4.6b2: Weirdness with accessible text

tjcarter
tjcarter
Community Member

A lot more of 1P now works with scaleable text sizes automatically—actually that's true about iOS 8 in general, YAY! Unfortunately if you are basically a blind guy like me and you have the text size set to OMG big, text looks strange because the containers just aren't big enough in the iPad version. Can you figure out how big the font is (haven't tried yet) and perhaps grow things like the fill pop up in 1Browser etc. based on that?

Also minor, but using my iPad in landscape mode and setting up sync the first time resulted in some text stuck in portrait mode when authorizing Dropbox. Didn't get a snapshot of that, sorry. Can provide some of the mega font if desired. :)

Comments

• Hi @tjcarter,

1Password isn't fully optimized yet for the Dynamic Type feature but it is on our list to keep improving on 1Password. Once it is optimized, the app should be fully scalable to the font size you pick.

Also minor, but using my iPad in landscape mode and setting up sync the first time resulted in some text stuck in portrait mode when authorizing Dropbox. Didn't get a snapshot of that, sorry

Yep, I saw that as well. It is likely an iOS 8 bug than 1Password because I've seen it in other apps as well. Hopefully, it'll be fixed in the next iOS 8 updates as they did fix the keyboard rotation issues in the second beta update.

• tjcarter
    tjcarter
    Community Member

My current iOS 8 niggle in beta 2 is the inability to hide that soft keyboard when using BT… Beta 3 is downloading now.

Regarding the dynamic font size… The biggest thing is going to be that you'll want to make the containers big enough. This is actually a problem for me in Safari on websites like Facebook. I can easily use a larger font, but the text boxes are the size they are (one line) and they tend to grow by an increment of hardcoded pixels as the text expands past one line. So here I am with basically a blog post as a FB status update, and I can only see two lines of text at a time. UGH! 1P uses some smallish-sized popups based on the assumption that the text inside them is small. When it's bigger, they'll want to grow a bit.

Hoping for bigger 1Pmini fonts on the desktop as well, but as I just noted in another thread, I'm staying clear of Yosemite for another beta or two. I'll report back any interestingness in beta 3 if it is different, and as always I'll be following the betas pretty closely on my iPad for now.

• Hi @tjcarter‌,

Right, once the dynamic type feature is implemented for the popovers, it should grow to fit the text within reasonable limits, rather than staying still while the text grow big.

• mkleehammer
    mkleehammer
    Community Member

Is dynamic type enabled when looking at an item"s screen? It would be very helpful if the passwords were large role but none of the fields seems to be the same size as the example text in the dynamic text screen

• Hi @mkleehammer,

Right now, there is no dynamic type support in 1Password. It will be added in the future.

• tjcarter
    tjcarter
    Community Member

The other weird thing is when I sync using large text size, the progress "bounces" up and down. It's kind of weird. Need two posts for two images, so…

• tjcarter
    tjcarter
    Community Member

See how the size is changing?

The other bug I mentioned is one where somehow it loses sync, but when you select the vault in Dropbox, it says it's already on the device and refuses to sync. At the time I needed a fix RFN, so I nuked the app and reinstalled fresh from HockeyApp. Of course, I don't see the problem now, and I'm not easily able to force the condition so that I can give you a proper versioned report (there's been at least one update since, so the problem may have been squashed already…)

• Hi @tjcarter‌,

I can confirm the bouncing effect. It is probably the result of us refreshing the Last Sync text field to reflect how many seconds has passed. I've recorded the video of it for the developers to see and we'll get it fixed.

As for the Dropbox sync issue, that should already be fixed. Can you recall if that happened in the 1Password 4.6 beta 24 and if yes, was there anything out of the norms that happened with your Dropbox folder before the sync breaks down?

• tjcarter
    tjcarter
    Community Member

Nothing that could explain the weird sync issue. I'll report back if that happens again.

• Cool, thanks!

• tjcarter
    tjcarter
    Community Member

On the subject of accessibility issues, minor, the beta stripe to the extension icon in the next beta would be w good idea. :)

• MikeT
    edited September 2014

Hi @tjcarter,

We do say 1Password beta under the icon when you tap on the share button. The icons have to be grayscale to match with the rest of the icons and I'm not sure the stripe would look good there. We don't do it for the desktop browser extensions either, it is the same icon as the stable version.

We'll think about it. Thanks for the suggestion.

As for the rest of the accessibility issues, they're still open in our tracker, and haven't been fixed yet. We will get to it as fast as we can.

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

Steps to reproduce:

1. Select a larger than standard font in the iOS system settings Settings > Display & Brightness > Text Size >
    2. View the sync screen in 1PW and you will see something like:

Firstly you will notice that the large font setting is not respected on every field.

Secondly you will notice that a gap pulses between the Last Sync and Items line as the screen is repainted with updates on sync status.

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

Related to this post. Might it be possible to get all the 1PW displays to reflect the iOS Text Size settings? I've noticed that support is a bit random in the settings screens and has no effect in the main data screens (logins for example).

My aged eyes are now at the point where I needed to use specs for most iPhone usage before iOS 8. The new Text Size setting seems to apply to more apps and is fantastic for me.

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

Sorry, I just saw that my post duplicates the discussion here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/26583/4-6b2-weirdness-with-accessible-text#latest

• Hi @Penelope Pitstop‌,

I just wanted to let you know I've merged both threads as you're right, they're related. As you may have noticed my posts, 1Password is not yet fully optimized for Dynamic Text Size and we do see the weird pulsing issue. We'll get these fixed as soon as possible.

Thank you as usual for reporting these!

• tjcarter
    tjcarter
    Community Member

Only tangentially related, but while we're talking about beta and accessibility, it'd be a nice thing if the beta's extension icon had the beta stripe on it. Apple … does not leave these extension icons where you put them reliably, and the word "beta" gets cut off. :P

• Hi @tjcarter‌,

You're not the first to request that, we'll see what we can do. Thanks for letting us know this would be useful for you.

This discussion has been closed.