How do I create new items to the pre-populated list?

MRMAZ25
MRMAZ25
Community Member

I want to add new items to the pre-populated list that is standard with 1Password. I want to add new items that I need and then add the categories in the new item so it makes sense for me. I came from Msecure where this was easily done and I just can't seem to find where this info is. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• If I understand your correctly you're after new categories? e.g. you want to record something as a debit card rather than a credit card (that's just one off the top of my head that I've seen requested a couple of times, you probably have your own specific needs).

Sadly that isn't possible at the moment but I believe AgileBits have it on their list of customers' requests. People ask for new categories every so often and the general consensus seems to be customisable categories will be the only way to appease everybody in one go. What they don't tend to do is give away ETAs I'm afraid.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

There is just one other small point to add. Be aware that when you first install 1P4 you won't see all the available categories in the side panel. If you press the large + sign in the menu bar of the main app you'll find a number of other categories which appear only once you create an item in them. You probably know that already but I thought it worth just mentioning.

Stephen

• MRMAZ25
    MRMAZ25
    Community Member

This + sign that has all of the items listed is exactly what I want to change. Why is that such a big deal to agile bits? MSecure would let me make my own and put exactly what I wanted in that item from scratch. I guess I just don't get it. Are these pre-populated lists editable? Can I make most of what I won't use in their item list at least fit my needs. If not this is very disappointing and I might have to go back to MSecure for the flexibility of their system that I am really missing right now! C'mon agile Bits get with it and give us some flexibility, one size does not fit all.

• Item types, categories, call them what you will but at the moment they aren't editable and the + button for creating a new item, that isn't configurable either. AgileBits acknowledge there is the interest in a more generalised, configurable system and they aren't saying no - they just haven't said when. My understanding is promising features has come back to haunt them in the past so they've adopted a different tactic to avoid disappointment. If the ability to configure types is a deal breaker then you may find 1Password just isn't to your taste at this moment.

• MRMAZ25
    MRMAZ25
    Community Member

I appreciate it, thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MRMAZ25‌

I just wanted to pop in here with an "official" response. What @Stephen_C and @littlebobbytables‌ have told you is true - at this time, it is not possible to add or edit the existing categories. This is one of our most popular feature requests, however, and I'd be more than happy to add your vote to the request in our internal tracker.

Please understand that we would love to offer users this kind of flexibility, but it is not a simple addition from a coding standpoint. A lot of stuff has to be redesigned in the backend to allow for edits and changes here.

I wish I had a better answer for you here, but we very much appreciate your feedback!

ref: OPM-1643

• MRMAZ25
    MRMAZ25
    Community Member

Like I said I can build categories from scratch in Msecure. I guess they approached building their app in a different way. Thanks

• Hi @MRMAZ25‌,

@MrC‌ Has a fantastic and concise explanation of why some apps can easily switch categories and why it is more complex for us to implement.

This discussion has been closed.