Do I really need to unlock 1Password every time I want to use a login in Safari?

fourwheelcycle
fourwheelcycle
Community Member

I am a current user of 1P4 for Mac. I just downloaded and synced the free version of 1P5 for iOS on my iPad with iOS 8. In Safari on my Mac I am used to clicking the 1P4 key icon to fill in my logins, but in Safari on my iPad it appears I need to go to a website login page, like Amazon or Gmail, then click the Share icon, then click 1Password, then unlock 1Password every time I want to use a login.

Why doesn't 1Password remain unlocked as long as I don't lock or sleep my iPad? Typing in my 1Password master password every time I want to fill in a login creates as much work for me as just typing in my name and password myself for each website.

Also, in 1P4 for Mac I can go to my logins and double click any login to go to that website. I don't see any way to do this from my iP5 for iOS app, either from the logins list or from the favorites list.

Am I missing something about how to use 1P5 for iOS with Safari?

One note, although I don't know what it means I have changed my User Agent in 1P5 for iOS to Safari. Should I have done this, or not?

Comments

• NickM
    NickM
    Community Member

In 1Password settings on iOS you can change whether it locks itself and you can set a time period for it to remain unlocked.

• Hi @fourwheelcycle,

First of all, please ensure the PIN code is enabled, and the Master Password timeout is set for quite a bit longer than the PIN timeout (under Settings > Security).

Also, do you have Settings > Advanced > Use iOS Keychain enabled?

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

NickM and JasperP,

Thanks for your comments. I have 1P5 Master Password Request After set to 1 hour. I did check again - even though my Master Password is set to Request After 1 Hour I still have to type it in again each time I go to a new web site in Safari and click on Share to use a 1P5 login, even if only a few minutes have elapsed since I unlocked 1P5.

I do not have the PIN Code enabled. Before I installed 1P5 I did have the PIN Code enabled, but the whole point (for me) of using 1P5 is to remove my passwords from Safari and lock them behind my 1P5 Master Password. Now that my passwords are protected in 1P5 I am less worried about anyone picking up my iPad and looking in Safari to find my passwords, so I have stopped using my PIN Code.

I do not have Use iOS Keychain enabled in the Advanced Settings, mostly because my PIN Code is not enabled, but also because I do not understand how the iOS Keychain works - if I store my 1P5 Master Password in my iOS Keychain is there any way it could flow back to Apple over the internet??? My goal is to never have any of my passwords pass through iCloud or Dropbox, or otherwise leave my local devices (except for syncing over my home wifi network).

Also, I do not have Lock on Exit enabled, since I don't know what that means - does it refer to exiting my iPad session (by closing the iPad cover), does it mean leaving my 1P5 window and going to another window like Safari, or does it mean sliding 1P5 upward on my iPad Opened Apps window to fully close 1P5? Once I type in my Master password I want 1P5 to remain unlocked for 1 hour, or until I close my iPad cover or slide 1P5 upward to close it.

Finally, I still don't see any way to go into 1P5 and click on a login (in the full list or in the Favorites list) to go directly to that web site in Safari. This is possible in 1P4 for Mac - is this not possible in 1P5 for iOS?

Thanks for any further comments!

• Pebowski
    Pebowski
    Community Member

Exact the same issue here with me.
    Regards,
    Peter

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @fourwheelcycle‌ and @Pebowski‌

Thanks for confirming your settings here! Now, please note that using the iOS keychain to store your Master Password will provide you with a more reliable experience for your lock settings. I'd be happy to explain how this works (it is a bit confusing at first.)

In earlier versions of 1Password 4 for iOS, the lock settings were dependent on 1Password remaining open in the background. When the iOS would quit the app to reclaim memory resources, users would be prompted for their Master Password upon re-opening, regardless what their auto-lock settings were.

By providing the option to store your Master Password in the iOS keychain, we are able to respect users' lock settings, even if the iOS closes 1Password in the background.

It is important to note here that your Master Password is stored as a temporary item, so it never leaves your device - it is not synced to the cloud or any of your other devices.

Also, I do not have Lock on Exit enabled, since I don't know what that means - does it refer to exiting my iPad session (by closing the iPad cover), does it mean leaving my 1P5 window and going to another window like Safari, or does it mean sliding 1P5 upward on my iPad Opened Apps window to fully close 1P5?

In this case, 'Exit' refers to leaving the app. Any time you switch away from 1Password, you will be required to enter your Master Password when you switch back to the app.

Finally, I still don't see any way to go into 1P5 and click on a login (in the full list or in the Favorites list) to go directly to that web site in Safari. This is possible in 1P4 for Mac - is this not possible in 1P5 for iOS?

1Password's extension on iOS isn't quite as powerful as the desktop's browser extension (yet). Some of this is due to limitations of the iOS, and some is simply because it's a new feature and we're still testing out all of the cool things that we can do!

If you're in 1Password and would like to open a URL, you have two options. You can tap the URL and have the website open in 1Browser. In this case, 1Password will fill your details automatically. If you press on the URL (tap and hold), you'll bring up a menu that will allow you to open the URL in Safari. In this case, 1Password will not automatically fill in your details. This is for security reasons: the extension does not do anything without your express consent, so when the webpage loads in Safari, you'll need to tap the extension and then select the Login that you wish to be filled in on the page.

I hope this helps to explain things, but if you have any further questions, we're here for you! :)

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

Thanks Megan.

Here is what I'm learning - although perhaps this is not the most efficient way to use 1P5 and my iPad!

If I forsake Safari on my iPad and only use 1Browser for all my browsing 1P5 will never re-lock because technically I am not leaving 1P5 when I go to a 1Browser page. I have a limited number of frequently used Web sites on my iPad - my Gmail and office Outlook mail sites, Amazon, Weather.com, CNN, etc. Some require passwords and some do not. I already have logins for the password sites in 1P5. It turns out I can also make non-password logins for Google.com, CNN.com, and Weather.com (for my home town) and then put all of these frequently used sites into my 1P5 Favorites.

Now when I pick up my iPad I can unlock 1P5, go to my Favorites page, and then check my emails, the weather and news, my Amazon account, and even browse from Google.com - all without leaving 1P5 and without having 1P5 re-lock every time I go to Safari web page.

Yea!

(Unless there is some problem I have overlooked)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @fourwheelcycle‌

I'm so glad to hear that you found a solution! 1Browser is a good option here, I think. Of course, we'll work on ensuring that the Safari extension gets better at respecting your lock settings so that you can use the browser of your choice, but I do like your workaround here. :)

• beverly
    beverly
    Community Member

I am having the same problem. Enabling iOS keychain did not help. I am still being prompted for the master password every time that I try to access 1password via Share. Do you have any other suggestions? Using 1Browser is not really an option.

I am running 1password 5 on iOS 8.1 on an iPad Air.
    I have auto-lock set to 1hr. And lock on exit disabled.

• Good morning, folks. Sorry for the trouble you're running into here. We have identified a problem in 1Password for iOS where, if you don't have PIN code unlock or Touch ID enabled, 1Password will not respect your auto lock settings when using the 1Password Extension. At this time there is no workaround for this problem, besides enabling PIN/Touch ID within 1Password. We are working to figure out a solution.

This discussion has been closed.