Lost my vault after automatic upgrade!

Sergey Titov
Sergey Titov
Community Member

After I installed Yosemite 1Password automatically upgraded to version 5 and then I found myself staring at the welcome screen asking if I am new or used 1Password before.

I thought not a seamless upgraded but fine, select "I've used 1Password before" but then I was not able to locate my vault (there are no .op or .agilekeychain file on my drive) and all backups are gone!!!

Unbelievable! I can't login anywhere except my gmail now...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• SimonD
    SimonD
    Community Member

Hi, i have the same problem with the vault/backup. Mac hdd crash last nigh and so where all backups gone :(.. any idea?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

Okay, you two have quite different problems.

@Sergey Titov‌ Here are the two locations where 1Password stores its data depending on what version you have. I'm posting both because I'm if you purchased from one location and upgraded with the other (the two being direct from AgileBits and Apple's MAS).

AgileBits store version: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4

Mac App Store version: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

Containers are a little odd and are a mixture of aliases and real folders. For me, inside that folder I navigated through the additional folders Data/Library and then I had folders titled Backups and Data which contained my zip backup files and the sqlite file that represents the vaults. I believe the folder hierarchy is less odd if you purchased the AgileBits store version. I'd guess if you can find what you're looking for in one of those locations then you seem to know what you're doing to get yourself running again.

One thing I'd say, if it turns out that you're trying to run one version having purchased from the other, then simply downloading the correct copy of 1password 5 may get everything sorted out. If you don't have either of those locations then something isn't right.

@SimonD‌ How bad is the hard drive crash and have you been backing your mac up at all with the likes of Time Machine or synchronising 1Password using either iCloud or Dropbox? If you have Time Machine then those folder locations above should be all you need to navigate the backups and retrieve what you're looking for. If you don't have backups for a current sync repository in either iCloud or Dropbox then a lot is going to depend on how bad the crash was and if the drive is still readable. If you've not been backing up and the hard drive isn't readable at all... it may not be great news.

• Hi @Sergey Titov‌,

Sorry to hear the upgrade wasn't seamless for you. I'd say the first thing to check is exactly what @littlebobbytables‌ said. Let's make 100% sure that you're running the same version of the app (AgileBits Store vs Mac App Store).

Internally, 1Password does not use the .op or .agilekeychain file formats, which is why you're not seeing any on your system. Backup files are stored in files with extension .1p4_zip. We can help you restore from that if need be. Spotlight may have trouble finding those backups as they live inside of ~/Library which isn't searched by Spotlight by default, but they should exist at the paths @littlebobbytables‌ shared which you can access via Finder's Go > Go To Folder menu item.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.