Have an old PRIMARY vault and a NEW vault. How to switch?

Options
fbarthelme
fbarthelme
Community Member

And I just read a lengthy and ridiculous thread about doing this which made me so angry I could spit. It involved stopping parts of the program and doing various other things in TERMINAL and generally more fooling around that I'm ever going to bother to do. So if there's not an easy way I'm going to switch to another program.

Isn't there a MAKE THIS VAULT PRIMARY order on drop down menu? And if not, why the heck not? Isn't that just one of the most obvious and fundamental functions that any password program needs?

Please tell me it exists and I just can't find it. Been using 1PW for several years and would prefer to continue.

Comments

• Hi @fbarthelme,

Sorry for the trouble! So we can give you some specific (and hopefully easy) instructions, could you please email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with your forum username and a link to this discussion, to: support+forum@agilebits.com

This will provide us with more information about your current setup, and allow us to provide you with specific steps.

A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• littlebobbytables
    Options

If you've been using 1Password for several years you must know how relatively new secondary vaults still are, more so if you read the forums at all.

If all you want to do is swap all the items between two vaults and don't care that the passwords don't change that's pretty doable. All you'd have to do is create a third vault to act as a temporary repository as you move all items in a circle until everything is in it's desired location.

The only other suggestion I can think of is to export each vault into a .1pif file, wipe 1Password and then import the files into fresh new vaults.

Neither suggestion would require playing with the terminal but neither is as simple as a contextual menu which you're hoping you've missed (which you haven't).

• Hi @fbarthelme‌,

I just did a search and did not find any open tickets with the email address you used to register in the forum. Have you sent the diagnostic Jasper asked for? We'd love to help you get squared away quickly and easily.

• walajm
    walajm
    Community Member
    Options

I have 2 macs running 1Password. Using dropbox, I transferred all new passwords from mac 1 to mac 2.
    Problem is with Mac 2. Now I have 2 vaults on mac 2. The "primary vault" has old invalid passwords,the secondary vault has the new correct passwords. When I create a new username and password for a new website on mac 2, it saves the data in the "primary vault", with no choice for saving to the correct secondary vault.
    Further, I don't want to switch vaults every time I use 1Password.
    Is the a way to make the secondary vault the "primary vault"?
    Or can I delete the primary vault containing my old passwords?

• walajm
    walajm
    Community Member
    Options

I wholeheartedly agree with fbarthelme. I transferred all new passwords from one Mac to my second Mac. Fine, but now I have 2 vaults-the "primary vault" has all my old passwords, and it's a pain in the ass to use. Whenever I create a new user account on a new website, the saved username and password are saved into the primary vault only. Why can't agile make a simple command to change a vault from primary to secondary or vv? Jeeeez!!!!
    And to ask fbarthelme to send a diagnostic log? Don't you guys get the point he and I are making? >:P

• walajm
    walajm
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the harsh words. Found a way to transfer all my new passwords from the secondary vault to the primary-- see ____"Really? You can only save new logins to your primary vault!? Really Really?"____ in this forum. Just go into secondary vault, select all items (all passwords) , click on icon, then select move. Works like a charm.

• walajm
    walajm
    Community Member
    Options

Just found a way to transfer all my new passwords from the secondary vault to the primary-- see ____"Really? You can only save new logins to your primary vault!? Really Really?"____ in this forum. Just go into secondary vault, select all items (all passwords) , click on icon, then select move. Works like a charm.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @walajm,

To keep everything under one roof, I've merged your multiple vaults-delete or change primary? topic into this one where you'd also posted some similar comments. I'm glad that @thightower's reply in Really? You can only save new logins to your primary vault!? Really Really? helped you find a solution for moving your items between vaults!

When I create a new username and password for a new website on mac 2, it saves the data in the "primary vault", with no choice for saving to the correct secondary vault.

As you've discovered, the auto-save window defaults to the Primary vault. You can click the vault icon (like @thightower's reply also mentioned), or use a Command-# (⌘#) keyboard shortcut, to switch to different vault in the auto-save window where you're like to save a new Login item or update an existing one:

Further, I don't want to switch vaults every time I use 1Password. Is the a way to make the secondary vault the "primary vault"?

We do have improvements planned for handling multiple vaults in the auto-save window.

If you're having any other trouble please let us know; we're happy to help!

ref: OPM-1429

• walajm
    walajm
    Community Member
    Options

An additional problem. Now I have one vault in each mac and they match perfectly, but if I create a new item in mac one, then turn on dropbox, all my passwords in mac one disappear-unretrievable.

• walajm
    walajm
    Community Member
    Options

I have 1password running on 2 macs. The vaults in the macs match perfectly, but if I create a new item in mac #1, then turn on dropbox (to sync the new password), all my passwords in the mac #1 disappear-unretrievable.
    (This problem started after transferring all my new passwords from mac#1 to mac#2 using dropbox. Mac#2 then had 2 vaults and I deleted the secondary vault after moving my new passwords from the secondary to the primary vault in mac#2)

• Hi, @walajm‌, I'm picking up this conversation in the email you sent us. Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

@walajm‌,

Sorry for the trouble! So we can give you some specific (and hopefully easy) instructions, could you please email us a Diagnostics Report from each Mac, along with your forum username and a link to this discussion, to: support+forum@agilebits.com

This will provide us with more information about your current setup, and allow us to provide you with specific steps.

A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: I just merged your other thread with this one. It appears you already emailed us. That's great! We'll work with you via email until everything is resolved so that we are not duplicating efforts or creating any confusion. :)

This discussion has been closed.