Clear out redundant passwords in 1Passwords 4?

Options

I just found this in your blog. How do I accomplish this in 1Password for Windows? I haven't noticed it being in the app.

blog.agilebits.com/2013/12/19/1password-for-mac-tip-one-click-to-tidy-up-your-vault/

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On Windows, we move your Generated Password to the Trash automatically (when you save/create a new Login item having the same domain+password combo).

Alternatively, you can see your duplicate Login items here: View > Duplicated Passwords

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

On Windows, we move your Generated Password to the Trash automatically (when you save/create a new Login item having the same domain+password combo).

Alternatively, you can see your duplicate Login items here: View > Duplicated Passwords

I'm not seeing that many passwords with Duplicated Passwords. I have lots of orphaned generated passwords.

Erring on the side of caution is the reason these redundant Generated Password items are around in the first place. In many cases, we can detect when a Generated Password item becomes a Login, and we automatically convert the item to get it out of your way.

Bonus Tip: click any Generated Password item, then click the Convert to Login button at the bottom to perform this process manually.

However, in some cases, we can’t detect this Password –> Login process. Instead of guessing wrongly and deleting an item that you actually need, we play it safe and keep them around. But with this Remove Redundant Generated Passwords tool, we gave you a choice and a quick way to do some spring vault cleaning.

Thanks!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm not sure what you mean by "orphaned generated passwords," @wkleem‌, but let us know if there's anything we can help you with!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

There are passwords unassociated with any accounts, usually unnamed passwords. Also, when I save passwords from Change Passwords in the Security tab, There are generated password without indicating which accounts it belongs to, therefore it looks orphaned to me.

Bonus Tip: click any Generated Password item, then click the Convert to Login button at the bottom to perform this process manually.

I cannot find a way to Convert to Login in Windows.

However, in some cases, we can’t detect this Password –> Login process. Instead of guessing wrongly and deleting an item that you actually need, we play it safe and keep them around. But with this Remove Redundant Generated Passwords tool, we gave you a choice and a quick way to do some spring vault cleaning.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The Duplicated Passwords list shows you just that: every Login item that has the same password as some other Login item in your vault. This is useful because it's generally considered safer to use unique passwords—that is, a different password for each account on each site. The Duplicated Passwords list makes it easier to find Logins with passwords you should consider changing to something else, ideally using the password generator to create an even stronger password, too.

"Redundant passwords" (at least as used in that message from 1Password for Mac) are Password items that simply duplicate Login items in the same vault. There is no "clear redundant Generated Passwords" function in 1Password for Windows, at this time.

This discussion has been closed.