visit them.

Regards,
Chris

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Chris, ( @insanelygreat ),

The issue you're having using Folder Sync like this is caused by replacing the entire Agile Keychain that 1Password is configured to sync with (one one Mac) with a different Agile Keychain (from the other Mac). 1Password (mini) tosses up the 1Password Sync - Problem detected notification because Folder Sync no longer sees the same Agile Keychain that it's been configured to sync with.

An alternative would be to configure Folder Sync on each Mac to sync with the same Agile Keychain stored on your USB drive, which has been supported since version 4.3:

• Now you can sync your data file using a USB drive
    • Added support for syncing with removable USB drives.

When a removable volume with an Agile Keychain configured to Folder Sync is unavailable, 1Password will detect it and skip syncing:

Tue Aug 26 00:29:29 2014| 442004 [SYNC:0x7f907a231060:<OPSyncMonitor: 0x7f907725ff80>] S _runWithTheLockAcquired | Skipping sync because removable volume not found for '/Volumes/Untitled/test.agilekeychain

And syncing will resume when the volume and the same Agile Keychain are available again:

Tue Aug 26 00:37:52 2014| 442004 [SYNC:0x7f907a6681d0:<OPAgileKeychainSyncer (/Volumes/Untitled/test.agilekeychain) 0x7f9079f10b00>] S main | > Sync started
    …

Configuring Folder Sync with a network volume isn't currently recommended because 1Password doesn't handle its (un)availability in the same way as a removable volume. If 1Password wants to access an unmounted network volume you could get a server connection request from OS X, e.g.:

There can be other types of connectivity issues that will triggering 1Password Sync notifications.

Our forum is not ideal for secure communication yet. I'll check into the possibility of supporting (P)FS; I'm not familiar with its details. There's information about using PGP mail for communication with us in @jpgoldberg's post here:

How To: Securely communicate with AgileBits support

I hope that helps. :)

• insanelygreat
    insanelygreat
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that's even easier than I thought. I will switch my sync folder to a USB Drive.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds great, @insanelygreat. :)

Let us know if you run into any configuration or usage issues with this!

This discussion has been closed.