New user question - importing KeePass data, deleted items in Dropbox keychain

Options
xypass
xypass
Community Member
edited August 2014 in Mac

I just bought a bundle of 1password for mac and windows yesterday after having used KeePass for 3 years.

I tried to export my data from KeePass to a csv file and then import into 1password, however all the entries were messed up and I had to delete everything, including the entries I had manually entered. My question is, I had already set up dropbox sync before the import and after importing, the dropbox folder had several hundreds files in it, but after deleting everything from my (only) vault, all the keychain files in dropbox remained there undeleted. This makes me a little uncomfortable. Shouldn't passwords deleted from vault be also deleted from Dropbox? I had to stop syncing to get those files removed. Thank you!

I thought the main database of 1password would be put in dropbox, if I choose dropbox syncing, like KeePass does. Apparently, if I have two computers and adds an entry to 1password on one, the entry is first add in main database, then "synced" to the dropbox keychain file, then to dropbox server, then to the other computer's dropbox keychain file, then "synced" to the main database of 1password on the other computer. It makes me wonder if this four step syncing would be more prone to data conflict or loss.

A few complaint about importing so far: 1. I knew 1password 3 had the ability to import directly from KeePass and assumed 1password 4 would too. It was one important reason why I chose 1password. But apparently, you have to install separately a older version of the software to get this useful feature.
2. Dropping the import assistant and demand csv files have a specific ordering of columns also sounded a little absurd.

Comments

• xypass
    xypass
    Community Member
    Options

Also, is the main database of 1password also maintained the same way? Deleted entries remain in the database? I can't think of the benefit of this.

P.S. The files remained after I emptied the trash.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

I believe some of your questions about deleted items are answered here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/68297/#Comment_68297

Quote from that comment:

That is normal. When you empty your trash, the items are not gone but simply tombstoned. In other words, the data values are deleted for good but the metadata is left behind. The reason is because it's used to sync permanent deletions to other endpoints such as your iOS app, browser extensions and so on. If we deleted the file itself, the endpoints would think it's missing and syncs the data back to the data file.

• xypass
    xypass
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thanks for the comment, Xe997. That makes sense.

An update about importing: My first import using a csv failed because the columns of KeePass's export were not in the order 1password demanded. All the entries were imported, but messed up. This time I reordered the columns with excel, and then started importing, but nothing happens. 1password doesn't import any entries at all. Not even one. Doesn't even pop up an dialogue window stating how many failed and prompt me to read the log.

One thing special about my csv: it contains Chinese characters. Excel doesn't display them properly, Notepad++ and vim do. Could this be the reason?

Update: Excel seems to mess the csv up when changing the columns. Will try to do it in vim.

I still can't believe the decision to drop an mature feature in 1password 3 and not add it back almost a year after the initial release.

• Jeroenvb
    Jeroenvb
    Community Member
    Options

After some week I'm still struggling to get used to 1password, mainly because I don't understand why an app like Keychain2go manages to incorporate the mac osx keychain without further ado, while the support from agile bits refers to some complicated work around via terminal and a ruby script. I try to stick with 1password, but a was hoping for a seamless integration. Keychain2Go can do it, so could you guys from agile bit !

• Hi @Jeroenvb,

Keychain2Go as far as I can tell from their descriptions at the app store is designed to focus on your OS X keychain, it is their goal to make sure it always work with that. That's not our goal here with 1Password, it is not meant to be used to sync your OS X keychains, it is meant to hold all of your information within 1Password and only within 1Password, so that you only need to remember one password to reveal the rest of the sensitive information. It is also why 1Password is available on multiple platforms rather than just OS X and iOS.

If you need a tool to sync your OS X and iOS keychain data only, 1Password isn't the right tool for that. If you need a tool that is self-contained with strong encryption and help you manage your security with filling, generating strong passwords you don't have to remember, and many more, 1Password is the tool you can use. 1Password does not sync with other security tools for security reasons, we cannot promise to keep your data secure if we rely on others.

We focus mainly on 1Password and making it better over time, and we do try to help with the import and export formats. Unfortunately, each tool has a different way of exporting data that doesn't always fit into the way 1Password works. That's why we have some limited import support but we didn't skim on the industry format used often to transfer data, CSV. However, CSV is rather strict and isn't flexible enough to work between different tools. The good news is that we have an amazing community moderator, @MrC, who's been writing a tool designed to help with this, and he's always helping our community here to adjust his tools and scripts to work with our customers' needs.

If you can explain a bit more about the problem you're having with 1Password and the OS X keychain, we'd love to help you get the information into 1Password.

• Jeroenvb
    Jeroenvb
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response. I'm trying to do just as you said: getting al my stuff into 1password and work from there. But I'm having a hard time to:

1: getting my 800+ passwords/ wifi codes etc into 1password (from my OS X keychain)

2:logging into apps on my iOs device keeps me getting back to and fro kc2g (and after accomplishing problem 1, 1password), but is there a more elegant way to enter passwords from within apps besides safari?

3:what about syncing, can it be done automatically AND safe? I know the keychain is an encrypted vault but as a matter of security i really don't trust dropbox neither iCloud (although i currently have most of my pw stored there because it just works and i didn't find a better solution until 1password...hopefully. ;)

(But that's based on a great deal of trust i presume, i mean: how many users of encryption software are able to verify themselves if their data is encrypted that strong as they are told? You could for example encrypt every vault with a key like: "ABLAMOYY" I'm not able to verify that but it is known there are organizations even governmental ones that have passwords this stro..eehm weak ;) )

4: what about those wifi codes, iOs stores them no matter what, is it?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @Jeroenvb,

I'm sure someone from AgileBits will address your concerns and questions. However, I'll chime in on #1. Try my Convert to 1Password utility for your OS X Keychain conversion/import needs.

Please follow-up in that thread for converter-related issues/questions.

• Jeroenvb
    Jeroenvb
    Community Member
    Options

MrC,

You Are Awesome! ;)
    Thank you!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

You're welcome, and thank you for the nice compliment.

• Hi @Jeroenvb,

but is there a more elegant way to enter passwords from within apps besides safari?

On iOS 8, we have an app extension that any third party apps can use. There's a list of supported apps here: https://blog.agilebits.com/1password-apps/

Each app is sandboxed on the iOS platform for security reasons, so it is not possible for 1Password to automatically integrate with it nor does it even know if there's an app that exists on the device. The way around it is for the app to integrate our extension into their app and iOS will then becomes the middleman between both apps and share the information.

3:what about syncing, can it be done automatically AND safe?

All of our sync options are safe, we wouldn't include them in 1Password if we felt they weren't safe. Sync is done automatically but it depends on what kind of devices you have. On desktops, the sync are automatic but on mobile devices, they're almost automatic but dialed down to conserve the battery life.

Can you tell me your current setup other than the Macs and iOS devices?

(But that's based on a great deal of trust i presume, i mean: how many users of encryption software are able to verify themselves if their data is encrypted that strong as they are told? You could for example encrypt every vault with a key like: "ABLAMOYY"

We have a design document here that explains how we encrypt your here: https://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Security/keychain-design.html

Anybody can use that against us and write a cracker that'd get into your data in seconds but so far, nothing in the past several years. Here's the blog post on a cracker that has sped up a bit against 1Password data files: https://blog.agilebits.com/2014/03/10/crackers-report-great-news-for-1password-4/ and https://blog.agilebits.com/2013/04/16/1password-hashcat-strong-master-passwords/.

4: what about those wifi codes, iOs stores them no matter what, is it?

If you mean the Wi-Fi sync secret, yes, it is stored until you reset the data in 1Password via Settings > Advanced. The secret is more of an authorization process, not an authentication one. In other words, it is only used to authorize a specific Mac or device to sync but it doesn't let anybody into your data unless they know your master password to decrypt your data (authentication).

I hope that helps!

• Jeroenvb
    Jeroenvb
    Community Member
    Options

All right Mike,

Thank you too. Hope i didn't disturb your free afternoon, at least i've got something to chew on.

• Hi @Jeroenvb‌,

You're welcome! We're always here to answer any questions you have, so don't hesitate to give us more. :smirk:

This discussion has been closed.