1Password silently stopped syncing via Dropbox [Known Issue - info/steps in posts #9 and #14]

Options
boboAgile
boboAgile
Community Member
edited November 2014 in iOS

I just got aware that 1Password on my iPad and my iPhone stopped syncing via Dropbox somewhere in the past. I recognized this by pure chance. The iPad and the iPhone had different snapshots of my vault. Both where different form the current state on my Macs.

This is of course very annoying and creates a feeling of insecurity which is not good for a premiere password vault solution. I'm using 1Password on my Macs and also on Windows (how a bout a package price for this kind of scenarios?). I had a similar hassle with 1Password on the Mac and Dropbox earlier this year which was not easy to solve.

Dropbox itself was working fine, I could sync files between platforms. 1Password just would not sync changes, even when I initiated a manual sync. I had to complete remove all data and settings from 1Password on iOS and set it up again.

I urge AgileBits to spend more time in testing Dropbox sync. It is crucial.

Best, Boris

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi Boris ( @boboAgile )

Sorry to hear you're again running into difficulties with Dropbox sync. Just to make sure I'm clear: none of your devices appear to be in sync with each other? Each has a different set of data?

In order to get this sorted out, I'll need to know a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem:

• What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?
    • What version of the Dropbox app do you have on your Mac?

The more detail you can provide, the more quickly we'll be able to get you sorted out! :)

• boboAgile
    boboAgile
    Community Member
    Options

I cannot reconstruct the exact circumstances anymore because 1Password stopped syncing somewhere in the past and I only recognized this today.

1Password on the iPhone had an old state of my vault (it had less entries than the current state on my Macs). 1Password on the iPad had an even older state (even less entries than 1Password on the iPhone). I did not add too many entries in the past weeks on my Macs (and deleted none) so the state on the iOS devices was pretty outdated (I would guess some weeks or even a few month).

I normally update my software as soon as updates are provided so 1Password on all devices must have always been pretty up to date.

As I wrote I sorted this out myself by deleting all data on the iOS devices and resyncing from Dropbox.

So please take this as a wish (maybe even a little rant) of a loyal customer for better quality assurance of your software. And maybe there is a way for 1Password to recognized that it cannot properly sync anymore. If so, you could let the user know.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, @boboAgile. We're definitely looking into ways we can provide customers with more feedback when things aren't working the way they expect them to.

• _accavacca_
    _accavacca_
    Community Member
    Options

When i associate the app with an existing dropbox 1Passowrd's files, it sync correctly all files, but only the first time!!
    Afrer that, when i press the "Syncronize now" button, the sync doesn't start!!!

• davco9200
    davco9200
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a similar issue. I have the latest version of 1Password for iOS 8.1 (5.1.1) and it isn't syncing with DropBox -- the app says last synced 6 days ago, and when I click "Sync Now" it flashes briefly and then nothing. Still says 6 days and still no updates to my vault.

Dropbox version on my Mac: 2.10.41. 1Password on my Mac 5.0.1.

• _accavacca_
    _accavacca_
    Community Member
    Options

HEEEEELPPPPPP...!!!!!!!!

• MikeMikeMike
    MikeMikeMike
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem since 8.0 (I'm running 8.1 now). I keep expecting the new version of 1P or iOS will fix the problem, but they don't.
    iPad and iPhone silently stop syncing, Macbook and iMac continue to sync. All syncing via dropbox.
    Pressing "Sync Now" on iOS causes it to flash briefly but it doesn't sync.
    The only way to make it sync is to turn off syncing, then setup dropbox syncing again. That means going through the tedious "merge/don't merge " dialogs every time. And then we have several errors and failed attempts to completely sync until it finally does complete.
    Then it will sync properly for some unknown period of time.
    Unfortunately, at some point iOS will secretly stop syncing again.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

I do apologize for the problem here. I actually experienced a similar issue myself, and have filed a report with our development team in hopes that they can track down a bug.

What resolved it for me was reinstalling the app. Please note that this erases any data on the iOS device in 1Password so please make a backup before attempting this:

Once you have a backup via this method please try removing the app, and reinstalling ( http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2519 ). When prompted, set up Dropbox sync.

Please let us know how that turns out.

Ben

ref: CSI-25

• emcotton
    emcotton
    Community Member
    Options

I am likewise having the problem with IOS 8.1 and the latest version of 1Password. One oddity I found is that when on the Sync screen the "Items" field very slightly jumps up and down.

• pzwack
    pzwack
    Community Member
    Options

I had updated Mac to Yosemite and 1Passwd 5 (Web version), the update on IOS had happened also automatically.
    Then I found the iOS Sync had stopped to work: It said on the iPhone, "Last synced 8 days ago". "Sync now" didn't do anything.

I did not reinstall the Apps, but stopping and reconfiguring the DropBox sync helped.
    In particular, I had to authenticate the 1Passwd client to Dropbox again, to make the sync work.
    1Passwd did not manage to ask for re-authentication by itself.

Also, when setting up sync from scrach, the Mac version had changed the keychain location

• from Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain
    • to Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

That's a surprise but it was not a real problem.

iOS then had to merge with the new password store, which was intimidating at first,
    but I have backups of my keychain and in the end 99% of the data were the same.

Maybe this helps someone out there.
    Cheers, Peter

• papagai
    papagai
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. I'm running the latest App Store versions of 1Password (pro features enabled) on an iPhone 6 and iPad mini with Retina Display, both running iOS 8.1. I sync via Dropbox between the two devices (and my Mac, although I'm not seeing any issues with sync on that device). I've set up Dropbox sync for my 1Password vault (I only have one vault) but after a day or so the syncing simply stops working. The settings show that Dropbox sync is enabled and it points to /1Password.agilebitschain on both devices, but the "Last Sync" field will show that it's been 1+ days since it last synced and tapping "Sync Now" does nothing. The only way to get it working again is to disable and then reenable Dropbox sync, which works for a day or so before it fails and the behavior described above reappears. I've had to do this several times on both devices since upgrading to iOS 8. I've been using 1Password on multiple devices for years and have never had this issue before, so I suspect it's either an iOS 8 bug or a Dropbox bug. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

• papagai
    papagai
    Community Member
    Options

Correction: it points to /1Password.agilekeychain.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @"accavacca", I merged your message into this discussion, which I think is the same issue.

This sounds like a known issue our developers are looking into. I'm sorry for the inconvenience! The following steps usually seem to help:

• First, make sure you have all your 1Password data synced/backed up somewhere other than your iOS device. If your 1Password data is up to date in Dropbox, that's fine. You can also save a backup to a computer by following the steps here.

• Next, open 1Password on your iOS device and go to Settings.

• Scroll down and go to Advanced.
    • Tap "Erase Data and Settings", then confirm you want to do that.
    • When you see the message confirming the data is deleted, tap Quit.
    • Restart your iOS device (hold down the power button for a few seconds and "slide to power off", then turn it back on again).

• Reopen 1Password and choose "Sync existing vault".

• Choose "Sync with Dropbox" and follow any additional steps to complete the setup.

Once the setup and sync are complete, check to make sure your data is there. Hopefully this helps!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @papagai, I merged your messages into this discussion as I think it's the same problem. Please take a look at my post from earlier today for information & some steps to help with Dropbox sync. Thanks!

• Swami
    Swami
    Community Member
    Options

iPad Air2 quit syncing 4 weeks ago. When I click "Sync Now" nothing happens. I have ios8.1, OS 10.10, I have been using Dropbox to sync for ages.

Please help,
    Swami

• papagai
    papagai
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Drew_AG‌. I've erased the app data on both devices, reinstalled the app and synced back to Dropbox. I didn't restart either device (I forgot about that step...oops) but hopefully it'll work anyway. Thanks again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@papagai, I'm glad to hear it's working! Just to let you know, it's possible the problem might happen again. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next update, but if it happens again in the meantime, the same steps you tried should get it working again. I'm sorry for the inconvenience!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Swami, I merged your message into this thread as it sounds like the same issue. Please take a look at post #14 for information & some steps to help with Dropbox sync. Thanks!

• shyalter
    shyalter
    Community Member
    Options

Hello. I noticed that since upgrade to iOS8 (I think it was the trigger) - I am regularly unable to sync the "vault" through Dropbox. It simply does not respond. I managed to work around it by disabling Dropbox sync and starting all over again with a re-authorization and reselction of the vault. This is obviously cumbersome (and annoying) - as I have to do this frequently and I don't trust my iPhone's 1Password to have my latest vault/passwords.

Background synching is active (in iOS) etc. I have iPhone 6/ 8.1

Thanks in Advance for your suggestions.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @shyalter, I merged your message with this thread as I think it's the same issue you described. You can take a look through the messages here for more information, and also check out post #14 for some steps to help with Dropbox sync. Thanks!

• Guh3
    Guh3
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi
    1Password Pro on my iPod Touch (latest version) isn't syncing at all with DropBox. Everything is up-to-date with the latest iterations.
    It's my understanding that it's a known issue. Any time-frame on a solution to this issue?

• ashtonsh
    ashtonsh
    Community Member
    Options

Sync Now button flashes syncing but goes back to Sync Now. the Items bar is constantly twitching up and down.
    No problem with sync on iPad running 8.1 or Mac on Yosemite.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Guh3,

Are you using 1Password 5 for iOS with Pro Features activated, or are you using 1Password 3 (which was also sold as 1Password Pro)? The reason I ask is because Dropbox sync will no longer work in 1Password 3 for iOS (it uses an older Dropbox API that was discontinued over a year ago).

If you're using 1Password 5 for iOS and Dropbox sync isn't working, that might be due to a known issue our developers are working on. Please open 1Password on your iPod Touch and go to Settings > Sync. If Dropbox sync is currently set up and shows the Last Sync happened hours or days ago, that sounds like the known issue. In that case, please take a look at post #14 for some steps that should help.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ashtonsh,

I merged your message into this thread because it sounds like you're having the same problem being discussed here. Please take a look at post #14 for information & some steps to help with Dropbox sync. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.