how to reset password to access primary vault via iOS 1Password 4?

craiger12
craiger12
Community Member

Trying to synch my iPhone 1password 4 via iCloud but the password I remember is apparently wrong. How do I reset this password?

Comments

• Jasper
    edited April 2014

For your privacy and security, your master password is known only to you. The master password is not stored anywhere and it is never logged. Furthermore, there is no "back door" mechanism to recover your data or password. This approach is very important in order to be able to say that 1Password keeps your data safe and secure. However, because of it, once your password is forgotten, there is nothing we can do to help you recover it.

If you're sure that you've forgotten your master password, you'll need to start over by following these instructions: http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-forgot-mp.html

• craiger12
    craiger12
    Community Member

I haven't forgotten my master password. It works fine on my Mac Pro. The problem is with my iPhone 1password. It says regarding the primary vault to enter my master password so I do but it then says a data file already exists there and do I want to merge? So I click on Merge and it says enter your "master password." I do that but it says it's incorrect. Then it gives a password hint that I may have created a long time ago that is completely unrelated to my master password. Thus it appears that the iPhone's version of 1password uses a different password.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

craiger12, to the best of your knowledge, do you have any modifications in the iOS version of 1Password that you need synced to your mac? If you don't, if you've only made alterations on the OS X version then you could try resetting iOS 1Password and having it start from scratch. I did something similar to test attachment syncing from a fresh slate and it's pretty easy. Settings : Advanced : Erase Data. Then after it quits you can perform a fresh sync with hopefully no issues.

• @craiger12 Are you starting with a fresh install of 1Password for iOS on your iPhone? If so, what @littlebobbytables‌ says is correct and you may want to clear your data from iCloud and set up syncing again. Let me know if this is the case and we'll get you some steps to follow.

• jpred
    jpred
    Community Member

I am having same issue. Will you post the steps to clear data from iCloud so I can set up synching again?

• Hello @jpred‌.

You can find steps to clear your data from iCloud here: http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-reset-data.html

Be sure to disable syncing in 1Password first by tapping on Settings > Sync > Sync Service > Disable Sync

Let me know how that works out and if there's anything else I can do.

• craiger12
    craiger12
    Community Member

Didn't work. I used iTunes to remove the 1password app, then re-installed it. Then went to through the procedure you listed above for clearing out data in iCloud. When I re-opened 1password and chose Sync in iCloud, it said data already existed in iCloud. So it appears that Delete All did not work?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014

Hi @craiger12‌

I'm so sorry to hear that you're still having trouble here. Let's try resetting sync across all devices:

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.
    • Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac.

• Delete 1Password 4 for iOS on your iOS device.

• Delete the Data on iCloud (if it exists): http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-reset-data.html

• Restart your iOS device

• Now, visit the App Store on your device, and tap the Purchased section (on iPhone, Purchased is nested within Updates).
    • Find 1Password in your purchase history and tap the cloud icon to re-download, free of charge.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync. It should work this time.

I hope this gets things all sorted out for you, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• djcoxjr
    djcoxjr
    Community Member

Megan, I am having a similar problem. I want to try the steps you have laid out, but when I check the box to remove the data from iCloud and disable the sync the dialog box says all data on both devices will also be deleted. Is that true? Will I have to re-enter all my data on the computer? Also, when I go to the link you gave for deleting the data on iCloud I cannot find the tutorial. Thanks, Dan

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @djcoxjr‌

I'm so sorry for the trouble here. First of all, I've updated the link in my above instructions, so it should take you to the correct instructions now.

Now, don't worry. Deleting the data from iCloud is not going to delete your entire database. In 1Password 4, your data is always stored locally. When you select a sync source, 1Password will copy your data and store it in the appropriate sync location. It is this copy of data that will be removed when you delete the data from iCloud. This allows 1Password to create a fresh copy of your database when you re-enable sync.

I hope my steps above now work to get you all sorted out, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• Paco Patron
    Paco Patron
    Community Member

Hi @Megan‌
    After updating to IOS 8 and trying to sync the 1P app, for some reason it was not taking my Hint password; and I was getting what @craiger12‌
    I then tried your steps listed above with no luck, and so what it worked for me was:
    I opened the app on IOS then hit the "sync over Wi-Fi" option this time and then went to the MBP-- Window-- "Wi-Fi Sync" and gave me a code that I typed on my iphone "a secret code" then iphone asked for my MBP password and then my vault password, with the Hint being different than what the IOS was, so the issue was that there was two different hint passwords?
    Can it be that there was two different files with different password?
    Thanks, Paco

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Paco,

I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble here. I've got a few more questions to hopefully track down where things are getting tangled up:

• After updating to iOS 8, did you also update to 1Password 5 for iOS? There was an issue with 1Password 4 for iOS and Dropbox in iOS 8, but it has been corrected in 1Password 5 for iOS.
    • Do you have multiple vaults enabled? The hint for your Master Password should be the same across all devices. If you're seeing a different hint, you might be dealing with two separate databases here.
    • What is your preferred method of sync? (We might need to reset sync here, to get everything on the same page.)
  • Paco Patron
    Paco Patron
    Community Member

Hi +Megan
    Yes, I did update to 1P5 and yes I have multiple vaults enabled. But before going to IOS 8 I was using a different
    password for my MBP, iPhone and iPad, 3 different passwords.
    I did possible had two separate databases.
    But now doing a Wi-Fi sync on my iPhone and iPad all my devices are in Sync and all using the same password, so problem solved.

Thanks for your help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Paco,

I'm so glad to hear that a Wi-Fi sync got all your devices on the same page! Thanks for letting me know. :)

If you hit any further snags, we're here to help!

• dropd
    dropd
    Community Member

I'm in a similar boat here. I downloaded and installed 1password 5 a week or two ago, set up a master vault, enabled iCloud sync, and promptly forgot the password.

I deleted 1password from my phone, reinstalled it from scratch, and created a new master vault with a new password.

Now, if I try to enable iCloud, it tells me I need to "merge" my current vault with one already saved to iCloud, and asks me for the forgotten password.

I tried following the support instructions online but when I go to Settings->iCloud->Storage->Manage Storage, 1Password does not appear there as an app with data stored in iCloud. That means I can't actually delete whatever remnants of that old master vault exist. This means I'm essentially locked out completely from using iCloud sync.

Any way to fix this on the AgileBits side?

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@dropd‌

Please see Advanced settings : remove iCloud data

**Make sure you are 100% certain you wish to erase the data once its gone its not retrievable. **

This discussion has been closed.