1Password on iPhone 4S Will Not Open After iOS 8 Install

Options
canaanskier
canaanskier
Community Member
edited October 2014 in iOS

So after upgrading to iOS8 1Password will not open on my iPhone 4s. I have tried deleting and reinstalling from the app store and this didn't fix the problem. Is anyone else having similar issues? When I tap the app it goes to the 1Password lock screen but the text entry box doesn't open up and then the app crashes.

Comments

• BambooSpiritMA
    BambooSpiritMA
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having a similar issue. I just got 1Password for my Macbook Pro. Installed same on my iPhone. I want to sync through wi fi. But 1Password on my iPhone crashes every time I input the master password. Yes, I've double check and triple checked that I correctly inputted the "secret." HELP!

• canaanskier
    canaanskier
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue but I have a 4s that was working fine until today's update.

• Hi folks,

Please try rebooting your iDevices:

Ben

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @canaanskier‌

Have you tried @Stephen_C's advice of quitting and re-opening 1Password? If that doesn't work, I'd love to know a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem:

• What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?
    • What are you using to keep things in sync?

The more detail you can provide, the more quickly we'll be able to get you sorted out! :)

• canaanskier
    canaanskier
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

I have tried restarting the iphone multiple times without effect. Nor does reinstalling the program resolve the problem.

Thanks.

• canaanskier
    canaanskier
    Community Member
    Options

This just began today after the latest update to 1Password.

• canaanskier
    canaanskier
    Community Member
    Options

The only platform I have issues with is an iPhone 4s running the latest version of 1Password available on the app store. My MacBook Pro and iPad are fine and syncing is working without issues.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I'm going to suggest you answer @Megan's questions. Doing so is likely to get you the help you need faster.

• canaanskier
    canaanskier
    Community Member
    Options

Hawkmoth I suggest you reread my response to @Megan and her questions. I don't think I could have been more clear.

• canaanskier
    canaanskier
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I could be more descriptive.

Macbook - Mavericks with 1Password 4
    iPad Mini iOS 8 - Latest version of 1 Password available on the app store.

I use iCloud for syncing.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @canaanskier‌

I apologize for asking for information that may seem obvious. But with so many variables potentially involved here, ensuring that we have a detailed description of the issue that you are seeing and your 1Password ecosystem really helps us to quickly identify and solve the issue. (Often what seems like the same issue may in fact be something different!)

When you open 1Password on your iPhone, what do you see? Are you presented with a lock screen with no keyboard? Do you see an error message? Did you follow Stephen's advice above and force-quit 1Password and try again?

As a final note, you mention using iCloud sync and the "latest" version of 1Password. The latest version of 1Password for iOS 8 is 1Password version 5.0.1. If you are using this version you will be unable to sync to 1Password 4 for Mac on Mavericks using iCloud, as 1Password 5 for iOS takes advantage of updates to iCloud sync that will not be available on Mac until Apple releases Yosemite. You might want to consider switching to Dropbox or Wi-Fi until the new operating system for Mac is ready, but we can worry about that once we've gotten this other issue sorted out for you! :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options
    This discussion was created from comments split from: 1password app on my iphone 5s with with new ios8 added--will not open.

Hi @canaanskier‌

It seems we've been attempting to help you in two different spots. I've merged our discussions into one thread so that we have all our information in the same place. Let's keep the conversation going in this thread so we're not duplicating efforts or causing confusion.
  • canaanskier
    canaanskier
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan, Thanks! When I try to open 1P on my iphone 4S the grey screen with the lock in the middle pops up for maybe 20 seconds and then it goes away. There are no error messages or other information that gives a hint of what is happening. There is no keyboard. I have tried to reset the phone and force quit as well as delete and reinstall the program 1P. I am not concerned right now about being able to have the MacBook and iphone sync through iCloud and understand that this will not be possible until Yosemite drops. The issues I am having may be related to ios8 and may need to wait to be resolved until Apple updates the OS. Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @canaanskier‌

Thanks so much! That's just the information I was looking for. It's an odd issue that I haven't heard of before. Let's take a closer look at your device to see if we can figure out where things are getting tangled up.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• canaanskier
    canaanskier
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I sent the information you requested just now. I included the crash report on the windows 7 PC as I could not send you the Diagnostics Report as 1Password does not load on the phone.

Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @canaanskier,

We've received your crash report - thanks for sending it in! I've updated the email thread with the necessary details from this forum discussion so that it is easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some further information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: WRP-64148-165

• bradh
    bradh
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

FYI, I'm having this same problem, but with an iPad2. After upgrading to iOS8 and installing 1Password 5.01 on my iPad, I can no longer open 1Password: it opens in a frozen state, crashes after a minute or so, and continually reopens. I can't submit a crash report because I can't get to the settings (can't interact at all with the app). I'm using Dropbox for syncing.

The app on my Mac works fine, no problems.

Note that I did have a problem after upgrading to 1Password 4 with 1Password not syncing to my most recent Dropbox file; I didn't notice this until fairly recently and didn't get around to trying to fix it.

I tried deleting the app from my iPad, restarting the iPad, and reinstalling. No dice.

• canaanskier
    canaanskier
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks bradh. After updating iOS 8.0.2 still no difference. I experience the same behavior as you on the iphone 4S.

• bradh
    bradh
    Community Member
    Options

I also updated to 8.0.2 today but that didn't solve the problem. Strange!

• Hi @bradh,

Is 1Password the only one having issues on your iPad? Also, when you install iOS 8 on your iPad, was it a clean install or was it an update from iOS 7?

• bradh
    bradh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT -- good questions, in fact I discovered last night that other apps are having issues: I can't open the Dropbox app, I can't open PayPal, and a few others are crashing. They all behave the same way as 1Password: they open in a "frozen" state (can't interact with them at all) and then crash after 15-20 seconds.

iOS 8 was an update from iOS 7. I'm wondering if the iPad2 isn't quite as compatible with iOS 8 as Apple claimed it was.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Do you make regular backups of your iOS device?

If you do why not try a factory reset. According to the instructions that should download a fresh copy of iOS and leave your device in a clean state. From there you can try restoring a backup and seeing if it behaves any better.

• canaanskier
    canaanskier
    Community Member
    Options

I resorted to restoring the iphone 4s as a new phone. This resolved the issues I was having with a number of apps including 1Password. Apparently it was not a seamless transition with the upgrade from 7.1.2 to 8.0.1 or 8.0.2. Thanks to all the support folks at Agilebits who looked into the issues I was experiencing!

• bradh
    bradh
    Community Member
    Options

I tried a factory restore and then used the backup to restore my apps and data; no dice -- 1Password crashes on open, as do several other apps (Dropbox, PayPal, etc.). I'll try restoring the iPad as a new iPad and see if that works.

• bradh
    bradh
    Community Member
    Options

FYI, restoring as a new iPad worked! I thought this would be a big pain as I would have to re-download all my apps etc., but in fact it's been like a spring cleaning: there are a bunch of apps I stopped using or never used at all. 1Password and Dropbox are working flawlessly now, and the iPad is back to its old speedy self. Thanks for the suggestions here!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @canaanskier‌ and @bradh,

I am so glad to hear that @littlebobbytables‌' suggestion of a clean install got you back up and running! I'm using an iPad 2 as well, and have been noticing a bit of sluggishness that I was blaming on old tech with new iOS. I think I'll have to follow @bradh's lead and do a little spring cleaning tonight. :)

If either of you hit any further snags, you know where to find us - we're here to help!

• canaanskier
    canaanskier
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan, Good luck that! FYI I did not restore a backup and instead reloaded my applications fresh from the app store. I had tried restoring to a backup and the problems persisted. The only thing that worked for me was to set up my phone as new. Cheers.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @canaanskier‌

Ooops, sorry for misunderstanding - thanks so much for clarifying. :)

This discussion has been closed.