confused ..

Options
BenGee333
BenGee333
Community Member

em@iled support but got no response so i post here in the hope of some clarity and or guidance ..??

VERSIONS:

somehow i have

1Password - 6 June 2014 - 44.7 MB

and

1Password 4 - 4 June 2014 - 61.6 MB

in my applications folder

1Password - 6 June 2014 is version 4.4.1 (441006) Mac Web Store

1Password 4 - 6 June 2014 is version 4.4.1 (441008) is from Agile Web Store

the 1password mini is labeled 1 password mini

the 1password 4 mini is labeled 1 password mini

the old fashioned (with the cog to the right of the search box) 1password mini is labeled 1password mini opens 1password 4

the new (with the vault icon to the right of the search box) 1password mini is labeled 1password mini opens 1password

the data on either is different/ confused/ not syncing up

and on my iPhone i have 1password 5

i could go on but i think you get the idea

please advice

until then i will just make do with running 3 separate systems with different password info in each

confused and frustrated

VAULTS:

waiting on a new comp and will post video (opinions suggestions in the future), there is a part of me that thinks if this app was there there wouldn't be quite so many issues and topics to discuss, vaults being a feature i just feel should be so much simpler (in the words of sjobs it should just work)

don't for a second think that i am disrespecting 1p or underestimating how difficult and big a task it is but i use lesser password apps that allow vaults and sync flawlessly and in a zero complications manner

for me (if i was a developer i would be developing my app to the point that the issues people raise are all gone), i.e. if i have to spend pages and pages explaining to people how to sync vaults i am gonna want to develop that feature to the point that no explanations are needed or necessary

please understand i LOVE 1password but know it is close to brilliant (but not quite :-((( there yet

i literally sit waiting for wonderful that day, more power to you to speed to that day .. :-)))

ben grieve
edinburgh, uk

Comments

• BenGee333
    BenGee333
    Community Member
    Options

don't know why attachments have come out so small ??

just give ask and i can send them direct :-)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BenGee333‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password! It looks like you're somehow using both the webstore version of 1Password and the Mac App Store version. Generally, the solution here is to fully quit the version (including 1Password Mini) that you don't wish to use and simply delete it. However, if you have different data stored in each version we'll need to make sure that your database is complete before moving any further. So, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email(s) before you hit "Send":

[#NKA-21271-591]

This will link your diagnostics to your existing email in to our team and allow them to quickly get up to speed on the issue. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

• BenGee333
    BenGee333
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

hi Megan

yes you're right and i have come to the same conclusions and solutions as you suggest, so am not going to bother to create a Diagnostics Report from my Mac, it's doesn't seem necessary now.

which raises the (politely asked) question

WHY ?? are there different versions in the Mac App Store (the older version build 441006 just titled '1Password') and https://agilebits.com/onepassword (the newer version build 441008 titled '1Password 4')

surely it poses the potential to cause problems and confusion (as above) with users, i can't see the logic ??

why doesn't the https://agilebits.com/onepassword sync to the Mac App Store (or some sort of SINGLE download 'hub') source so that this problem cannot occur again in the future ??

i (as an individual user) have worked it out myself (over about a week and a bit, on and off, just thinking about it here and there, obviously not constant consideration of the problem) so will now

DELETE (and HIDE) the Mac App Store purchase (the older version build 441006 just titled '1Password')

and now ONLY DOWNLOAD UPDATES and USE the https://agilebits.com/onepassword (the newer version build 441008 titled '1Password 4') to ensure i am always using the latest version

this is my solution to the problem (i encountered and mention) of version compatibility but i would suggest it is an 'issue' that might need looking at to ensure the same doesn't happen to/ for others

i sign off again saying, don't for a second think that i am disrespecting 1Password or underestimating how difficult and big a task it is that you all do.

regards and thanks, now i'm off to MANUALLY SYNC, copy and paste from OLD 1Password to NEW 1 Password which i don't think is what you all intended LOL ;-))

ben grieve
    edinburgh, uk

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Like iTunes, the App Store requires developers to submit versions for approval and are then pushed to whatever server(s) Apple have for distributing the software available. I also don't think Apple ever give a timeframe as to how long it will take from submission to available to customers meaning trying to keep their site and the one outwith of their control in sync is pretty much a lesson in frustration. That's what I'd guess would be the key reason for two versions being out of sync (the other might be some odd little bug which only affects one version - then I suppose the versioning might diverge for a while). What you might have also inferred from my post so far is that it isn't possible to simply link to their site from the App Store. Apple's App Store - Apple's rules.

• BenGee333
    BenGee333
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

as of todays date - tues 7 oct 2014

1Password version 4.4.2 build 442010 (Mac App Store)

1Password 4 version 4.4.3 build 443000 (Agile Web Store)

(imo) this is a (fundamental) problem ??

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

It isn't necessarily expected that the two stores offer the exact same version. As @littlebobbytables‌ mentioned there may be something we have to fix in one that doesn't affect the other, etc.

If you are interested in using iCloud sync in the future, we recommend sticking with the Mac App Store version and ditching the web store version.

Thanks!

• BenGee333
    BenGee333
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

??

i've decided the opposite as the Agile Web Store seems to be the most up to date version (it also has a 'check for updates' choice in the app which the Mac Store one doesn't, did that before Mac App Store appeared so can continue to do so know ... this issue being a good reason to stick with the Agile Web Store ((the most up to date)) version ...)

i continue ..

for a password syncing app; that instills in me (a sense of uncertainty) if the apps aren't in sync maybe the passwords aren't in sync either ??

whether or not that is a correct though the fact that it has been instilled in my (the customer's) mind i would suggest ... you know the rest

i've decided the opposite as the Agile Web Store seems to be the most up to date version

me (if i was the company, cos i'm so clever and smart and such a computer expert ((NOT)) LOL) i would make the decision to either provide the app myself (via Agile Web Store) the most up to date version

or via the Mac App Store slightly behind the version (Agile 'proper' puts out)

but NOT both (stores) together, and 'out of sync', it just looks bad

the titles aren't even the same

1Password

1Password 4

and the 1Password window prompts are different

Enter your Mater Password

Unlock Primary Vault

i bought 1Password to save and sync everything, to 'hub' all my passwords in ONE PLACE and the apps that do this are in TWO PLACES and each different place offers DIFFERENT versions

i don't want (and am not trying) to be obnoxious about this (this is a genuine concern i have looked at and considered for some days now) but i am going to say what (honestly) occurs to me because i LOVE this app and i WANT IT TO BE PERFECT (and it ALMOST is but not quite yet ...)

which leads me on (when i'm ready i will get on) to my issues with 'vaults', it's coming but first i need to prepare LOL ... ;-))

best regards to all involved and as ever

• i sign off again saying, don't for a second think that i am disrespecting 1Password or underestimating how difficult and big a task it is that you all do.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BenGee333‌

Again, you have my apologies for the confusion here.

i've decided the opposite as the Agile Web Store seems to be the most up to date version (it also has a 'check for updates' choice in the app which the Mac Store one doesn't, did that before Mac App Store appeared so can continue to do so know ... this issue being a good reason to stick with the Agile Web Store ((the most up to date)) version ...)

The Mac App Store version doesn't have a check for updates button because updates are handled via the Mac App Store. If enabled, updates will happen automatically, or you can open the App Store app to check if there are any updates pending.

The Agile webstore version is really not more up-to-date than the Mac App Store version. The reason for the versioning difference is that a glitch in the web store's updating mechanism was discovered in the 4.4.2 release, so our developers fixed it up and put out a new version (4.4.3). This glitch isn't present in the Mac App Store version, so, while the numbering of the versions will be off for a while, Mac App Store users are not missing any features that are present in the Agile webstore version.

for a password syncing app; that instills in me (a sense of uncertainty) if the apps aren't in sync maybe the passwords aren't in sync either ??

I'm not quite sure which sync you're referring to here. If you have a problem keeping your database in sync across devices, of course we're here to help. But, if you're simply referring to the version numbers, I do hope my explanation above helps.

Since you are essentially using two separate copies of 1Password on your desktop, there are many reasons why you might see different data in each version - the two apps store data in different default locations on your drive, so they will not automatically sync up with each other (because they were never designed to run on the same computer at the same time.)

I hope that this explanation helps. If you're looking for a bit of assistance getting all of your data inside the Agile webstore version, we'd love to see that Diagnostics Report so we can better advise you. :)

This discussion has been closed.