Duplicated encryptionKeys.js causing problem with Andoid app (fixed)

dillinga
dillinga
Community Member

Hi Guys,

First time post as I've literally just started using the service. Came upon an interesting problem that I thought I'd share along with the fix as this seems like a little bug.

Started using 1Password yesterday night - set my master password, configured Dropbox-sync and installed on Android/IOS. All good.
Today, I updated my master password and installed 1Password for Mac. All good, both work with the new password.

This evening - I try and sign-in to the Android app but the password fails. I eventually tried the old one and it worked, the sync was then successful and all my new items appeared. I think that bit is normal.
However, after locking and re-opening, still it would only accept the old password.
After some digging and 'adb push' work to test syncing from a local file system I noticed that I had 2 version of encryptionKeys.js:

Oct 23 23:17 encryptionKeys.js
Oct 24 11:02 encryptionKeys (1).js

Note that the time stamp for the most recent update (which coincided with the password change) is named with a ' (1)' at the end.

So, I tested removing the 'old' version and renaming the (1) and it worked. I then backed up my Dropbox folder (just in case), did the same update live then re-installed the Android app again (this time taking the vault from Dropbox) and then tested logging back in to Mac/IOS.

Hope that helps someone in the same boat as me and points one of you lucky devs to an edge-case that needs to be fixed ;).

Cheers,

Tony

Comments

• Hi Tony,

Thanks for writing in to share your experience with us. It would seem that you have encountered two separate issues.

The first is that 1Password 4 for Android does not automatically sync master password changes from other platforms. If you do change the master password for your vault on another platform, you will need to unlock 1Password 4 on your Android device with your old master password and then update the master password there by going to Settings > Security > Change Master Password. From that point onward, you will be able to unlock 1Password on your Android device using the new master password.

The second is something that can happen on rare occasions with Dropbox. It seems that this can happen when multiple copies of 1Password have been attempting to access the encryptionKeys.js file simultaneously. I believe this was an unintentional side-effect of changing your master password, so it shouldn't happen again. If does though, please be sure to mention it so that I can look into it further.

I hope that explanation helps!

Cheers,
    Michael

• dillinga
    dillinga
    Community Member

Nice - thanks for the explanation Michael.

• My pleasure! Let me know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.