1Password for multiple computers possible? Causing browser extension issue (Windows 8, Chrome)

Hello :)

I'm new to 1Password so sorry if asking a "stupid" question. But here we go:

I have one desktop computer and one laptop computer both running Windows
I also have an iPhone.
I purchased the license inside the iOS app and also downloaded and purchased the license for the Windows application.
I set up a vault and sharing via Dropbox. (Works like magic - very happy!).

I installed the Windows software on the desktop computer and on that I also installed the browser extension.
It works fine :)

Problem now is on my laptop computer as soon as I start Google Chrome there, I get an error message from the browser extension on that.
Is reads "Looking for the 1Password helper. The 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly."

So my question is this, can I/should I install the same Windows app on also the notebook in order for the browser extension to work also on the laptop?
Is that needed?

And will the same license key work for 2 active computer at the same time?

Is there a way to get browser extension to work on a different computer without the "full" suite of Windows app on that computer also?

Thinking it might cause issues to have even one more device running a full version of my vault, syncing that also needs to be setup again to dropbox etc... ?

Any one else who run in to this issue?

Thank you kindly
Per

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

So my question is this, can I/should I install the same Windows app on also the notebook in order for the browser extension to work also on the laptop? Is that needed?

Yes

And will the same license key work for 2 active computer at the same time?

Yes

Is there a way to get browser extension to work on a different computer without the "full" suite of Windows app on that computer also?

No.

Thinking it might cause issues to have even one more device running a full version of my vault, syncing that also needs to be setup again to dropbox etc... ?

Shouldn't be a problem. You've only got one pair of hands so, at most, you'll only be modifying 1Password data on 2 devices at the same time. Concurrency shouldn't be an issue. ;)

• Per Tuleberg
    Per Tuleberg
    Community Member

okay, great I will try, thank you :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Per Tuleberg,

I'm glad RichardPayne's information was helpful for you. If you have more questions, please let us know, we're always glad to help! :)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

The browser extensions do just that: they extend the functionality of 1Password to the supported web browsers. Without 1Password on the same PC, there's no functionality to extend. Fortunately, a single-user 1Password for Windows license allows you to install 1Password for Windows on as many Windows devices as you like.

That chance of unmoderated simultaneous access (and the inherent risk of data corruption) is why we don't recommend storing your 1Password data on a "network share" or similar drive.

To share and sync your 1Password data, we recommend Dropbox (and other options, as documented in the user's guide). Dropbox manages simultaneous access, preventing the risk of data corruption.

• Per Tuleberg
    Per Tuleberg
    Community Member

It was no problem to install the software with the same key on also my second Windows system, its also up and running great with sync via Dropbox so all my devices share the same info now. LOVE IT! Thank you all :smiley:

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Great, I'm glad it's all working well for you, and happy to hear the information from RichardPayne and DBrown was helpful! If you ever need anything else, please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.