Can't paste password to Chrome beta sign in [An issue with new Chrome Sign-In page]

Options
Andy Pust
Andy Pust
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

I'm using Chrome Version 39.0.2171.27 beta (64-bit) for Mac. The sign in process has changed a little recently and now I'm unable to paste my password into the sign in screen to sync bookmarks and everything with my Google account. They've also removed the ability to right click.

I guess this is a decision on the part of Google, and this is only the beta version as far as I'm aware, but other password manager users might want to be aware.

Comments

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Andy Pust‌,

Thanks for the heads up :smiley:

By the looks of this seems like a separate panel (window) coming from Chrome. It looks like you are logging in to a new Chrome profile.

Can you fill regular Chrome tabs with 1Password?

Does 1Password work with the current stable version of Chrome for you?

I look forward to your reply :wink:

Cheers!

Rad

• Sinsear
    Sinsear
    Community Member
    Options

I can corroborate that this is really annoying, considering how my Google password is 64 characters long and is a massive pain to type. It seems like this is a Chrome implementation, which disallows the use of copying and pasting into the login field. All other web pages work fine in Chrome.

• j0ni
    j0ni
    Community Member
    Options

Ironically I pasted my password into google just now (prior to completing 2fa) so I could post this comment.

I really don't know what to say to these people. The damage they do due to their misunderstanding of security is upsetting. The only comfort is that I'm sitting in front of a computer, in all other ways physically comfortable and mentally untroubled; whereas I could be standing in front of a 250lbs TSA moron having been forced to remove my shoes and belt, trying to explain how the extra 14ml in my deodorant can doesn't actually make it suddenly more of a threat, and that I might actually have used those 14ml over the preceding week and so it might be under the magic 200ml limit. But how do we test that assertion without wasting the precious hours and minutes of both of our lives?

These are indeed first world problems. But we are headed down a dark, sad and suppliant road my friends. The only people loud and angry enough to make a difference are idiots. The rest of us tug on our forelocks and write pointless comments on message boards.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Sinsear,

Could you please confirm a few details for me:

• Which version of Chrome you are currently using - are you on the beta as well?
    • If so, does the release version behave properly for you?
    • Are you seeing this window when logging into a new Chrome profile?

Hi @j0ni,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts here! I hope that the road we are on is not too dark, but I will definitely agree with you that it's important, every now and then to stop and think about how lucky we are to deal with these 'first world problems'. :)

• j0ni
    j0ni
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@Megan‌ haha yes, forgive my late night slightly inebriated reverie.

I realize you weren't addressing your questions to me, but FWIW, I happened across this issue using Chrome Canary. I'm not touching my regular Chrome sign-in state just in case the problem exists there too, sorry. I really don't want to have to type in the long random password.

One final thought - the road is pretty dark, but I still think this is the best time there has ever been to be alive. Hah!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @j0ni,

You can always feel free to post late night reveries here - if nothing else, it's great for a smile, and some days that is much needed indeed! :)

We'll keep an eye on this issue - if you notice any further details about this, please do let us know!

• Sinsear
    Sinsear
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@Megan

• 39.0.2171.42 beta (64-bit)

• No, the regular version doesn't allow me to copy and paste into the field either.

• This is for the sign-in prompt when signing into my Google profile within Chrome.

• MikeT
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

This is a known issue with the new Sign-in page on Chrome, there isn't a way we can fill in because it's a part of the Chrome itself, not an area the extension can get into.

Can you open this page in Chrome and see if it lets you fill in: chrome://chrome-signin/?source=3&auto_close=1

• krgraham
    krgraham
    Community Member
    Options

Problems continue with Chrome 40.0.2214.10 beta (64-bit)

1Password seems to create serious problems for me. I don't need to use 1PW to enter my password, but every time I type in my password the 1PW window pops up which prevents me from singing in to Chrome. No matter what I click to dismiss the 1PW window, Chrome never gives me the window to enter by 2-step authentication code. In other words, right now I CANNOT sign in to Chrome unless I disable 1PW.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @krgraham,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password and Chrome right now.

Please try adding the Chrome sign-in page to the 'Automatically ask to Save new Logins' exceptions list in Preferences > Browser. This should prevent 1Password from asking to save your details on this page.

This discussion has been closed.