New computer set up, how configure account and delete old computer license

Options
randy_va
randy_va
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

I have just set up a new iMac 27" computer, intended to replace an older 2009 iMac. After initial setup, apps, files and settings were moved to the new iMac using Apple's Migration Assistant from a Time Machine backup of the old iMac. My 1Password5 license is a "Family" license purchased from Agilebits on Aug 7, 2014. Sync is through Dropbox, and 1PW for IOS is used on my iPhone and iPad. I am temporarily using both iMacs while making sure all is well with the new iMac - apps work, documents verified, etc.

Questions:

1. Is there a procedure for deleting or de-activating the 1PW license from the older iMac? Is this necessary, either for proper function or to "preserve" a certain number of users on the "Family" license?

2. Is the "Family license" concept still active? I don't see this option in the Agilebits website now. I plan to add 1PW5 to my wife's iMac and her Macbook Air in the near future.

3. Could the simultaneous use of 1PW5 on both the old iMac and new iMac, both syncing to the same vault through Dropbox, cause a problem? I have noticed that at certain times both iMacs will show dramatically increased Dropbox activity. Repeated notifications every 6-8 seconds or so are seen on both iMacs, indicating Dropbox syncing activity that goes on for hours. The notifications appear repeatedly, stating "2 files added" or "2 files updated". Clicking on the notifications opens a Finder window that selects a sub- sub-folder within the 1Password agile...keychain file.

Regarding question #3, the thought occurs to me that there might be conflicting or "dueling" updates occurring - the old iMac updates and syncs, which triggers the new iMac to do the same, which triggers to old iMac to update and sync ... etc.

Comments

• Hi @randy_wa,

Congratulation on your new iMac!

Is there a procedure for deleting or de-activating the 1PW license from the older iMac? Is this necessary, either for proper function or to "preserve" a certain number of users on the "Family" license?

There is no need to do anything here, we do not keep track of activations. We only look out for an unreasonable amount that no single user or his/her family would ever meet in a single lifetime. If this happens, it is a sign when someone has pirated the license to be shared among the masses.

Beside that, you're all set to use the license on any Macs you have and the same for each family member, they can use it on any number of Macs.

You never have to worry about de-activating, we rather you focus on using 1Password and not licenses.

Is the "Family license" concept still active? I don't see this option in the Agilebits website now. I plan to add 1PW5 to my wife's iMac and her Macbook Air in the near future.

It is but we no longer sell it. All single user licenses can be shared with up to 6 family members in the same household. We're adopting the same Family Sharing model that Apple uses for their app stores.

Could the simultaneous use of 1PW5 on both the old iMac and new iMac, both syncing to the same vault through Dropbox, cause a problem?

No, Dropbox and 1Password have a conflict resolution system in place for when you try to modify the same item with different information at the same time. The odds of that happening is very low and when it does happen, 1Password will merge the conflicting information within the item and you can then deal with it by either removing the conflict section or update the item properly.

I have noticed that at certain times both iMacs will show dramatically increased Dropbox activity. Repeated notifications every 6-8 seconds or so are seen on both iMacs, indicating Dropbox syncing activity that goes on for hours.

Hmm, that's not right. If you're not modifying any data, no activity should occur. Dropbox does not notify you of any activity on the local side, only when remote data comes in.

I've seen this before and it often is an issue with the Dropbox app. You said you used the migration process, I believe that might cause the problem with Dropbox thinking it's the same iMacs.

Can you try reinstalling Dropbox on both Macs to see if that'll solve the problem?

• randy_va
    randy_va
    Community Member
    Options

MikeT,

Thank you, I will try the uninstall/reinstall as you suggested. I sent an email to Dropbox support to ask about the correct procedure - should I rename and move the Dropbox folder in each Mac to another folder for backup prior to the uninstall/reinstall? I anticipate that removing/reinstalling the Dropbox app would result in re-creating another dropbox folder on each iMac, correct? And should I try to "rename" one of the Macs in some way?

I'm trying to adhere to "Primum non nocere" - first, do no harm. I love 1Password and Dropbox and don't want to cause complications with either. If I understand this correctly, the 1Password data is stored locally and syncs to my other devices (through Dropbox), but Dropbox stores data in Dropbox servers and syncs data between my devices and the Dropbox servers. Is that right?

• MikeT
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @randy_va,

I anticipate that removing/reinstalling the Dropbox app would result in re-creating another dropbox folder on each iMac, correct?

No, it would just reinstall the app itself without affecting your Dropbox data, the whole process removes the app itself and reinstall the app, nothing else. You can see their information on what happens when you uninstall Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/help/41

When you reinstall Dropbox, Dropbox will reuse your folder and run a comparison to see what needs to be updated on both sides.

If I understand this correctly, the 1Password data is stored locally and syncs to my other devices (through Dropbox),

There are two separate copies of 1Password data, the local 1Password database and the sync files that 1Password creates to keep in sync with. In this case, 1Password puts the sync file in your Dropbox folder and it'll monitor that file to sync changes to its local database file.

If for an example, something nasty happens to your Dropbox folder like it got wiped out, it does not affect your 1Password database, it will simply disable the sync and alert you that something is wrong with the sync as it can't find your sync file.

but Dropbox stores data in Dropbox servers and syncs data between my devices and the Dropbox servers

Dropbox does the same thing, all of your files are locally stored on your drive. Dropbox has a background process where it monitors your Dropbox folder to push the local changes you make to their servers and if their server detects there are changes, it'll push it down to your devices.

This discussion has been closed.