Constantly having to restart 1Password Helper

tonyxcom
tonyxcom
Community Member
edited October 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Since upgrading to 4 I have constant issues with the helper service. It isn't passing unlock status back and forth with the app and I have to restart it all the time in order to get my login keyboard shortcut to work.

I haven't seen anyone else post about this so it may not be common.

Windows 8.1 64b with latest stable Chrome release.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tonyxcom,

Please make sure you've enabled the Universal Unlock option. You can find that in the main 1Password program, under Preferences > Browsers.

We have more information at these links:

• tonyxcom
    tonyxcom
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

Universal Unlock is enabled. Everything worked great before upgrading to 1Password 4.

It appears after sometime, or anytime the computer goes to sleep or I close all instances of Chrome, that something breaks. I try to use Alt+X (which is my "login keyboard shortcut") and instead of my login being filled I am presented with the 1P menu. The only way I can get everything to work normally is the restart the helper and enter my master password in browser extension again.

This is fairly constant.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@tonyxcom‌, do you have the same problem if you change the shortcut back to the default, Ctrl+\?

• tonyxcom
    tonyxcom
    Community Member

Yes, I've set it back to that and the issue still comes back. I've also tried uninstalling and re-installing 1Password, the Chrome Ext and even Chrome itself. I just confirmed the problem also exists in the latest versions of Firefox and IE.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Do you have any antivirus, anti-malware, or similar software installed?

If so, please disable them temporarily, and let us know whether that solves the problem.

Thanks!

• tonyxcom
    tonyxcom
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

No. I don't run any type of anti-malware software.

• Echnie
    Echnie
    Community Member

I also constantly get the message that the helper is not started when using the browser extention. This behaviour did not occur until upgrading to 1Password for Windows 4.0.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I've asked Dev for assistance, as I'm not able to reproduce the problem and haven't seen similar reports.

Thanks for your patience! We apologize for the inconvenience.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

@tonyxcom‌ Do you have this registry key?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Name : Agile1pAgent
    Value: C:\Program Files\1Password\Agile1pAgent.exe

• Brianiac5150
    Brianiac5150
    Community Member

I, too, have this happening - except I do run NAV. I do not have the regkey svondutch details. This only occurs on my Win8 PC. Works perfectly on Win7 and OSX platforms.

• tonyxcom
    tonyxcom
    Community Member

I've switched to the beta and all seems well now.

Probably inconsequential now, but I do not have that reg key. (LM or CU).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@Echnie, @Brianiac5150,

If you're still having this problem, please make sure you install the latest update. Version 4.1.0.520 was released earlier today. Let us know if that helps, thanks!

• tonyxcom
    tonyxcom
    Community Member

I spoke too soon. My problems have returned. This time slightly different. The same thing happens with the latest stable and latest beta releases.

Universal unlock appears to be slightly more reliable, meaning I have to restart 1Password helper less often. Also the shortcuts I created (on my Mac) that automatically log me into websites work. But my hotkey to fill logins vary rarely works at all. It always just brings up the right cliick menu.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I'm struggling to see the connection between the Universal Unlock option and the helper.

Regardless, though, what happens with Login items you've created or saved in 1Password for Windows and its extensions?

• tonyxcom
    tonyxcom
    Community Member

There isn't any issue with the passwords themselves, no matter if they were saved in Windows vs Mac. At first, it appeared to be a problem with the helper service (it actually used to run as a service). And I only notice the problem when trying to use the login keyboard shortcut. I would then restart the helper service, re-enter my password in the browser extension and it would work for a period of time.

Now with the recent updates and betas. It doesn't appear that the helper runs as a service, rather a background process. Now the keyboard shortcut works randomly and restarting the helper doesn't resolve the problem, even for a short time, like before.

For example, all seems to be working fine now. But it wasn't working earlier this morning. I've not restarted the helper, open or closed the application. I might have open and closed Chrome a few times though.

This discussion has been closed.