Multiple Vault Workflow and sync help

Saomes
Saomes
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Hello,

I have been using 1PW for a long time (started with 1PW 3), but would not consider myself a power user. I have a strong understanding of the mac vs. iOS versions and have been happy with the ease of use and increased security that I have since I have started using 1PW.

I am starting this discussion, because I want to streamline my 1PW system and really take advantage of the product.

My curent setup:

Myself - several mobile devices, and three osx machines sync via iCloud - all devices on 1PW 4, all apple ecosystem
I am very diligent borderline obsessive about maintaining my data in my 1PW vault

Wife - several mobile devices, and two osx machines sync via iCloud - all devices on 1PW 4, all apple ecosystem
My wife doesn't share my diligence when it comes to maintaining here data (its a mess)

(I am in the process of converting all gear to Yosemite and iOS 8 and 1PW 5 app store version)

OK here is what I would like help with;

I want to keep my vault separate from my wife's vault, but there are a bunch of logins, driver license, medical cards, memberships, etc. that I want to maintain and make sure that that data is synced to all of my gear and all of my wife's gear. Currently, I take some time once every couple of months and export common logins and message them to my wife's computer and import them into her vault. This is time consuming and doesn't solve the problem of when she changes a common login and doesn't tell me. I think the way to solve this is to use multiple vaults.

"My vault", "Wife vault", and "Family vault". Our personal vaults will sync via iCloud and the "Family vault" will sync via dropdox. Is this the correct setup, or is there a better way to structure?

I have created the "Family vault" to see how it all works together. What I have noticed is that you have to switch between the two vaults when filling in a login in Safari. If I am logged into "My vault" and I keep our joint bank account data in the "Family vault", when I go to the bank login page, I don't see a login in the drop down until I switch to the "Family vault". Is there a better way to setup the vaults so that you only visually see one set of logins without having to switch back and forth?

Is there a way to to eliminate the third "Family vault" and just mark or tag specific logins, driver license, medical cards, memberships, etc and keep those synced between "My vault" and "Wife vault"

I hope this was not to much. I can't imagine that other couples and work mates don't have this same problem. I thank you for any ideas that you can share, or best practice regarding this topic.

Comments

• Hi @Saomes,

Before we proceed, I’d like to double check on the upgrade to Yosemite/iOS 8.

The iCloud sync in 1Password 5 for Mac/iOS will only be supported in that specific configuration, it will not sync to any Macs or iOS devices that are running prior versions of iOS and OS X.

Dropbox will sync your 1Password data with prior versions of iOS and OS X (with some limitations depending on how far you go back). If you get stuck with an older version, your iCloud data will not show up.

Our personal vaults will sync via iCloud and the "Family vault" will sync via dropdox. Is this the correct setup, or is there a better way to structure?

Yes, you have that absolutely correct. iCloud sync can only sync the primary vault, so make sure you don’t open the secondary vault first on your wife’s computer and/or iOS devices because the first vault you open in 1Password is the primary vault.

First, set 1Password up on both Macs separately to create the primary vault. After that, sync them to the respective iOS devices. After this, you can then deal with the secondary vaults via Dropbox.

What I have noticed is that you have to switch between the two vaults when filling in a login in Safari

You’re also correct here, you have to switch vaults to find existing data that matches the site. .

We do see the frustrations here because over time when you have more vaults, it’ll be very annoying to switch to find the data you need.

We plan to fix this in the future but we don’t have a timeframe on this as this is a major change to the UI.

Improvement ID #: OPM-1840

Is there a way to to eliminate the third "Family vault" and just mark or tag specific logins, driver license, medical cards, memberships, etc and keep those synced between "My vault" and "Wife vault"

No, the reason is when you consider the way encryptions work. Both vaults are going to be encrypted differently with its own passwords, it is technically complex to merge them in when dealing with two different passwords at the same time. That’s also why you have to switch vaults, we decrypt the vault individually with its own key.

I hope this was not to much. I can't imagine that other couples and work mates don't have this same problem. I thank you for any ideas that you can share, or best practice regarding this topic.

It is not too much, it’s very good, and very useful for us because we don’t always see how our customers want to use 1Password. Sometime when we design a feature and we see it get used in unexpected ways, we go “oh yea, that could’ve been done differently”.

You pretty much hit it all on the nail, your idea and how to proceed with is the best way at the moment.

• wikiwa
    wikiwa
    Community Member

I'd like to +1 Saomes' comment about the UI and switching between vaults.

I recently migrated my wife and I to a shared vault for our common logins, but she has duplicate sites in her personal vault and the shared, so jumping back and forth is cumbersome. Using the keyboard shortcut has also resulted in logging into the wrong account on multiple occassions.

(My primary use is on OSX, but the iOS vault switching is just as cumbersome, in my opinion.)

• Hi @wikiwa,

Thanks for adding your experience, I've added it to our tracker. It will help the design team to come up with a better UI in the future.

• Aviv Ben-Yosef
    Aviv Ben-Yosef
    Community Member

Same here. This is prompting me to just use the same vault for now since switching between vaults will be cumbersome.

• Thanks, Aviv! I've added your feedback.

This discussion has been closed.