Which file is the real 1password file to use? [Fixed]

Options
patterson4321
patterson4321
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Updated from 3 to 5 via the App Store, and am confused which is the correct vault file in Dropbox now.

I have Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain **and ** Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

Sequence of events, ruffly, when I launched 1password 5, it had me use the login I have been using from 3, then I was presented with an empty vault. Not knowing what happened, I double clicked on the Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain file, and 1password 5 said it imported things. Still looked empty. Discovered the dropdown in the upper left, and see all my stuff. Now, which vault file can I get rid of? I only want one.

I'm not clear which my iOS 1password 5 will need to use.

Comments

• jkratz
    jkratz
    Community Member
    Options

patterson4321: on my Mac its in the second folder you mention above. I have 1password 5.

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

@patterson4321‌:

I double clicked on the Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain file, and 1password 5 said it imported things. Still looked empty. Discovered the dropdown in the upper left, and see all my stuff.

It sounds like the Dropbox > 1Password.agilekeychain is the right data file to use. The best way to confirm this is to open the main 1Password app, unlock the app, switch to the secondary vault, make sure it is showing you the right data, and then go to the 1Password Menu > Preferences > Sync.

It should show you the current path to the data file, can you confirm it is Dropbox > 1Password.agilekeychain?

Also, you're syncing over Dropbox to your iOS devices as well, right?

• patterson4321
    patterson4321
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT‌ After looking at 1Password Menu > Preferences > Sync for my secondary vault (named 1Password) it points to Dropbox > 1Password.agilekeychain. When I switch to the Primary vault (named Primary) it asks what I would like to sync with.

I do sync with Dropbox on iOS devices. They currently point to /1Password.agilekeychain aka Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain.

Ultimately I want 1 vault, to point my iOS devices at the same vault, and have 1 keychain file in Dropbox.

• Hi @patterson4321‌,

You'll need to reset 1Password, so that it can use the Dropbox > 1Password.agilekeychain file as the primary vault.

Before you do that, please back up your 1Password data just in case by opening the main 1Password app, unlock, and go to the File Menu > Backup.

Now, here's how to fix this:

1. First, in 1Password, switch to the your second vault, and go to the 1Password Menu > Preferences > Sync. Disable the sync but do not delete the data when it asks.
    2. Open Finder and go to your Dropbox folder, move your 1Password folder to your desktop and rename it to Empty 1P3 data.
    3. Follow the instructions here to reset the 1Password app data (your data will be restored from Dropbox afterward, so it'll be safe): https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/starting-over
    4. When you open 1Password again, it might have found your data file in Dropbox already, unlock it, and see if it is right. If it didn't find your data, select I've used 1Password before, and guide 1Password to the right data file in Dropbox.

You should now be all set and syncing between your Mac and iOS devices with just one data file. Let me know how it turns out.

If everything works out great, you can either archive or delete the Empty 1P3 data folder on the desktop.

• patterson4321
    patterson4321
    Community Member
    Options

That seems to have done the trick. Thanks!

• That's great to hear and you're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.