Secure Input affecting Keyboard Maestro, Typinator, etc. [Answer in post #5]

Options
teebone
teebone
Community Member
edited September 2014 in Mac

I am experiencing this problem only lately. Keyboard Maestro will popup an error message stating that 1Password is in lock mode or something like that and it says to quit 1Password. Even if I quit 1Password Keyboard Maestro macros will still not work.

What is this lock mode for? (Sorry I do not remember the exact message but those who have this problem should know what i'm talking about.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @teebone,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password and Keyboard Maestro right now. It sounds like an issue with Secure Input. If the 1Password lock screen is visible, Secure Input will be enabled and macros may misbehave. Could you please confirm which version of 1Password you are currently using? There were some issues with this is version 3, but version 4 should behaving properly.

• Bob Shockey
    Bob Shockey
    Community Member
    Options

I am having this exact, same problem, but only in the last couple of days. I can't think of what has changed on my system that would cause this sudden behavior.

• oshloel
    oshloel
    Community Member
    Options

I have found this happening with Typinator occasionally and generally after entering a password in Safari. It seems as though Safari occasionally fails to release the Secure Input mode after logging in to a site. The solution in my case each time has been to quit and re-launch Safari.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Secure Input is something that is enabled and disabled by OS X itself when the cursor focus is in a password field. For better and for worse, it is not something 1Password really has any control over. If your cursor is in the Master Password input field on 1Password's lock screen OS X will enable Secure Input for your protection. It is the same reason none of the text expansion apps can function in any password fields in OS X.

Would love to know some reproducible steps apart from the above, though, if you can provide them. If there's a problem with 1Password we'd love to get it resolved.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having similar issues with TextExpander. It claims that Secure Inputs are enabled when they are not anymore. It looks to me like "sometimes" (and I known that's not a repro step :->) 1Password fails to notify the system that secure inputs are not being used anymore.

I'm sorry I don't have proper report steps at this point :-\

Corentin

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional data point, @cortig! (And it's good to see you here again.) :)

I have a few questions that I would be interested in having answered by you and anyone else having trouble.

1. When the problem occurs, is 1Password locked?
    2. Is the main 1Password app running?
    3. Is the main 1Password app hidden or minimized?
    4. If you switch to 1Password (presuming it doesn't already have the focus) where is the text cursor?

That might help us narrow things down.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Khad,

I didn't post much in the forums lately because I didn't have access to the iOS 8 betas (and for various reasons I can report back on Yosemite). Since I mostly post bugs I see int he betas… :->

I can't say for sure whether 1Password mini is already locked or not when it happens (but I promise to double-check next time).
    The main application is not running though (which implies that I can't really check back where the focus is :-> ).

I'll try to collect as much data as I can next time it happens and I'll report back here.

Corentin

• Hi cortig,

Thanks, any information you can share will be helpful.

• Bob Shockey
    Bob Shockey
    Community Member
    Options

1Password is not running anywhere in the foreground, and I have this problem again today. There is definitely a problem with it locking everything up.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

@teebone,

This has been a known problem for some time.
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/90098#Comment_90098

It used to be worse--as far as I know, it only occurs now if 1P is locked or hidden, so at least that provides a workaround.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Bob,

1Password is not running anywhere in the foreground, and I have this problem again today.

I'm sorry you've been bitten by this again. Can you provide answers for all the questions @khad asked in post #7 so we might get more insight into where the trouble is?

And which application(s) are you running (e.g. Keyboard Maestro) that 1Password's Secure Input has been interfering with?

There is definitely a problem with it locking everything up.

Can you describe what you mean by "locking everything up"? When this happens, are you only unable to use apps like Keyboard Maestro or are there others?

Thanks in advance!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DavidB,

Thanks for the feedback. Has this only been an issue for you with Typinator? I use it (currently version 6.2) and don't recall 1Password unexpectedly interfering with it for quite awhile, maybe never with version 6.

In some testing with TextExpander, its Secure Input detection and handling seems less consistent and predictable than Typinator's. For example, Typinator goes into the Typinator has detected “secure keyboard mode” state as soon as the main 1Password application or mini is active in locked mode. But there's at least one exception: minimize 1Password in a locked state and Typinator drops secure keyboard mode. Maximize 1Password and Typinator doesn't detect secure keyboard mode again until switching away and back to locked 1Password.

We're still looking for reproducible conditions that will cause problems like those being reported.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk,

Yes, it has only happened to me with Typinator. (I don't have any other text expanders.) It disappeared for me sometime around October 2013. I don't know what version of Typinator I was using then though.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the followup, @DavidB. Just to be clear, you're no longer having any Secure Input issues with Typinator (if you're still using it)?

So far it looks like @teebone is having Secure Input issues with Keyboard Maestro, @oshloel with Typinator, and @cortig with TextExpander; I'm not sure about Bob Shockey yet.

One of my colleagues mentioned that TextExpander sometimes get stuck in Secure Input, but because of Safari and not 1Password.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk,

No--I haven't had a problem with Typinator (currently version 6.2, 1Password 4.4.1 Agile Web Store, OS X 10.9.5) since last October, as I posted here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/90098#Comment_90098

In fact, now Typinator works fine for me even if 1Password is locked and hidden, so I have no complaints.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DavidB,

"No complaints" is exactly what we love to hear! I'm so glad to hear that things are behaving for you. ;)

• oshloel
    oshloel
    Community Member
    Options

One of my colleagues mentioned that TextExpander sometimes get stuck in Secure Input, but because of Safari and not 1Password.

Yes, this has been my experience with Typinator also as I noted in post #4 where I was able to get Typinator to release secure mode by quitting/restarting Safari. It's similar to what I sometimes have to do with Mail to get it to release a PDF I've attached to a message so I can delete the original PDF. That being said, I haven't encountered the Typinator/Secure Input issue recently.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @oshloel.

Seems like that long time frustrating issue with attachments in Trash keeping it from being fully emptied until quitting Mail will never be fixed.

If you spot any further trouble between 1Password and Secure Input please keep us posted.

• Nitpick
    Nitpick
    Community Member
    Options

I get the following wether 1password 4 is running or not:

Secure Input is enabled which means the system thinks you are currently in a password field and will not allow applications to monitor the keyboard.

This will stop typed string triggers from working, as well as stop Keyboard Maestro from sensing your keystrokes while setting hot keys.

You will need to find the application responsible (usually 1Password or LastPass or their Chrome extensions) and quit it.

• Hi @nitpick,

Correct, that's how it works. This is an automatic feature of OS X, if it detects a secure field (doesn't always have to be a password, a PIN or security answer as well), it automatically triggers Secure Input mode. Once the field is no longer detected, OS X leaves the secure mode.

Generally, just hiding the app or minimizing it should be enough to get out of the Secure Input mode because if you can't see it, you can't type in it.

This discussion has been closed.