Two-Step Auth Feature Request (1Password Generates codes within the app)

JasonN
JasonN
Community Member

Sorry guys, I didn't really know where to post this request.

I wondered if this would be a function that might come to later versions of iOS and Desktop. I don't mean in order to get into 1Password, I mean the apps you see around where you take a picture of the barcode and then it generates time-based codes.

It would be great to not have to keep hopping away from 1Password to some other authenticator app.

It's just a feature request.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

We've certainly thought about adding a TOTP generator, but I'm not making any promises. On the one hand, we like to keep things as simple as possible, without loads of features that are used only by a few people. But as TOTP becomes more widely deployed, integration into 1Password could be a natural thing.

I'm guessing that you are familiar with [T|H]OTP, but for those who aren't, we described it in gory detail here:

Doing the two-step until the end of time

If we can be of further assistance in the meantime, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• JasonN
    JasonN
    Community Member

Yes, maybe it's something going forward. The linked post was a great read - I didn't really know that much about it.

Thanks, khad.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad it was helpful! Thanks again for your feedback on this. It really helps to get a sense of how people are using 1Password (or want to be using it). Have a great week. :)

• +1 vote for code generator! Or +10 (How many votes am I allowed? ):smile:

I'd love to see this feature on mobile as well as on the desktop. On both systems, the code generator would be behind my system password as well as my 1P master password (or Touch ID on iOS) which is way more secure than an SMS that would show up on my lock screen, or the Google Authenticator that's only behind my IOS passcode.

And it would be great to get rid of that single-purpose GAuth app!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @toren,

I'm happy to add your vote to this popular feature request. (I'll toss a few extra +1s in for good measure!)

ref: OPM-115

• steveh7
    steveh7
    Community Member

Adding another vote for a TOTP generator. No reply needed :)

This discussion has been closed.