Wondering about what my 1password license encompasses

alexandermag89
alexandermag89
Community Member

I bought 1password 3 for Snow leopard and have since upgraded to 1password 5 for Yosemite/Mavericks. I was wondering if, because I bought 1password 3, if I would be able to get all updates (e.g. for every new version released) or would I have to buy a new license at some point in the future. Also, I am getting an iPhone soon and wonder if I would have to buy 1password for iOS separately to use that. What all does my 1time 1password 3 purchase encompass?

(also, THANK YOU for your AWESOME product and support! Can't say enough about it!)

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alexandermag89,

I'm happy to hear you're enjoying 1Password! :smiley:

Your purchase of 1Password 3 for Mac allows you to use version 3 on all your personal Macs. When we released 1Password 4 for Mac, it was a paid upgrade (or free if you purchased version 3 in 2013 before version 4 was released). 1Password 5 for Mac is a free upgrade for version 4, or a paid upgrade from version 3.

You can read more about the way licenses work in the "License Terms" section of this site.

1Password is sold separately for each platform. For example, a license for the Mac version allows you to install 1Password on as many Macs as you personally use, but a separate purchase is required for Windows, or iOS, or Android.

1Password 5 for iOS is a free download, and offers free basic features. If you want to use the Pro Features, you can unlock them via In-App purchase. You would only need to purchase the Pro Features once and can unlock them in 1Password 5 on all your iOS 8 devices associated with your Apple ID.

We have more information in our Pro Features FAQ.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alexandermag89‌ I'm surprised your 1Password 3 licence is still working, I know if you purchased version 3 close to when version 4 came out they gave you a free upgrade but I believe that for most people moving from v3 to v4/5 was one that required a small investment and either way it would show as a 1Password 4 licence.

Here's the rub, AgileBits would undoubtedly love to offer free updates for life but sadly it isn't viable. Developing and supporting a product take a lot of resources. Now they won't ever stop you running a copy you've already paid for but at some point in the future they may release a sizeable update where they reluctantly have to ask. At that point the decision is entirely up to you.

I had that point myself when I moved from Snow Leopard to Mavericks. I was a long-term user of 1Password 3 on both OS X and iOS and the transition would require re-purchasing on both platforms. I spent probably $150 or so moving to the highly publicised free Mavericks and I don't regret a single one of those purchases for the software I consider invaluable of which 1Password definitely is one.

Now different platforms are separate purchases. It used to be you had to pay upfront for 1Password on iOS but they're trying something new at the moment. 1Password 5 for iOS 8 is free with an in-app purchase for the Pro features. I can't say for certain but I'm sure I paid more for the paid version so it seems even more of a bargain at the moment.

Here's the official word from our site regarding 1Password for Mac (webstore version)

Upgrade Policy

When you purchase AgileBits software your license will never expire and you can use it on the current version of the licensed application indefinitely. While the license itself will never expire, system updates from Apple could cause certain aspects of some software to stop working. For example, the Safari 5 upgrade stopped 1Password 2 from working correctly and required an updated version of 1Password.

Historically, AgileBits has been very generous with upgrades. Your purchase entitles you to free updates until the next major version upgrade. That means if you buy a license for version 2 of a product, you will get all 2.x releases for free, but upgrading to version 3 might require another purchase.

Please note that this upgrade policy is valid only for software sold and distributed directly by AgileBits. This policy is not applicable to software sold by other distributors, including the Mac App Store, iTunes App Store and Android Marketplace.

As the quote contained bold for emphasis in the original I've used italic to emphasise that transitioning between major versions may not even cost. Having studied computer science myself though I can tell you that caffeine related costs in relation to developers are usually massive and a developer without coffee isn't good to anybody :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

• alexandermag89
    alexandermag89
    Community Member

Thanks for the replies. I love your product and am more than willing to pay for a new license to support you guys if I need to. Why would I still be able to get 1password 5 for free? I never did upgrade to 1password 4, maybe that is why. Any information? Also, how much would I have to pay to get premium 1password for iPhone?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

Hi @alexandermag89‌ I'll start with the bit I do feel confident on answering :stuck_out_tongue:

1Password 5 for iOS is free and the in-app purchase for the Pro features is $9.99 (US), £6.99 (UK). Those were the two easy ones to check but it will be dependent on your country. As you can see though it's a steal. I'm pretty sure I happily paid more than that for 1Password 4 for iOS. Now that will allow you to use 1Password 5 for iOS on as many iOS devices that you own, as long as they are connected to the same Apple ID. If you've heard about Family Sharing, just to warn you that in-app purchases aren't included in that so other family members wouldn't be able to access the Pro features via your purchase.

I can't come up with a good reason as to why your 1Password 3 licence should still be working for 1Password 4/5 - simply in terms of 1P3 used a licence key and 1P4/5 use a licence file. Are you sure you didn't purchase 1Password 4 from the Mac App Store at all? Easiest way to check is in 1Password go to 1Password : About 1Password. If it says Mac App Store under the version number then at some point you must have purchased it from there. That would explain why it's working and why I can't find any history (Mac App Store purchase details aren't shared by Apple).

• alexandermag89
    alexandermag89
    Community Member

Hi there littlebobbytables. I know that this is a really late reply, and I am extremely grateful of your's and everyone's replies. Customer service here is truly beyond top notch. I did read the reply all those months ago, but didn't reply. I figured out why my 1password three license was still working; it wasn't. Embarrassingly, I didn't realize that I had actually downloaded the free month or so trial from the agile bits store. I promptly found out when my trial ended. I did, however get a great price on purchasing an upgrade license though. The iCloud feature seems nice, but I like saving a bit of money. Especially after seeing the price jump recently. (Though I still maintain that 1password is completely worth every penny, no matter what price you pay.)

• Hi @alexandermag89‌,

Good to see this worked out for you. If you have any more questions, please let us know.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.