Feature Request: QWERTY keyboard for iOS

Options
Mitchla
Mitchla
Community Member

My 1Password master password uses a series of punctuation marks designed for the QWERTY keyboard. It's really easy to do when I'm on my Mac, but really difficult on my iPhone where you have to go from screen to screen accessing various punctuation marks. I'd love it if there was some way the IOS version had an option of calling up a standard QWERTY keyboard. Thanks.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Mtichla,

It always takes me a few extra seconds to enter my Master Password on my iOS device too, so I feel your pain here. :) At this time the keyboard you see is one provided by iOS, not 1Password, so we don't have a lot of flexibility in determining what keys are shown there.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you here but please let us know if you have any further questions!

• Mitchla
    Mitchla
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Megan. Couldn't you create your own standard keyboard in the iOS app and not use the stock one?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Until iOS 8 arrives, I don't think developers can use specialized keyboards. But one of the features of the next iOS version is supposed to be provision for specialized keyboards.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Mitchla,

As @hawkmoth says, custom keyboards are not currently available on iOS. The feature will be available in iOS8, and I'm sure our developers are exploring this new option, but I can't say at this time a custom keyboard is being planned for 1Password.

For now, it might be helpful to note that iOS does support Bluetooth keyboards, so if you are keen on having a full Qwerty keyboard at your fingertips, you do have a few options. ;)

• Mitchla
    Mitchla
    Community Member
    Options

I very much hope that now that iOS 8 is out, we can have a standard qwerty keyboard, or some form of keyboard that has !@#$%^&*() on it. Thanks.

• Hi @Mitchia,

It is not possible to do that even on iOS 8. The key thing to keep in mind that the master password field in 1Password is a secure field, meaning that it is isolated by iOS to prevent other processes from listening in and that includes custom keyboards. You may notice that custom keyboards aren't allowed in any secure fields in all apps on your iOS devices.

At this point, it won't be possible to customize the keyboard on the lock screen, we need the standard iOS keychain in order to provide that security against keyloggers.

This discussion has been closed.