Problem syncing iOS 1Password3 to upgraded account

My laptop hard drive that was running 1Password3 failed. No backups available, and I was syncing to my iphone via wifi.
So good news is that my iphone has all my passwords on it.

So i've backed up the data thats on my iphone, and want to upgrade my phone and desktop versions to 1Password4.
Here lies the problem...

Dropbox sync from my iphone won't work because of the old version it's running (3.6.1).
Wifi sync from my iphone to a legacy version of 1Password3 that i've downloaded doesn't seem to exist in the legacy version (3.8.22)?
1Password4 on the iphone won't accept a backup file from 1Password3 iphone file...

Can you suggest how i can somehow get all my data off my iphone into the new 1Password4?
Do i need to try a different legacy desktop version that i can sync via wifi to, then upgrade from that?

Thanks,
Bridget

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Bridget ( @Riebe ),

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting 1Password upgraded! Unfortunately, because you're using version 3.6.1 of the iOS app, you're missing a handy little update that will allow you to easily import your data into 1Password 4 for iOS. So, we'll need to do a bit of fancy footwork to get this up and running.

• On the old 1Password 3 for iOS, do a backup of the data to your computer. This will create a .1ptbackup file, which can only be restored to 1Password 3 for iOS.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/backup.html

• Go to App Store > Purchased (on iPhone go to App Store > Updates > Purchased) and search for 1Password there. Make sure it appears in your purchase history. If it does not, stop here and reply to me.

• If 1Password 3 does show in your purchase history, close the App Store, then delete 1Password 3 for iOS from the device. Now Reopen the App Store and go back to the purchase history.
    • The old icon should be visible with a cloud icon next to it. Tap the cloud icon to re-download.
    • Open 1Password 3 for iOS, and set up the same passcode and Master Password as you had before.
    • If you get prompted to import, tap that you will do it later, but do not tap that you never want to see the prompt again.
    • Restore the .1ptbackup file according to the restore instructions in the previous link.
    • Close both 1Password 3 for iOS and 1Password 4 for iOS from the multitasking view. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5137
    • Launch 1Password 3 for iOS, and tap that you want to begin the import when you are prompted.

This should get all of your data nicely imported into 1Password 4 for iOS. After that it, you can choose iCloud, Dropbox, or Wi-Fi to sync your data to 1Password 4 for Mac.

• Riebe
    Riebe
    Community Member

Hi Megan,
    Thanks for the help - after destroying my laptop, and moving countries i'm now setting up my laptop again from scratch, and have finally gotten around to getting 1Password back up and running.
    When I get to step 2 listed above - 1password does not appear in my purchase history.
    I have my purchase receipts for all versions if you'd like to see them.
    Again - thanks for the help,
    Bridget.

• Hi @Riebe‌,

Unfortunately, the receipts won't help us very much. We don't have access to Apple's purchasing and record keeping system. May I ask, are those receipts using the same email address as you currently use for your Apple ID? All iOS purchases are tied to the Apple ID used to purchase them.

Make sure you are signed into that Apple ID in the App Store, then check the Purchased section again and look for 1Password.

• Riebe
    Riebe
    Community Member

Ok, have got as far as the last step in the process - but when i reopen 1password3 for iOS there is no prompt to import? I made sure not to click the "do not prompt again" when it came up. So my 1Password 3 for iOS is (as previously) running with all my data in it. Still need to get that data into the new iOS software, and then into the new desktop software.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Riebe‌

Could you please try fully quitting 1Password 3 for iOS? When you re-open it, it should prompt you to import. :)

• Riebe
    Riebe
    Community Member

Thanks for the help - things are working now, but in case anyone else has this problem i'll add my notes below.

__
    When i followed the instructions above the apps were fully quit - no apps running at all.
    So i've re-deleted both apps (1password3 and 1password 4) from my iphone.
    Re-downloaded both.

Opened 1Password 3 and chosen the same codes/passwords i originally had.
    Next screen asks for 3 options - Import data into the new app / Do not ask again / Cancel.
    I chose cancel.

Restored the backup file.

This time... at the end of the restore process it asked me if i'd like to import the data into the new app - that didn't happen last time.
    So now all my data is happily in the 1Password 4 for iOS app, and I can sync that to the desktop version.

• Hi @Riebe‌!

Glad to hear it worked this time! Sometimes that process can be a little finicky to get started. Now that all your data is in 1Password 4 for iOS, you should be able to sync it with a service like Dropbox in order to use it on other devices.

Just so you know, we released 1Password 5 for iOS the other day. This will be available to you as a completely free update when your device is running iOS 8 (as it requires the new system). We're really proud of how the new 1Password 5 for iOS turned out, as it now has the ability to use Touch ID and also has Safari integration through extensions.

This discussion has been closed.