problem with the short cut command-\ in Safari

I just installed 1Password and I have the exact same problem as described in https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/25694/problem-with-the-short-cut-command-in-safari-moved-to-private-email - when I press Cmd-\, I get sent to https://agilebits.com/extension/activate/safari (a page that responds with "Bad Request"). 1Password Mini pops open at the same time.

Unfortunately, the solution to this problem was not given in the other thread, so could you let me in on it? It would be very frustrating to have to click around every time to fill in a password.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @masto. Welcome to 1Password and the forum!

I'm sorry you're off to a rough start getting the filling shortcut to work with Safari. The issue reported in that other topic you referred to, and its resolution, turned out to be rather complicated. The trouble you're having should be a lot easier to find and fix.

The first thing to do is check whether any of the troubleshooting tips in this article apply to your configuration:

1Password is not filling in my Logins

And simply restarting your Mac may help, if you haven't already done that since the problem started.

If you're still stuck, please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com. A quick comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful so we can keep an extra eye open for it. :)

After we've seen the report we'll be able to better assist you with getting this sorted out. Thanks in advance!

• I only just remembered to check back here for a response, and as I was doing so I think I accidentally discovered the problem. I noticed I had "1PasswordAgent" running with what looked like the version 3 icon. After killing the process, the shortcut started working properly. So I think this was some leftover from having previously had 1Password 3 installed. I've owned 1Password for many years and through several upgrades, but never actually used it, and only recently decided to get off my butt and start replacing my memorized passwords with a password manager, so I'm not surprised I had some detritus on my machine.

Thanks for your response, sorry I didn't get to it sooner.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @masto,

I'm happy to hear that killing the 1PasswordAgent background process, which is indeed a leftover from version 3, fixed your trouble using the Command-\ shortcut with version 4. No worries for the delayed followup. :)

Here are steps to thoroughly remove 1PasswordAgent so it won't intrusively reappear again:

1. Open Finder and select Go to Folder… under the Go menu.

2. Enter ~/Library/LaunchAgents text (e.g. copy & paste) and press the Return (or Enter) key.

3. From the Finder window that opens delete the ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist file, if it exists.

4. Select Go > Go to Folder… in Finder again, enter ~/Library/Application Support/1Password text, and press Return.

5. From the Finder window delete the Agent folder, if it exists.

6. Empty Trash, restart your Mac, then Empty Trash again (if non-empty).

The ~/Library/Application Support/1Password folder is used by 1Password 3.

The ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4 folder is only used by 1Password 4. If you're satisfied with 1Password 4 and have backups for it dating back at least 30 days you could optionally delete the entire ~/Library/Application Support/1Password folder used by 1Password 3 (including its backups). But we don't generally suggest its removal; there are cases when being able to recover older 1Password data there has turned out to be useful.

These are the main forum Notification Preferences you might want to adjust:

The Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions option applies to topic bookmarking. To (un)bookmark a specific topic, click the star at the top of its page next to the gear and just above the POST A REPLY button. It'll be yellow when it's bookmarked:

When unbookmarked, it's just an uncolored outline:

Please let us if there's anything else we can help you with or questions we can answer. Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.