Use touch id to unlock 1P running on a Mac

Options
sayhiworld
sayhiworld
Community Member

For a security consideration, I picked a very long master password(33 chars) and setup auto lock 1P after 5 mins idle, so i had to type 33 chars after a timeout again and again. Could I use an iOS device with touch id to unlock 1P running on OS X Yosemite when the iOS device is very close to that Mac?

Comments

• Hi @sayhiworld‌,

Currently you cannot use 1Password 5 for iOS' Touch ID system to unlock 1Password 5 for Mac. While this is an oft-requested feature, we're not sure the Continuity API's introduced in iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite can accommodate such a thing, and even if they can, we would need to make sure it could be done securely.

I personally have a similar Master Password length and also use the 5 minute timeout. It should only be locking down if your Mac is completely idle with no keyboard or mouse input within 5 minutes, meaning if you at using the Mac it should remain open. If it is locking down sooner than that, you should check the other settings in 1Password for Mac's Security Preferences.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @chrisdj‌

It's interesting to know the approximate length of your password, and that you don't find it a hassle to enter it frequently.

I am wondering about using much longer passwords than I currently have both for 1PW and for my computer account password, and trying to balance convenience against security.

• Hi @danco,

In my case, I have an eight-word diceware type of password, it's not that much of a hassle for me to type in because I'm not dealing with a random string of characters but rather a random collection of words that's easily typed and some symbols to strengthen it, some are between words.

You might find this article useful to read: http://blog.agilebits.com/2011/06/21/toward-better-master-passwords/

This discussion has been closed.