Custom password fields not showing in 1PasswordAnywhere

MStyle
MStyle
Community Member
edited September 2014 in Lounge

When accessing 1PasswordAnywhere all custom password fields are blank. The primary (default) password field displays correctly.

In the attached screenshot there should be a password along with a "Reveal" button next to each security question but there is nothing.

What I tried so far:

• Different browsers: Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer. Custom passwords are blank in all of them.

• Disable Dropbox Sync on 1Password Mac and 1Password iPhone, restart both devices, delete 1Password folder from Dropbox, re-enable sync. Did not help.

• In 1Password Mac, duplicate an existing entry that contains custom password fields. Same problem.

• In 1Password Mac, create a new 1Password entry that contains custom password fields. It worked once, but when I created more custom password entries they again showed blank in 1PasswordAnywhere.

Also, if you look in the top-middle of the screenshot, the word "false" appears 4 times in a row, same as the number of missing custom passwords. Not sure if that's relevant, just thought I would mention it.

Is there anything else I can try to resolve this? Is the issue being addressed and if so, what is the ETA?

Thank you.

Comments

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

Custom fields are a 1Password 4 feature. They don’t work with 1Password 3 on the Mac, with the original 1Password for Windows, or with 1PasswordAnywhere. I have a user account on my wife's Mac, which is too old to run 1P4, and I rely on 1PasswordAnywhere from time to time, so my practice is to avoid custom fields.

The current version of 1PasswordAnywhere is based on the legacy .agilekeychain data format and is subject to more vulnerabilities than the various native 1Password apps, so I would not hold my breath waiting for updates. I am not aware that AgileBits has committed to producing a version of 1PasswordAnywhere that would be compatible with its new .opvault data format.

• MStyle
    MStyle
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply. 1PasswordAnywhere is one of the most important reasons I choose 1Password as my password manager. If I ever lose access to my phone while I'm away from my Mac, it is the only way to access my passwords. (Sure, I could set up remote access to my Mac but that's not as reliable as 1PasswordAnywhere in Dropbox).

That said, looks like the workaround for now is to stop using custom password fields altogether. I would certainly appreciate a comment from someone on the AgileBits team regarding the current plans for 1PasswordAnywhere in general and custom fields in particular.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

There is a comment here from AgileBits about their intention to update 1PAnywhere for version 4 (it's quite an old comment!), but no timetable is given. However, I suspect from that comment we could reasonably deduce 1PAnywhere is not dead. :)

Stephen

• MStyle
    MStyle
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

Good to know, thanks. Looking forward to the next version of 1PasswordAnywhere.

Perhaps in addition to custom fields working, the team will also add the ability to download individual attachments. Then 1PasswordAnywhere will be perfect )

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Apologies for the inconvenience, @MStyle‌! As @Stephen_C mentioned, it's on our (growing) list, but we don't normally give time frames as too many factors (some beyond our control) can affect things. I'll add your vote for attachments, too, though. :)

One thing you might consider is that if you can access your Dropbox data (and thus your 1Password data) on a machine you may also be able to install 1Password on that machine. We wouldn't recommend it for a public computer, but in many cases where 1PasswordAnywhere is handy I've found that I can simply quickly install a copy of 1Password and use the full app (e.g. family and friends' houses). It is obviously not ideal for all use cases, but sometimes the appeal of "web access to your data" can cause folks to forget that their 1Password license allows them to install 1Password on multiple computers (as long as they are the only one using 1Password).

If we can be of further assistance in the meantime, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• MStyle
    MStyle
    Community Member

Thanks khad.

I went through my logins last night and found that, as a workaround, to make custom password fields visible in 1PasswordAnywhere I just need to change their field type from "password" to "text". Of course they are now visible, instead of being masked as sensitive entries should be, but at least I can access them in 1PasswordAnywhere.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

It was pretty late after a long day yesterday, so I'm sorry I didn't mention that myself. I'm glad you were able to find that workaround, though!

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

@MStyle—

Another 1PasswordAnywhere-friendly work-around is to keep some data in a data type that has multiple password fields by default. There are several 1Password data types that have two “native” password fields; wireless routers have three (base station password, Wi-Fi password, and attached storage password).

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

@khad wrote:

sometimes the appeal of "web access to your data" can cause folks to forget that their 1Password license allows them to install 1Password on multiple computers (as long as they are the only one using 1Password).

This is true of copies of 1Password purchased from AgileBits, but not (at the moment) of copies of 1Password for Mac purchased from the Mac App Store. The Standard EULA for Mac App Store apps restricts app installation and use to computers that the user owns or controls, and AgileBits has not (to date) put in place an alternative to the Standard EULA. The Standard EULA also contains an odious “noncommercial use only” limitation for apps purchased by individuals (as opposed to institutions). I am hoping that this will be fixed soon, especially if 1P5/Mac is released exclusively through the Mac App Store.

I raised similar issues regarding the license terms for 1Password for iOS in this thread.

• MStyle
    MStyle
    Community Member

@benfdc wrote:

Another 1PasswordAnywhere-friendly work-around is to keep some data in a data type that has multiple password fields by default.

Haven't tested wireless routers but I tried this with debit cards which have a default "PIN" field and the PIN is not visible in 1PasswordAnywhere, so I had to change its field type to text.

This discussion has been closed.