1Password 5 - Family Share on Yosemite

Options
cammot
cammot
Community Member

Is there a way to create a 'Family Share' for the same 1password cloud account, on two different iPhone's or iPad's that are configured with different Apple ID's ?. In this case, my wife and I have our individual IPhone's with our different Apple ID's, but need to work with the same 1Password cloud account. With the introduction of IOS 8 and Yosemite, we are now able to do this with calendars, notes, contact etc... But not sure, if we could do this with 1Password, i.e. Family Share. Can some shed some light on how to go about establishing this on our respective family devices.

Thanks

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@cammot‌

Only if you use Dropbox syncing, Apple has not built in a method for sharing data between clouds accounts, like would be necessary for 2 iCloud accounts.

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/sync-dropbox

Are you asking iOS only or will there be a mix of PC/Mac added in ? It gets a touch more complicated but not very much.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

If you use separate Apple IDs for backup, iCloud won't let you share like that, at least so far. You can share like you wish, if you're willing to use Dropbox as your cloud sync host.

• cammot
    cammot
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Conceptually it should be possible, because it's been done with calendars, notes, contacts - where two separate devices with different Apple ID's are able to share the same calenders, notes contacts. Why can't we do this with 1Password, without going to Dropbox ?.

Thanks

• cammot
    cammot
    Community Member
    Options

Another thought - can Family Share be done with WiFi ?. If yes - How ?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cammot‌ If what you want to do is how Apple envisage it should work then it usually works brilliantly. If however your approach doesn't fit in with Apple's vision you've got an uphill battle on your hands. Apple think families may like to share calendars and photos and stuff like that but haven't expanded that to sharing of general files or those synced using CloudKit by a specific app.

If you've got multiple iOS devices you want to sync to a single mac then WiFi would be fine as long as you're only dealing with a single primary vault.

If you want to sync secondary vaults or you're looking at multiple macs as well as multiple iOS devices then the path of least resistance is Dropbox. You could set it up where you're using Folder Sync for the Macs and WiFi sync for the iOS devices but Folder Sync can be tricky and doesn't like it if the sync location isn't always there i.e. a networked location that is only accessible when at home or simply from a flaky network. Both Dropbox and iCloud avoid that by having a local copy. You could use something like ChronoSync to sync a local Folder with another machine but I don't know what success has been had with such sync solutions.

Does that help?

• cammot
    cammot
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your commentary. Another thought - since I cannot do 'Family Share' thru the cloud alone for multiple family devices with different Apple ID's (I thought this was the way Apple envisaged it, but came thru short !!), so it does not work brilliantly !, on the contrary.

The above said, perhaps one way I could partially accomplish 'Family Share', is keep the less used devices on either Dropbox or WiFi for synch purposes, and on the primary device maintain on the cloud, but then periodically update via drop box for the less used devices, but also revert back to the cloud for the primary device(s). I am assuming that switching back and forth between cloud and Dropbox, while cumbersome, might work without creating too many snags.

Thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cammot‌ As long as you're careful of course you could jump between different sync solutions although I doubt it was designed with that in mind. When I say that I merely mean it was more likely they assumed people would set up a particular synchronisation method and then just leave it running. So you'd want to be careful about purging old data and possibly the order of switching. For example if there is a bunch of iOS devices and one mac I'd switch turn off syncing on all iOS devices, then on the mac turn it off and purge the previous data so that sync filesystem was clear for next time. Then I'd set up syncing on the mac, give it a moment to ensure it is synchronised and the set up each iOS device in turn.

I'm curious why you wouldn't consider just selecting Dropbox and leaving it. Each device can be logged in it's respective owner's iCloud account and make use of whatever features that brings to the various apps without interfering with 1Password using Dropbox, the two can play together on both iOS devices and macs.

What may assist in this occasion is if you can give a little more detail as to your setup and goal e.g. How many iOS and mac devices belonging to x individuals with what versions of iOS and 1Password. How many vaults and who needs access to which.

• cammot
    cammot
    Community Member
    Options

Before I explain my specific scenario, could you kindly explain what are vaults, why would one even need multiple vaults !!, given that this this software is simply a password manager. Maybe I am missing an aspect on the benefits of multiple vaults.

Would greatly appreciate any light you could throw in this area of vaults.

Many Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cammot‌ Say you and your wife want to have a bunch of joint accounts for various sites but you also have your own personal stuff that you want to keep private - that's one use of secondary vaults. The idea is you'd each have your own personal, primary vault with a password only known to that person. You'd then have a secondary vault with its own unique password and in that one you'd store all your joint entries. You'd both have equal access to view and modify and any changes made by one would be synchronised to the others via Dropbox. Essentially it's sharing without giving up total access to your primary vault.

I use it simply to create a nice clean divide between by personal stuff and my work stuff. I keep a record of any customer related logins I need, a record of all software purchases made on their behalf etc. and by using a secondary vault my primary vault doesn't become a sea of entries all jumbled together.

At the moment though Dropbox (or I suppose folder sync technically) is the only way to synchronise secondary vaults as iCloud and WiFI sync cannot handle that for now.

I've heard of users keeping their kids vaults as secondary vaults so they can administer it and if a bunch of you at work use 1Password and want a communal vault then secondary vaults would probably seem quite handy then too. It's easy to imagine the MD or finance director wanting to keep a bunch of important details safe without handing over access to anybody else. Does that help?

• cammot
    cammot
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables‌ Thanks for your explanation on the use of Vaults - I found it very useful for my understanding. While I don't think we need to create a secondary vault for the moment, its nice to know that we could at some later stage. BTW, is it possible to duplicate a vault with the stroke of a key ?. I say this with the potential to create a backup of one's primary vault, to a secondary vault.

Getting back to my original exchange on 'Family Share' capabilities. We are simply two in our household, and have no need or reason to block each other for access to our 1Password. We have one big iMac 27inch, one small MacBook Pro, one iPad and two iPhones all running either Yosemite or OS 8. We need to have access to 1Password on all these devices at different times when traveling or in different rooms. The ideal situation would be that we could data entry on any of these assets, that would then also automatically replicate on all the other assets. This can be easily accomplished thru the cloud sync for all the assets, accept for one iPhone that needs to be on a different Apple ID, but share the same 1Password access. Against this background, and what you had previously explained - I was able to very easily and temporarily enable Wifi on the iMac and the one iPhone in question - which updated the iPhone - after which I immediate reverted back to the cloud on the iMac. This I believe is the easiest method for the moment. Since only one iPhone needs to be updated via this method, I will simply do this accordingly and periodically every now and then, knowing that this one iPhone does not get immediate cloud updates, and need to be manually updated periodically.

Thanks for you help.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I think you should be able to do all of this with one solution if you are willing to use Dropbox.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cammot,

I'm so glad to hear that you've been getting your question sorted out here! Like @hawkmoth says, with multiple AppleIDs in play, your best and simplest solution might be Dropbox. But it's your choice! :)

BTW, is it possible to duplicate a vault with the stroke of a key ?. I say this with the potential to create a backup of one's primary vault, to a secondary vault.

You cannot duplicate a vault with a single keystroke. We've made it simple to move data between vaults with the Item > Share menu though. Additionally, there should be no need to backup your data using a secondary vault. 1Password does create automatic backups on a daily basis (whenever data is changed), so we've got your back. ;)

I hope this answers your questions, but we're here for you if you need any further assistance.

This discussion has been closed.