Confusion about 1Password 5 iOS in App Purchases?

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

I would like some clarification about the new 1Password 5 iOS with in App purchases. I haven't updated to iOS 8 yet so I can't tell what it actually means for 1Password to have in App purchases. I personally would rather pay full rather than for an in App purchase where ever possible.

All these freemium stuff are annoying. Also, iOS 8 for iPads aren't out yet.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Please have a look at the Pro Features FAQ. You'll probably find it will answer a lot of your questions.

Also, iOS 8 for iPads aren't out yet.

That is incorrect (at least for the UK). I downloaded the update and installed it on my iPad last night.

Stephen

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I have found that my iPads needed iTunes to upgrade to iOS 8 whereas my iPhone needn't. The iPhone can upgrade itself over the air.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Whether you can upgrade over the air or not depends on whether you have at least 5.8 GB of free storage. If you don't, you must remove apps, media, and/or photos to get to that level, or you need to use iTunes for the upgrade. (The 5.8 GB figure is from my iPhone, which couldn't update over the air. My iPad has plenty of memory and updated over the air without any fuss.)

• jbtme
    jbtme
    Community Member
    Options

I personally would rather pay full rather than for an in App purchase where ever possible. All these freemium stuff are annoying.

I agree with that.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

I personally would rather pay full rather than for an in App purchase where ever possible.

The pricing model we have chosen for 1Password 5 is essentially that. It is a single, one-time in-app purchase to unlock all of the Pro features. It is the same as the free trial on Mac and Windows. On the desktop, a license purchase is required to create more than 20 items after the 30 day trial is over. On iOS, Apple doesn't allow time-based trials, so the free version is feature-limited (though still very functional).

If you just want to skip all the freemium hoopla, just download 1Password 5 for iOS and purchase the Pro features. It is then identical to the pricing model used for 1Password 4 for iOS.

Also, if you previously purchased 1Password 4 for iOS, you get the Pro features FREE when you update to 1Password 5 for iOS (or reinstall it at any later date). Simple.

In short, all this new pricing model does is allow folks to try 1Password on iOS which was not possible before. If you just want to purchase, we really appreciate your support and have done nothing to hinder that. :)

All of this and more can be found in the "Pro Features FAQ" that @Stephen_C‌ linked to above. But if you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. I'd be happy to address them.

Cheers!

• jbtme
    jbtme
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

If you just want to skip all the freemium hoopla, just download 1Password 5 for iOS and purchase the Pro features. It is then identical to the pricing model used for 1Password 4 for iOS.

So since it is identical, the Pro features will work with family sharing. (Buy only once in app purchase and share that with the whole family.) Good to know. :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

So since it is identical, the Pro features will work with family sharing. (Buy only once in app purchase and share that with the whole family.) Good to know.

@jbtme - I assume your statement is meant to be ironic, since anyone who has been following this issue knows by now that Apple does not permit Family Share for in app purchases.

And @khad‌, your post above makes complete sense for an individual user. It breaks down when family sharing enters the picture. Alas. I know that wasn't AgileBits's intention, though, when you folks designed your new pricing model. And I think Apple is going to be disappointing their customers as this policy becomes more widely known and for more applications than just 1Password.

• MikeT
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @hawkmoth,

since anyone who has been following this issue knows by now that Apple does not permit Family Share for in app purchases.

It was vague even during the beta testing or the keynote, many of us thought it applied to in-app purchases. Especially when you consider that many of the kid games uses IAP and for the family to approve the purchase via Family Sharing, it has to work there.

Alas. I know that wasn't AgileBits's intention, though, when you folks designed your new pricing model. And I think Apple is going to be disappointing their customers as this policy becomes more widely known and for more applications than just 1Password.

It certainly wasn't, we were excited about this in fact. We hope it is just a temporary restriction and it would be fixed or improved soon.

Keep in mind that prior to iOS 8, you weren't technically allowed to share purchases by sharing or swapping Apple ID (although it worked and was done often). I believe you might still be able to do this as long as you don't use Family Sharing.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Keep in mind that prior to iOS 8, you weren't technically allowed to share purchases by sharing or swapping Apple ID (although it worked and was done often).

iOS 8 and Yosemite. The same license terms and restrictions apply to Mac App Store purchases as apply to App Store purchases.

• Right, it's just that Yosemite isn't out yet. :P

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Also, iOS 8 for iPads aren't out yet.

I have recently received the update notification for iOS 8.0.2 on my iPads but it skipped the earlier iOS releases. I'm still going to delay my iOS updates.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

MikeT—

Yes, and even when Yosemite does come out we do not know whether AgileBits will authorize family sharing.

This discussion has been closed.