Best free backup software?

Options
raab472
raab472
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Lounge

I am always looking for options here because I don't like depending on one app for remote and local backups.
What do you think?
Any Suggestion?

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

I am going to move this to the lounge as it doesn't really apply to 1Password for Mac its more of a general type item.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

This feels like a post to increase search rankings.

• Ben
    Options

I use Time Machine.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I use Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner (not free) locally and CrashPlan (not free) for remote backup. I had to pay for an upgrade of Carbon Copy after moving to Yosemite, but I thought it was well worth it.

I wonder how that will feed in, if this is actually intended to enhance search results. :)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@hamkmoth

I had to pay for an upgrade of Carbon Copy after moving to Yosemite, but I thought it was well worth it.

I agree

Sorry moved the topic and forgot to post. Oops. Must be because I moved it at 3am lol.

CarbonCopyCloner, CrashPlan, Time Machine,

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Strongly endorse the use of Carbon Copy Cloner (even though not free - but superb in its latest version) together with Time Machine.

Stephen

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I personally use SuperDuper. There's something to keep in mind which is how these backup programs handle metadata. This article is 8 years old and a lot has changed but I think it is still worth reading for an overview. .

blog.plasticsfuture.org/2006/03/05/the-state-of-backup-and-cloning-tools-under-mac-os-x/

This discussion has been closed.