Dropbox sync stopped working? [1Password 3 for iOS is no longer able to sync with Dropbox]

Kealy Opelt
Kealy Opelt
Community Member

I have 1Password 3.8.21, and the dropbox sync has stopped working. The passwords are no longer syncing to my iPhone 4S which is running 1Password 3.7.2.

I think I saw an email a while back stating that dropbox syncing would stop working, but I can't find it now. I search the website for information but didn't find anything.

How can I fix this? Or what information can I share to get some help with this?

I see that 1Password 4 syncs using the iCloud, are there directions for upgrading to version 4 without losing my password information?

Thanks,
Kealy

Comments

• cwinte
    cwinte
    Community Member
    edited December 2013

I have very similar here, 3.8.20 and then 3.8.21 under osx 10.8.6 and linking via dropbox to iPad1 and iPhone 3GS running 1Password 3.6.5 (also 1PasswordPro 3.7.2). So far I have used wifi synch as a work around but that is really not so good with 3 devices.
    The error messages report

Failed to begin Dropbox sync, unknown error
    {"Error, this app uses a version of Dropbox integration that is no longer
    supported. Please update app or contact developers."
    OAServiceTicket=bad, Request code =400}

Dropbox on ios is 1.5.5 and 2.4.6 on Mac

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Kealy and @cwinte,

Unfortunately, the issue you are seeing is the result of a recent change that Dropbox made to their API. We've written a blog post that should answer most of your questions here: http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/08/08/1password-3-dropbox-sync-faq/

But, the basic gist of things is this: due to these changes, 1Password 3 for iOS can no longer sync via Dropbox. Our new version is 1Password 4 for iOS has been built to work with Dropbox's latest and greatest sync technology. 1Password 4 for iOS has been for sale in the iTunes store since December, as a separate purchase from version 3 (the "old" and still supported version).  We did this because it's basically an entirely new application, built bigger, better, faster, and stronger.  It is also a universal app now, meaning you only require one purchase for all your iDevices associated with your Apple ID, using iOS 6 or greater. Kealy, Since the iOS device(s) you want to run 1Password on are running iOS 6+, the best solution is to move to 1Password 4 for iOS.

You can check out 1Password 4 for iOS in the App Store:

http://j.mp/1PasCS

Once installed, just open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap that you have used 1Password before, then tap Sync with Dropbox.

If you just need a way to backup your data to a Mac or PC for safe keeping, 1Password 3 for iOS has a nifty Backup & Restore option. 1Password can create an encrypted backup of your data file, and you can use a browser on a Mac or PC to copy that file to a place for safe keeping. Here’s our guide to get started with that:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/backup.html

@cwinte, since your device can’t use iOS 6, your best solution for sync is to use Wi-Fi Sync with 1Password 3 for Mac. I know this is not an ideal situation for someone such as yourself who is still using a first generation iPad, so, I'd like to help you understand why this upgrade is happening. The service that Dropbox is retiring is now over six years old. Like Apple, Dropbox is quickly innovating its products. Sometimes, that means a company needs to retire legacy services in order to continue providing the best products possible. And while we'd love to be able to update 1Password 3 for iOS to make it compatible with Dropbox's new API, we're just not able to. When we launched 1Password 4 for iOS last year, we removed our three previous 1Password 3 for iOS apps from sale to avoid confusing customers. Apps removed from sale cannot be updated.
    I do apologize that we don't have a better solution for you here, but please let me know if you have any further questions! :)

• sjd
    sjd
    Community Member

I have been a long term user i=of 1Password 3 and recently upgraded to 1Password 4 for Mac (App store download). I have managed to get dropbox synch to work for two periods (each lasting approximately 4 days) but after this it stops working. My settings are all correct (right dropbox location etc) but the changes made on any machine are not reflected on the others (IMAC, Air, iPad, iPhone) apart from the "honeymoon" period after first setting up the keychain file in dropbox.

This means the new product doesn't fulfil my specifications for password management software. I wish I had never upgraded and can see no prospect of a "fix" from the comments made on this web site. I therefore plan to leave feedback to reflect my experience in the App Store and to score v4 accordingly.

Poor.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sjd,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting Dropbox sync up and running. We did have some pretty annoying syncing bugs early in the release, but our developers have done a pretty great job of squashing them. I'd be happy to help you get syncing behaving properly for you! In order to do so, I'd like to take a bit of a closer look at your system. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Again, you have my apologies for the trouble you have had so far - let's get this sorted out :)

• Kealy Opelt
    Kealy Opelt
    Community Member

Hi Megan,

I downloaded 1Password 4 and pointed it to my dropbox keychain. It prompted me for my master password, I enter it and nothing happens. It does not unlock but it does not complain either. I opened 1Password 3 and entered my master password to make sure I had the password correct and the 1Password 3 unlocked fine, proving to myself I have the right password.

What should I try next?

Thanks,
    Kealy

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Kealy,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting 1Password 4 set up. I've seen a few users report a similar experience recently, and I'm wondering if you can help me track down just where 1Password is getting tripped up.

I'd like you to follow this support article for Starting Over to get a fresh install of 1Password. Then follow our guide to Setting Up 1Password and let me know where you get hung up. If 1Password shows you a screen different than what is suggested in the guide, please take a screenshot. There are instructions on how to take a screenshot here: http://take-a-screenshot.org/. You can save the image to a service like Dropbox or Droplr and include a link in your reply.

Thanks so much for your help, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that 1Password opens properly for you this time. (If not, don't worry, we can still get you up and running real soon!)

• Nicole LaFave
    Nicole LaFave
    Community Member

Am I understanding this correctly, in order to get this to work again, I have to spend another $17 bucks to upgrade software I purchased specifically due to this functionality that was supported upon sale?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Nicole,

I sincerely apologize for the difficulty here. As mentioned above, this came about because of a change in Dropbox's API. Unfortunately we are unable to update version 3 to make use of the new Dropbox API.

If you do not want to upgrade to 1Password 4 for iOS at this time, I would be happy to help you set up Wi-Fi Sync with 1Password 3 for iOS and 1Password 3 for Mac.

Please let me know a bit more about your 1Password ecosystem: what version numbers you are using on each system, and what your operating systems are, and we'll get this sorted out! :)

• Diogo Portu
    Diogo Portu
    Community Member
    edited August 2014

Hello,

So Megan, you are saying that in order to solve this issue I've to buy the new 4 version ? So in the past I've payed 13 euros for the 3 version ..Now this version is not working anymore with sync (which make all the app useless) and you will never update it . Instead I have to pay another 8,9 euros ? Is this your philosophy ? Then one day version 4 will not work with something you create the 5 version and then you will say "oh we are so sorry but you have to buy the 5 version, in order to update, and to solve that issue" .

Have to say 1Password is taking weird ways to get more money that will end up in loosing customers. There are a lot more options beside 1Password for mobile and desktop. I will not buy every year a 1password app for mobile so you correct some things because "dropbox have changed their api" I prefer to change 1password directly.

I have 1Password app version 3.7.2 Nov 2012 (not even a year it lasted, since the update of dropbox api was in september) ...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Diogo,

I sincerely apologize for the trouble you've been having. As I mention above, you do not have to upgrade to version 4 if you're content using version 3. You can keep 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 3 for iOS in sync using Wi-Fi Sync. To make use of Dropbox though, you will need to upgrade at least to 1Password 4 on your iOS device.

Please understand that the change to Dropbox's API came months after we had removed 1Password 3 for iOS from the App Store, so we were unable to make changes to the app so that it would continue to sync using Dropbox. We certainly don't want you to feel forced into an upgrade here, and I'll be happy to help troubleshoot Wi-Fi sync for you if you run into any snags. :)

• Diogo Portu
    Diogo Portu
    Community Member
    edited August 2014

Hi Megan,

Thanks for your reply.
    " As I mention above, you do not have to upgrade to version 4 if you're content using version 3 " but than "To make use of Dropbox though, you will need to upgrade at least to 1Password 4 on your iOS device." So to keep a feature of my paid 3 version of 1Password, dropbox sync, you will have to pay again.
    "Please understand that the change to Dropbox's API came months after we had removed 1Password 3 " Do you understand that I payed 13euros (if I'm not wrong) in November 2012 and the dropbox sync (without that the app is not very useful) and after 10 month that feature was not working ?
    So that means that I have to pay now 8,90 for that feature, and for how long will be working? Another 10 month ? So 9 euros every 10 month ? Or should I ask drop box "will you upgrade your api ? just to know for how long I will be able to use 1Password " .
    1Password can try to excuse it in many ways, but it doesn't make any sense in the software industry . You have feature using an api from a partner and you don't upgrade your previous version because you have a new version that you want your clients to pay for the upgrade. That's a very greedy way to get more money and a very good way to loose customers.

App uninstalled, looking for alternatives.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Diogo,

I've sent you a private message to address your concerns - please check your forum inbox! :)

• BG_agilebits
    BG_agilebits
    Community Member

Hi Megan. I have some feedback for you regarding how agilebits is handling this upgrade. My sentiments are similar to Diogo. I am traveling and just noticed that my passwords were no longer updating on my iPhone 4s. I was unable to access important information for a business meeting. It now appears that a) agilebits was aware that there was an incompatibility that caused Dropbox sync to stop working, b) as far as I can tell, there was never any attempt to contact users via the AppStore to let us know that there was an issue, and c) now, to this customer, it does not sound like you are being straight with us. You tell us we can "continue to use V3". No I can't. The answer is, "you need to buy the new version".

Perhaps a better way to handle this would be to say, "you have been using v3 for a long time. We no longer support it. You got your money's worth, for goodness sake. If you want it to work correctly you need to pay us more money. Get over it." We might not be happy, but this is a much more direct message. Telling me that I can "continue to use v3" is not a very helpful answer. I need to be able to sync, so I cannot "continue to use v3".

I love the product, and I have used it for years. But I am not a happy customer at the moment, having been stranded in Europe without access to up-to-date passwords. It would be great to see agilebits handle this sort of situation better in the future.

Feedback is a gift. Although I am upset, I am not hostile, and I hope you take this information in the positive spirit in which it is offered.

• Hi @BG_agilebits‌,

I just wanted to let you know that today we released 1Password 5 for iOS, which is free to everyone for the Core features. You can optionally pay for the Pro features using an in-app purchase.

I wanted to let you know about this because you can install the free 1Password 5 for iOS alongside your older version. During setup, tap that you have used 1Password before then tap Import from version 3. You can then transfer your existing data to 1Password 3. This will get you on a newer platform, and you can then sync over Dropbox or Wi-Fi to 1Password 4 for Mac. (iCloud is out of the picture for syncing with Mac until OS X Yosemite, due to some big iCloud changes in iOS 8).

You will need to update your device to iOS 8 in order to install 1Password 5 for iOS. Make sure you backup your 1Password 3 data prior to running the big iOS 8 update, just to have a safety net.

This discussion has been closed.