iCloud app-specific passwords do not affect 1Password

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited September 2014 in Lounge

I see Apple has instigated App Specific Passwords for iCloud access from Oct 1.
Anybody know how this will affect 1Password accessing iCloud for sync?

Comments

• DrVince
    DrVince
    Community Member

Now that Apple is requiring app-specific passwords for iCloud access by third party apps, how will 1Password support this? I didn't see anything germane in the settings. Will there be a patch?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Good question. I don't think it affects the way we use iCloud. We're just writing to CloudKit in your already-signed-in iCloud account on iOS and OS X.

My understanding is that there are some apps which actually prompt you for your iCloud credentials. 1Password is not one of those apps. For those cases, app-specific password is an optional feature which you can use in conjunction with two-factor authentication if you wish. It is the same as app-specific passwords for Gmail. From Apple's "Using app-specific passwords" support article it sounds like it will be rolled out October 1, 2014:

If you use iCloud with any third party apps, such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, or BusyCal, you can generate app-specific passwords that allow you to sign in securely, even if the app you're using doesn't support two-step verification. Using an app-specific password also ensures that your primary Apple ID password isn't collected or stored by any third party apps you might use. Starting on October 1, 2014, app-specific passwords will be required to sign in to iCloud using any third party apps.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Thanks for the response. Sounds like there is no impact.

As an aside its worth noting that (quoting from 9-5 Mac) "iOS 8 landing today ahead of the new iPhone models shipping on September 19, developers are warning users not to upgrade to Apple’s new iCloud Drive feature just yet. The feature, which allows users to store and access files stored in iCloud on Mac, Windows, and iCloud-enabled iOS apps, is available to users on iOS 8 starting today, but won’t be available for Macs until Yosemite is released later this year. That means that upgrading today will cause syncing issues for apps that previously used other methods of syncing between Macs and iOS devices" See http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/17/developers-warn-ios-8-users-not-to-upgrade-to-icloud-drive-before-os-x-yosemite-release/

Reckon that would be an easy mistake to make.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Reckon that would be an easy mistake to make.

Indeed. We've put it at the top of our iCloud in 1Password 5 FAQ (among other places). Spread the word.

<3

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @DrVince‌! I've merged your post with this existing thread. Please see above and let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Cheers! :)

• pszego
    pszego
    Community Member

Any possibility of getting an "iCloud Apps" category, or something of the like? In the mean time, I've just created a folder - it works, but it just isn't as elegant :blush:

• Hi @pszego,

A folder is a great idea. :)

I will also pass along your suggestion to our developers. Thanks for the feedback!

• sunfish
    sunfish
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

I have turned on 2 step check in with apple. Now I have applications on my Yosemite mac which need app specific passwords. Such as fantastical. My 2 question do I use apples service to generate the password? and do I then save that password to the keychain? I tried saving the pw to 1password but it doesn't seem to get synced across computers. Would that be right? After some time fantastical again requested an app specific pw when I saved the password to 1pass. Mai is there something unique going on with app specific passwords and iCloud sync that 1pass doesn't handle or I am I just goofing up?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

Hi @sunfish,

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

Now I have applications on my Yosemite mac which need app specific passwords. Such as fantastical.

I just want to make sure that we have our terminology correct here. An 'app specific password' is a password you will create within your iCloud account to allow a third-party app to access iCloud without giving that app your Apple ID. Does Fantastical require iCloud access? Or are you simply creating a username and password for Fantastical?

My 2 question do I use apples service to generate the password? and do I then save that password to the keychain?

If Fantastical is requesting an app-specific password to access your iCloud account, there are instructions for setting up an app-specific password in Apple's support documentation.

If Fantastical is simply requesting a username and password from you, you can use either Apple's service or the password generator built into 1Password to create a password for these apps. I would recommend saving the details into 1Password - that's likely why you have 1Password around, to save those annoying passwords so you don't have to remember them. :)

I tried saving the pw to 1password but it doesn't seem to get synced across computers.

This sounds like something might be up with sync. In order to get this sorted out, I'll need to know a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem:

• What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?
    • What are you using to keep things in sync?

The more detail you can provide, the more quickly we'll be able to get you sorted out!

This discussion has been closed.