Mac app store version safari extension not installing on Yosemite.

Options
Pedro Granados
Pedro Granados
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Just bought 1Password 4.5.3 on the Mac App Store and the safari extension won't install. I keep getting an error message every time I try to double click the extension in my download folder. This is the screen shot of the error message :

When I go to safari preferences, the 1password extension won't work. I'm on the new operating system OS X Yosemite on a Macbook Pro retina display mid-2012. Tried restarting my mac but no luck.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Pedro Granados‌,

Let's try this:

• Open 1Password.
    • Click the 1Password menu, hold down the Control key, and select Quit 1Password and 1Password mini.
    • Restart the Mac.
    • Relaunch 1Password.

Does this help?

• Hi @Pedro Granados‌,

Hrmm... sounds like Safari's having some issues during the installation. Does the 1Password extension show up at all in the list of extensions under Safari > Preferences > Extensions?

I can only think of one reason for why this could be happening, and I just did a test here and was able to get the same error by trying to mimic this problem. Sometimes, especially during upgrades of operating systems, permissions on certain directories get set incorrectly. So I'd like you to verify something for me:

• Switch to Finder, open a new window
    • Use the Go > Go to Folder... menu item
    • In the sheet that drops down, I want you to enter (including the ~) : ~/Library/Safari
    • Click Go
    • Finder will open the folder
    • Find the Extensions folder, and select it.
    • Hit cmd-i, or use the File > Get Info... menu item
    • A window will open up with information about the Extensions folder.
    • Near the bottom of the window you should see a 'Sharing & Permissions' section. Make sure to make it visible.
    • Make sure that the row for your user (Me) has read-write permissions, which make require that unlock the folder to make the change

Here's how it looks on my system:

Once you've made sure it's read-write, then try installing it again. If that doesn't do the trick, let's try repairing the permissions on your whole disk:

• Open Disk Utility from /Applications/Utilities/
    • Find your disk in the left side bar, select it
    • On the right, under the First Aid tab, there should be a 'Repair Disk Permissions' button. Click that.
    • Wait for permissions to be repaired.
    • Try installing the extension again.

Let us know how that works out for you.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.