HTML access on iOS without using iOS app

battlesman
battlesman
Community Member

I've read that my 1Password file can be read on Linux or in a web browser.

http://lifehacker.com/1passwordanywhere-lets-you-access-your-1password-vault-1580683606

I would like to attempt something even more difficult (without going into all the reasons): use the HTML file imbedded in the 1Password file in iOS without using the official 1Password iOS app. That is, use the Dropbox app to access the 1Password file, then open it in a browser.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

Do you object to opening dropbox on its web site through Safari or another browser? If not, you can do exactly what you want from an iOS device.

I just tried to access the HTML from the iOS Dropbox app on my iPad. It won't open. You just get an error message regarding a missing key data file.

• Hi @battlesman,

You can access 1PasswordAnywhere on iOS using Safari (but not using the Dropbox app). But keep in mind 1PasswordAnywhere was not designed for mobile browsers, and you'll get a much better experience using 1Password for iOS.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

• 1nn1k0
    1nn1k0
    Community Member

@JasperP : I tried opening the 1PasswordAnywhere HTML file on the following mobile browsers: Safari, Chrome, Opera (all iOS 8.1 on an iPad) - Chrome & Opera hang for 30 secs or so then let you log in after entering your Passphrase - Safari works better. However, all browsers have display issues: most importantly they don't display custom fields, which is a deal breaker.

I know there is a nice iOS app, but I'm sharing an iPad with my girlfriend (which uses 1Password, too) - and accessing 1Password through a browser would be a good work around - but as written doesn't really work... Or: bring multiuser support to the iOS app (since Apple refuses to support multiple accounts on an iPad). If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @1nn1k0‌

1PasswordAnywhere was designed during 1Password 3's lifetime, which did not support custom fields. We know that 1PasswordAnywhere could use a good update, and it is certainly on our to do list.

You're right, 1Password currently can't handle multiple users on a single iOS device very well. I think the best solution for this would be to have Apple support multiple users on iOS, but I'm not holding my breath. A different way of handling vaults on iOS (allowing a user to select which vault they unlock at the start) could help here, but that's not quite on our immediate roadmap.

I think the solution you have right now might be your best option. Of course, if you continue using 1PasswordAnywhere as your access to your data on iOS, I would recommend using note fields instead of custom fields for storing unique bits of data.

I'm sorry that I don't have a better answer for you here - thanks for sharing your situation!

• 1nn1k0
    1nn1k0
    Community Member

Hi @Megan - many thanks for your quick answer and your hints. I also think that multi-user support in iOS would be the best option. However, I don't think that will happen in the near future - so an update to 1PasswordAnywhere would be certainly helpful in the meantime. Thanks for your support and keep up the good work. Cheers.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @1nn1k0‌

I'm not holding my breath on the multiple users on iOS option either. ;) But I'm happy to let our developers know that you're keen on an update to 1PasswordAnywhere.

Thanks for the kind words - we're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

This discussion has been closed.