1Password Updates for Everyone email (v4 –> v5)

Options
Erique
Erique
Community Member

Hi there, I am one of undoubtedly many who received Dave’s email on 07/10/14 (that is 10/07/14 for USA readers) telling me that:

Last but certainly not least, we have been working feverishly on 1Password 5 for OS X Yosemite. 1Password 5 will require OS X Yosemite and will be a free update for all 1Password 4 for Mac customers.

Now I'm about to upgrade my OS to Yosemite and am wondering where I can get that free update from v4 to the new v5. I don't want to commit to Yosemite until I have downloaded a copy of v5 because 1P is one of the very first apps that I will install upon upgrading my OS.

Any response appreciated.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

If you purchased from the Mac App Store, you won't seen version 5 until after you install Yosemite. After that, it will automatically appear as an update in the MAS. I'm an AgileBits web store customer, and after I installed Yosemite, the first time I tried to open 1Password, it notified me there was an update, and when I agreed to accept it, it downloaded and installed in the usual way.

One bit of experience that might save you from worry is that after version 5 installed, the shortcut to 1Password in my dock stopped opening the software. I had to drag the new version into the dock from the Application folder, then discard the icon for the old version.

I suppose making version 5 inaccessible until after Yosemmite is installed is meant to protect users from trying to install it on a system where it won't run.

• Erique
    Erique
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the thorough reply, hawkmoth. It all makes sense and seeing I'm also a web store customer, I'll follow your instructions once I have installed Yosemite.

• Hi @Erique,

hawkmoth's post is correct. Our app updater and Mac App Store knows which OS X version you're currently on and will not offer you updates that are for newer versions. If you try to run it on top of Mavericks, it won't open.

1Password 5 updates will show up like your typical free 1Password updates, it'll do this automatically for all 1Password 4 apps once it detects it is on Yosemite.

@hawkmoth:

One bit of experience that might save you from worry is that after version 5 installed, the shortcut to 1Password in my dock stopped opening the software.

Correct, the reason is because we renamed the app file from 1Password 4.app to 1Password 5.app. The shortcut was saved with the path to 1Password 4.app and doesn't work anymore.

• Erique
    Erique
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks MikeT, yes, I'd noticed the iPhone app updated without a hitch. Now all I have to do is take that leap to Yosemite.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Erique, hopefully everything goes well with the upgrade to Yosemite and 1Password 5, but please let us know if you need any help. :)

This discussion has been closed.