Feature Request: Item type management

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

Hello,

I'd like to request a new feature: item type management

Currently, our vaults are made of of items, that is Logins, Secure Notes, Passwords, etc. This is great, and I've got quite literally hundreds of different items saved in my personal vault, and I've no doubt others reach well into the thousands or tens-of-thousands. But there are some types I never use, like credit cards. Call me paranoid, but I would prefer to keep those offline entirely. Also, there seems to be a list of "secondary" types, like Driver's License, Passport, Bank Account, Servers, WiFi, etc. These seem to be secondary only in that they don't show up on the sidebar in the main window. That I don't personally use them doesn't mean much -- I'm sure someone does or they wouldn't exist.

So, under the heading item type management, I'd like to be able to control which types of items show up in the sidebar and in the drop-down menu for creating a new item. Similar functionality used to exist in 1Password 3, if I'm not mistaken; if it exists in the current builds of 1Password 4, the location of that functionality eludes me.

In addition to being able to control which item types I am able to see, I would like to request the ability to create new item types. Today, I use existing types to create a template of sorts. For instance, I do a fair amount of work with Amazon Web Services, and make heavy use of IAM Users. I'll take a Login item, add a number of fields to it for my convenience, and save it as "IAM User Template", and then duplicate this "template" when I need to store a new user in my vault. It's effective, but it's hard to group them all together and get a quick overview of how many IAM Users I have, or find the one I want quickly. Similarly, I create templates for things like X.509 certificates, GPG and SSH key pairs, and so on.

Again, under the heading of item type management, I'd like to be able to convert my templates into actual item types, so I can better organize my vault(s).

For me, that would be a killer feature. I'm hoping other folks would find it useful as well, and will chime in on this thread saying so.

-Jim

Comments

• MRMAZ25
    MRMAZ25
    Community Member

I'm with you brother! I came from MSecure and I could do this all day long. 1Password makes me feel like I'm wearing shoes that don't fit, that everyone can fit into their small box they have created, what gives? This is a must have in my opinion!

• @JimMc‌ I can't offer you much but maybe I can suggest a tweak to your template that may reduce one small issue. In the template, if you add a tag e.g. IAM Account then that tag will be on all your items created from that template - I do this myself. That way the tag counter will instantly tell you how many and allow you a way to easily see that group. Just a small workaround that may make your current situation a little more bearable, until an update brings us more customisable categories anyway.

• degolden
    degolden
    Community Member

I would also like to +1 this. There are many types/Categories that I only have one entry for (Passport/Drivers License/ SSN) and would prefer to be able to merge into a single category.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

In the template, if you add a tag e.g. IAM Account then that tag will be on all your items created from that template - I do this myself

I do this as well. I've got a largish number of tags already... simply expanding that part of the UI makes me a little crazy, because I've gone overboard with it, and haven't invested the hours it would take to undo it. But it's a great suggestion none the less!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

Hi @JimMc,

Thanks for your detailed request, describing the style of item type management that you'd like 1Password to support. And thanks for your followup votes, @MRMAZ25 and @degolden.

@littlebobbytables already mentioned the tagging suggestion, so currently there's that. :)

Custom categories and item templates are long requested features we have for 1Password. That's something we want to do, although it is not easy to implement due to the way we've designed 1Password.

Support for hiding unused predefined categories in the sidebar, and item creation of them, has also been requested.

I've added everyone's interest in this to existing feature requests in our internal database. Thanks again!

ref: CSI-10, OPM-616, OPM-1512, OPM-1643

This discussion has been closed.