Need more transparency that this is an application that costs money.

Shaymojack
Shaymojack
Community Member
edited September 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

So I've heard about 1Password before and decided to check it out today. The product pages on the main agilebits website never imply that this is an application that costs money or that the free download is actually a trial. The program itself has no acknowledgement that it's a trial besides a vague "DEMO mode (unregistered)" note in the About section I only discovered after learning about the trial and began trying to figure out what's going on.

Assuming that the desktop apps were free, I installed them on my computers, set them up, and happily paid the fairly low price for the iOS version. Only after looking around a little more while learning to use the desktop app did I discover that I'll eventually be expected to pay for the Mac and Windows versions. For my personal use case, I don't feel that I can justify spending an additional $70 on this software. So what happens when the trial expires? I can't find any information on the agilebits website or even in the 1Password knowledge base. Do I wind up getting locked out of all my accounts because I've used the password generator to replace my passwords with something I can't ever remember without it until I shell out the extra money? I feel completely misled, which is NOT a good thing considering this is a security app I've put all my usernames and passwords into. I believe AgileBits need to add clarifying information on the product pages (https://agilebits.com/onepassword/win and https://agilebits.com/onepassword/mac) near the green download buttons informing users that the download is a trial with the price of 1Password listed. I no longer intend to use the iOS version either and have sent a request to Apple for a refund.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

We're sorry for the confusion, @Shaymojack‌.

Registering 1Password

You can run the full and unlimited version of the software in trial mode for 30 days, after which you’ll be limited to 20 items.

When you’re ready, purchase a license from our online store, carefully copy the license key from the e-mail message you receive, and follow these steps to register 1Password:

In the main 1Password program, choose Help > Enter License Key.
    In the dialog box that appears, paste the full license key; click the OK button.
    In the confirmation dialog box, click the OK button.

Upgrading from version 1

Licensing

If you purchased a 1Password for Windows license…

In 2013 or later: You’re entitled to a free upgrade to version 4! In the main 1Password program, choose Help > Enter License Key, and (if it’s blank) use your existing 1Password 1 license key.

In 2012 or earlier: Continuing to use all the great features of this new version beyond the free trial period requires that you upgrade your 1Password license in our online store.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

So what happens when the trial expires?

Assuming you have more than 20 login items in your vault, you cannot create any new ones.

Do I wind up getting locked out of all my accounts?

No. We never lock you out of your vault.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

As noted in reply #2:

Registering 1Password

You can run the full and unlimited version of the software in trial mode for 30 days, after which you’ll be limited to 20 items.

• tonydew
    tonydew
    Community Member

I'm not affiliated with AgileBits at all, but I'm going to say what probably every official representative is thinking...

Are you serious? Your natural inclination is that "a security app I've put all my usernames and passwords into" should be handed to you for free? The level of presumed entitlement in your post is staggering.

If you go to the store and something doesn't have a giant sign with a price tag on it, do you just pick it up and walk out with it for free?

To the actual AgileBits representatives, I am sorry of I have crossed the line. I hope somebody got a chuckle out of my post before they had to delete it.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I certainly won't delete your post, @tonydew. As far as I'm concerned, you have a right to your opinion, and your post doesn't seem to me to cross any lines of acceptable civility. We welcome @Shaymojack‌'s opinion, as well.

Replies from AgileBits foks are pretty clearly marked with the (agile(bits) "capsule" in the upper right corner, so I think our "official" replies are easily recognizable.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Are you serious? Your natural inclination is that "a security app I've put all my usernames and passwords into" should be handed to you for free? The level of presumed entitlement in your post is staggering.

Well said @tonydew.

Replies from AgileBits foks are pretty clearly marked with the (agile(bits) "capsule" in the upper right corner, so I think our "official" replies are easily recognizable.

You'd think wouldn't you, but I've had numerous instances of people that I've replied to assuming that I represent Agilebits in some way. It's almost as they they can't grasp the idea of a user community and see anyone offering help as an employee.

• I just wanted to say thanks to @RichardPayne and @tonydew - being active in our forums is one of the many reasons why 1Password is awesome - because we have amazing people who love our product, and who want to make things better. Online security is more important that ever before and having discussions about best practices and striving to improve is something we love to see. Today is Thanksgiving in the US, and I'm truly thankful for the great community of people we have supporting our team!

This discussion has been closed.