Latest versions: differences between iPad and iPhone sync

Stephen_C
Stephen_C
Community Member

I am running 1P 5.1.1 on my iPhone and iPad and 5.0.2 on my Mac. I am using wifi sync. There is a purely visual difference between what I see on the iPhone and what I see on the iPad (although sync on both is successful).

On the iPhone I end up at a screen which lists my Mac and my partner's Mac as sync choices. On the iPad I merely end up at a screen which offers "Sync now" with no list of Macs (although it does sync with my Mac).

I just wonder why there is a difference.

Stephen

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Stephen_C,

From your description, it sounds like you're in the middle of setting up Wi-Fi sync on your iPhone (i.e. steps 1 and 2 from these instructions). Once the setup is complete, you shouldn't need to go back to the screen that shows the available Mac(s). The sync should happen automatically when your Mac and iOS device are on the same Wi-Fi network and the app is open on both.

If I misunderstood which screen you're looking at, please let me know. Thanks!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@Drew_AG‌ thanks for the reply but I think it's not the solution to the visual difference. Wifi sync has been set up on both phone and iPad for many months but the path to wifi sync still differs on each device.

More specifically:
    1. On the phone I must go to Settings > Sync > Start Syncing > Sync Using Wi-Fi and then see the name of my MacBook which I have to select to go to the next screen, where I'm able to Sync now.
    2. On the iPad if I choose Sync from Settings I see this screen

I'm not at all sure why I have to go through all the extra hoops on the phone—even though wifi sync works, and has worked for some time, on both.

(Sorry for the formatting. Numbered lists go awry with the new forum software if you insert either a link or an image.)

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@Stephen_C, that's definitely strange - it should be working on your iPhone the same way as on your iPad. I believe you're syncing both devices with the same Mac, right?

Can you please double-check to make sure you have 1Password version 5.1.1 installed on your iPhone? You should see the exact version on the Settings screen, right underneath the "Recommend" option.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@Drew_AG‌ thanks for the response. I am syncing both devices to the same Mac. I also confirm I have version 5.1.1 on the iPhone (thanks for the directions for finding the version number: I never remember where it is!).

I'm pondering a deletion and re-install as all my passwords, etc., are on my Mac so I could try that and just sync again to see what happens.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@Stephen_C, thank you for confirming that. I only have one iOS 8 device right now, but I asked someone here to verify that two devices can be set up to automatically sync with a Mac via Wi-Fi at the same time. She said it worked as expected, so I'm still a bit stumped about why it's acting differently on your iPhone.

I think your idea to delete & reinstall the app on your iPhone is certainly worth a try, as long as all your 1Password data is up to date on your Mac. After deleting it, you might want to reboot the iPhone before reinstalling. Please let us know how it all goes, thanks!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@Drew_AG‌ thanks for the further response. I've just deleted 1P5 on the phone, re-installed and sync'd via wifi. I now get the same wifi sync screen on both phone and iPad.

The inexplicable wonders of modern technology... ;)

Thanks for your help.

Stephen

• Thanks for the update! Gremlins...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@Stephen_C, that's great news, I'm happy to hear that worked! Yeah, modern technology can certainly be funny that way. ;)

Thanks for letting us know!

This discussion has been closed.