Share vault - Windows only

Hello,

I just purchased 1Password, particularly after looking at vault sharing and not realizing that it is MAC only feature.
Question now is - how can I share different subsets of data? For example, I have 5 logins in my master vault. I want to share 2nd and 3rd logins to person A. I want to share 3rd and 4th with person B. I would like to have this sharing = syncing to have the same copy.

In the windows version, I don's see dropbox syncing option (could be my ignorance/lack of knowledge) and I don't see a way to drag/drop items between vaults.

I can share the item but it only shares using email...which I am now sure about.

Thank you,

Vipul Amin

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@vipson, you can definitely use Dropbox to share and sync one or more vaults among your PCs, Macs, and mobile devices. Please see the user's guide for details.

As for sharing only subsets of your 1Password data, create a separate vault for items you want to share with others; then use Dropbox's "share folder" feature to share that vault's agilekeychain folder. Let us know if you have questions about the details we'll be glad to help!

• vipson
    vipson
    Community Member

Understood the Dropbox sync. I was bit confused by the term "Move to Dropbox".

What you are proposing - create separate vault for the subset of items..I agree.
    But to create that I like what Mac version offers - drag and drop. Here in Windows I cannot do that. Initially I can copy the main vault and remove the unwanted items and share that..but after that any new addition will be hassle to manage. I want to make sure that I am not missing anything in Windows version..Are you planning to release the sharing vault feature for Windows (like what you have in Mac)?

• vipson
    vipson
    Community Member

Thought I should be more clear on what I want to do. This is what I am trying to figure out on Windows version:

http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/11/13/1password-tip-how-to-create-share-a-vault-with-family-or-coworkers-mac/
    http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/Features/multiple-vaults.html
    http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/Tutorials/share-vault.html

I tried:
    Created two vaults - one master and other 2beshared. Logged few entries in master and now I want to share one item from master to 2beshared. So clicked on login item, selected share - I only get option to email and email pops up.

Your document says that I should have Copy to Clipboard option should be there .When I switch between vaults, I have verified, it does not paste..It never copied.

.How can I activate it?

Here is what I find in manuals for Windows:
    http://www.manula.com/manuals/agilebits/1password-4-for-windows/4/en/topic/sharing-an-item?q=share
    Sharing an item
    When you select a Login or other item in the list area, the details area includes a “share” button. Clicking that button reveals two options:

Copy to Clipboard
    Send E-mail Message

Copy
    Copying an item to the clipboard (like selecting the item in the list area and pressing Ctrl+C) copies the item to the system clipboard. You can then switch vaults and press Ctrl+V to paste a copy of the item into the newly opened vault.

• Hi @vipson,

1Password for Windows does not have that ability to directly copy/move items between vaults, this is at the moment exclusive to the Mac app. You have to explicitly do what the guide suggested, Copy to Clipboard and then switch to the other vault to paste it in via Control + V.

It sounds like you're not able to paste it in. Is it possible this is related to your clipboard setting, meaning that 1Password cleared your clipboard before you managed to press the paste shortcut?

I tested this and it works for me, here's the message I got when I pressed Control + V in a different vault:

Try adjusting your clipboard options in 1Password's Security preferences:

Does that help?

• vipson
    vipson
    Community Member

Basically I have mast vault - super set of items, and I want to create sub vaults which will have few items from Master vaults. So to make sure that I get the same details & fields in the sub vaults, I was trying to copy each item from master vault and then paste it into sub vaults. For some reason that day it did not work. Today I tried and it worked for few items. I need to recollect why it did not work/need to spend little more time to find out what did not work.

Sorry for late reply as I was stuck in some unavoidable situation and could not go over your reply.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @vipson,

Glad to hear it seems to be working for you now! No problem about the late reply. If you run into more trouble trying to copy/paste items between different vaults, please let us know.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

It sounds like what you're wanting to do is move items from what you're calling a master vault to another vault you can give to other people. Is that correct?

If so, you can open the "source" vault, select the All folder, select (in the list area) all the items you want to move to another vault, choose File > Export, select Selected items and 1Password Interchange Format, and create a .1pif file; then delete the selected items (moving them to the 1Password trash); then switch to the "target" vault (or create a new vault, if it doesn't exist yet), choose File > Import, and locate and select the .1pif file you just created.

Once you've confirmed that the items have moved correctly to the new vault, you can switch back to the "source" vault and empty the trash, if you like.

Caution: The .1pif file is not encrypted; your data is recorded in plain text, so you'll want to securely delete that file when you're finished with it.

• vipson
    vipson
    Community Member

@Dbrown - yes. That is exactly I want to do like in corporate environment. I did not try the .1pif for the reason you mentioned (not encrypted) but I think the way you are describing will be better option rather than going back and forth. The only thing I need to make sure of is security as you mentioned.
    Thank you..

I have posted another topic with multiple items in it. Some of the things I think could make the product much better and you may already have it on Mac version which I am not aware of...Anyway, thank you for this option...Will make my day :)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

Thanks again for sharing your passion for 1Password, @vipson! We our 1Password extended family.

• JKauhanen
    JKauhanen
    Community Member

1Password for Windows does not have that ability to directly copy/move items between vaults, this is at the moment exclusive to the Mac app.

Is this feature in the works for Windows as well?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

Is this feature in the works for Windows as well?

@JKauhanen‌ 1Password 4 for Windows supports this (copy/move items between vaults, that is)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

1Password 4 for Windows supports this (copy/move items between vaults, that is)

News to me @svondutch. I thought you had to export to 1pif files from one vault and then import them into the other vault.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@RichardPayne Here's how to copy an item from vault A to vault B:

1. Unlock vault A
    2. Select your (Login) item
    3. Press Ctrl+C (Copy to Clipboard)
    4. Unlock vault B
    5. Press Ctrl+V (Paste from Clipboard)
  • RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@svondutch that mechanism was explained earlier the thread. It is not what @JKauhanen‌ was referencing, which a direct method, preferably drag and drop like the Mac version.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@RichardPayne, you can't have two vaults open at the same time in 1Password for Windows.

Please see Sharing an item for related information (and Sharing a vault, because that's the name of this thread).

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Yeah, I know @DBrown. That issue has been covered extensively before. The point was that Ctrl+C -> Ctrl+V did not address the complaint.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Understood. I was just pointing out that you can't drag from one vault to another if you can't have more than one vault open at a time.

Sorry for any confusion caused by my reply. :(

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

No, but you could mimic it by decrypting a whole set of selected items in memory, close the current vault, open another vault and then import the items from memory.
    It would be basically the same as the manual method, but all a little smoother with no need to deal with securely erasing files from the drive.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Closing a vault locks it. Having decrypted items from that vault stored in memory seems like a security hole.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

No more than having decrypted items stored on disk, and you don't rely on the user to correct secure erase the files either.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

Can you clarify this for me?

you don't rely on the user to correct secure erase the files either

I assume I've misunderstood, because we do, indeed, ask users to decide where to save a decrypted attachment, ask them to decide whether to delete them after it's been viewed, and remind them to do a "secure deletion" if they want the saved file to be completely irretrievable.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I was referring to the advise on copying between vaults which is to export to a csv or 1pif file(s) and then re-import.

• Kramerty88
    Kramerty88
    Community Member

In addition to the questions above, the main question for me is: why doesn't the Windows app have the same functionalities as the Mac app. I experience the same hassle for sharing passwords and syncing multiple vaults.
    Yes, copy paste is a work around. No, it is most definetely not a workable long term solution to copy paste, or export import.
    Second to that I also wonder why I can't have multiple vaults opened. The iOS and Macs can. Also multiple competitors can.

So for me the biggest question still remains to be why the Windows app lacks basic functions compared to Apple's. Will this change in the future?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@Kramerty88‌ wrote:

So for me the biggest questions still remains to be why the Windows app lacks basic functions compared to Apple's.

Apple's?

If you mean compared to 1Password for Mac, also from AgileBits, please note that 1Password for Windows includes features (like auto-type) that are missing from 1Password for Mac.

We are a small company developing and maintaining new and existing versions of complex software on multiple platforms. With different teams focusing on those different platforms, not to mention on new and existing versions, 1Password for Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android will always be "leapfrogging" each other, new features appearing on one before they appear on the others.

So, while I disagree that 1Password on any of the supported platforms lacks "basic functions," I suppose the answer is technically, "No, it will not change," and I hope you understand, in the context, why that is the case.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

@RichardPayne wrote:

I was referring to the advise on copying between vaults which is to export to a csv or 1pif file(s) and then re-import.

On the contrary, a search for "1PIF" in 1Password 4 for Windows the user's guide turns up three "hits":

1PIF

1Password Interchange Format. An unencrypted export format best suited for use in one-time data migration. All item types can be exported to a 1PIF file.

Caution: Because 1PIF stores your data as plain text, you should protect a .1pif file in transit and securely delete it as soon as you finish the transfer.

1Password Interchange Format

The best way by far to share and sync your 1Password data is to use Dropbox (as described here). That way, your 1Password data is up to date and available on your PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Android device, no matter where you modify it.

If you just need to move your 1Password data once from Windows to the Mac for some reason, though, you can export it from 1Password for Windows, select 1Password Interchange Format, and import the resulting .1pif file into 1Password for Mac.

Caution: 1Password Interchange Format files are not encrypted. Your data in the .1pif file is stored in JSON, a plain text format, so be sure to delete it securely on both machines, when you’ve completed the transfer. For your security, do not use an online JSON viewer to read a .1pif file, because your private data would be transmitted in plain text.

Cleaning up

Caution:

• 1Password Interchange Format files are not encrypted. Your data in the .1pif file is stored in JSON, a plain text format, so be sure to delete it securely on both the source and destination machines, when you’ve completed the transfer. For your security, do not use an online JSON viewer to read a .1pif file, because your private data would be transmitted in plain text.

• Delimited text files are not encrypted. Your data is saved in plain text, so be sure to delete the import file securely on both the source and destination machines, when you’ve completed the transfer. For your security, do not use a cloud-based service to read or transfer the file between machines, because your private data would be transmitted in plain text.

• Roboform “print to HTML” files are not encrypted. HTML is saved in plain text, so be sure to delete the import file securely on both the source and destination machines, when you’ve completed the transfer. For your security, do not use a cloud-based service to read or transfer the file between machines, because your private data would be transmitted in plain text.

I always intend to include similar cautions with any online advice involving saving your 1Password data in a plain-text format, although I certainly could've overlooked it, in the rush to get a useful answer posted. I'll try to be extra careful.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I am not in any way denigrating your arse covering ability @DBrown! :P

The simple fact of the matter is (a) people are terrible at remembering to follow instructions and (b) people are terrible at following instructions when they do remember. I recall one of your guys telling me that the aim was to make security easy to do by default. This seems to go against that, very laudable, aim.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

It has nothing to do with me, other than doing my job, which is simply to explain how to use the software. For reasons discussed at length in this and many other threads in these forums, 1Password for Windows gives users full control over the management of their decrypted data. We believe that this is the safest accommodation for the nature of the Windows environment at this time.

• twka90
    twka90
    Community Member

@DBrown, after quickly scanning through the thread, I got that "with current version of 1Password it's impossible to have more than one vault open at a time on Windows". What I wonder about is whether there are plans for doing that in the future?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

I expect the vault-handling behavior of 1Password on all the platforms for which we provide it will continue to evolve, and I don't expect the result of that evolution to look exactly like it does today on any of those platforms.

This discussion has been closed.