Will modifying a field (e.g. Notes) trigger DropBox synch ? [Yes]

Options
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Yesterday, I upgraded one Mac to Yosemite 10.10 and 1P(AB web site) from v4.4.2 to v5.0.1.

I was able to synch via Dropbox and created/copied a secondary vault from one Mac (A) to the another Mac (B). I later made some changes in the Notes field of a Login item on (A).

But DropBox synching now seems uncertain. The DropBox icon's msg on (B) says the secondary vault was "synched a few seconds ago", but the changes in Notes on (A) are not being updated on (B)... and visa versus.

Is this normal behavior among some fields or Catagories when synching via DropBox ?

Comments

• Hi @Lamplighter,

Any changes you make should result into an immediate sync by Dropbox. We're not just changing the content, we're also re-encrypting the data, and it is a bigger change that Dropbox should pick up right away.

I wonder if 1Password did pick up the change from Dropbox but didn't update the interface. In other words, 1Password on Mac (B) do have the update but it didn't update the interface to show it.

Can you repeat this as a test and when 1Password on Mac (B) shows it was synced, select a different category on the sidebar, and then go back to refresh the item list. Select the updated item and see if it picks up the change.

If not, try changing the vault back and forth.

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    Options

I edited Notes on an item in a secondary vault. 1P picked up the modification and changed the Date Modified. But DropBox did not pick up the change on (A)... and so of course, did not transfer the change over to (B) Like wise, I created a Secure Note (on A) and modified the Notes field. Even this new item did not trigger DropBox.

So my problem must be between the 1P5 on (A) and DropBox synching on (A). I'll look into this...

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    Options

I know I need help. As in my above comment, the DropBox synching is not working. I have ended up tearing almost everything apart, trying to back track enough to start over. On my MacMini (A) I still have my original Primary and 4 secondary vaults. I am using vault # 2 as my model for testing ... and I want to synch ONLY vault # 2 (1pWHM2_MONTANA). So far, no joy.

I am following the Manual for 1P5, starting on page 70 . When I get to the last step (bottom of p 82, instead of "Last synched: a second ago", I'm getting "Never synched"

On the DropBox page, there is a folder named with ".....agile..eychain. Inside is a "1Password.html" file and a "data" folder. Digging down further finally reaches the "Default" folder with 24 files, including the "contents.jcs" - code file. So to me, everything seems to be there. but it is still not synching across to my other devises.

Where have I gone astray ?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Lamplighter‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble here. Mike's on his weekend right now, so I'll do my best to help you out.

I just want to confirm your situation though. It sounds to me like you're doing your testing in a separate vault than your actual data, is that correct? Because each vault has separate sync settings, testing sync in a secondary vault will help you very little in determining how sync will work in your primary vault. Were you seeing sync problems in your primary vault? Or in the 'test' vault originally?

I am using vault # 2 as my model for testing ... and I want to synch ONLY vault # 2

In order to sync a secondary vault, you will need to first set up sync for this vault in Preferences > Sync. To add this vault to another machine, you must open your Dropbox folder on that machine, and doubleclick the 'vaultname'.agilekeychain file to add it to 1Password. (Apologies if you've already done this, but it's not 100% clear in your previous post, and I want to make sure we're not missing anything obvious here.)

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Yes Megan, I think I have done everything in your last paragraph... a few times.

To clarify what I am doing: I do not wish to synch my Primary vault ... at all ... ever. Nor do we wish to synch the Primary vaults of the other members of my family. Each person's Primary vault will be theirs, to do with as they wish. I am using my Primary vault and the 1P Export function to copy individual Login items over to my other (#2-#5) secondary vaults.

Since finding this problem in DropBox not synching with other users, I have torn up my 1P5 system, and feel I should start over with DropBox.

I have put my vault#2 up to be shared with User#2. It shows up in the DBX icon of my MacMini as 1Password> 1pWHM2_MONTANA.agilekeychain.
    But I'm now lost as to how to set it up on User#2' Mac... This User#2 has their own DropBox ID, as do all the other family members.

Any ideas as to how to proceed from here ? How does User#2 activate this synch ?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Lamplighter‌

Have you read our support article on how to share a non-primary vault? It goes through the process of sharing a vault, including sharing the vault between Dropbox accounts.

I hope this helps, but of course we're here if you have any further questions. :)

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@Megan‌: Yes, I have followed the sequences in that article, and the one on "synching secondary vaults", and some others synching via DropBox. It's been hectic because whenever an attempt would fail, it seemed to cause yet another problem, and I would have to start all over. In any case, I have stopped now at the following situation...

I have a simple "shared folder" on DropBox with a text file that I use as a diary to show that DropBox synching is working. I stripped out all other files on DropBox, and deleted the only secondary vault in my wife's 1p5 database (#B).

I then followed the above article's procedure using DropBox to share another folder with my secondary vault (#2) from my MacMini (#A) --- over to (#B and installed it as her #2 secondary vault . Both #A and #B are working as expected in calling up websites, and seem to be properly installed on DropBox.

But now, as before, changing a field on an item in (#B) does NOT update that field on it's companion item in (#A), and visa versa.

(This is the same situation that started this thread back on 10/25/14)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Lamplighter,

I'm so sorry that this process has been hectic for you! It does sound like you're setting everything up correctly via Dropbox:

• Sharing the folder that the .agilekeychain file is in, and not the .agilekeychain itself
    • double-clicking on the .agilekeychain file on #B's computer to open it as a secondary vault ...

If that's the case, we might need to take a closer look at your computers, both #A and #B. I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan: Yes, those 2 steps are how I reached my current situation.

The Diagnostic Report ( [#QBD-35935-911] ) was sent today (10/29) at 11:55 am.
    While sending this Report, a Crash Report (?) msg appeared that a "...helper (?) " had quit suddenly. I sent that in just after my Diagnostic Report.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Lamplighter,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! I've updated the email thread with the necessary details from this forum discussion so that it is easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some further information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: QBD-35935-911

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@Megan So far no word from the support team. Do you have any suggestions/alternatives on the "synching" of secondary vaults that I could try over this coming weekend?

Yesterday, Dropbox support staff guided me thru re-installation of Dropbox software, and I updated 1Password to v5.0.2.

Right now my situtation is: The initial transfer / synch of my secondary vault (#2) structure and data on computer(A) were successfully copied over to computer (B) to become it's secondary vault(B/#2). Dropbox sends notifications back and forth between (A) and (B), and time-modifications on each computer are registered in the Dropbox 1P ">>>>default" folder. But... changes made to 1P item-fields made on (A/#2) do not actually get updated in (B/#2), and vise versa.

The User Guides say that each vault's synching parameters are independent, but has anyone been able to synch one secondary vault to another secondary vault using DropBox ?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Lamplighter‌

has anyone been able to synch one secondary vault to another secondary vault using DropBox ?

I have several shared vaults syncing through Dropbox, most of them across multiple Dropbox accounts, and I've never had a problem. What you're describing here is rather odd. We'll need to take a look at that Diagnostics Report to determine where things are getting tangled up.

I've sent your Report directly to our experts, you should see a response soon.

This discussion has been closed.