Automatic Backups

Options

When does 1Password run the automatic backups?

I have it set to perform a backup every day and keep the last 50 backups.

I've just checked the backup folder today and can see it's only got one backup file in it from 23/09/2014, nearly a week ago. The computer is normally on a few hours a day, not every day, but most days. It's been turned on and logged in for a few hours this evening yet no backup file has been created.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@reck Are you running 1Password 1.0.x or 1Password 4.0.x?

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry should have said v4. Also I have v4 installed on a second PC as well.

What would you recommend for backup purposes? Should I enable backups on this second PC as well to save to the same location? I mainly use one vault on one PC and another vault on the second PC but do something switch them to get at certain passwords.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

First, I would not back up two PCs to a single location (i.e., the same folder on the same drive). Backups are your friends, and you can never have too many friends. :)

Second, we're looking into the backup timer (which, unless you disable automatic backups in preferences, does a quick check every minute to determine whether it's time to do another one) to make sure it's working as designed.

Thanks for mentioning this!

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

To increase my friends I will backup my second computer to a different location then.

So is automatic backup broken then? Is there anything I can do to get it back up and working or do I just have to wait for an update?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

For now, please use the Backup > Back Up 1Password Vault command, just to be sure.

We apologize for the inconvenience!

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using version 4.1.0.526 and auto-backup now appears to be working.

Can you confirm if a fix has been implemented for auto-backups now? I want to make sure it's been properly fixed and i'm not just seeing a situation where the backup is just temporarily working and may break again in the future. Thanks

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

I have only the release notes (accessible from the Help menu) to go by.

The word "backup" appears only once, in relation to build 520, released on October 13:

• Bug: if your PC resumes from sleep, then the 1Password agent/helper might stop making backups. Fixed.
  • reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah I read the release notes, I use a desktop so don't use any sleep feature.

I was more interested in what the devs who know this feature could say or what may be listed on some internal bug tracker I can't see.

I find myself checking if it's working all the time and making manual backups, do I still need to be doing this? If I do I presume it's because of an issue you're aware of and it's on some list somewhere waiting to be fixed? If not and everythings working ok in this area I can leave the system to work how it's intended and let it make its own backup.

Just want to be clear on where we stand with the auto-backup feature at this point in time?

Also if there is a problem would be good to know how up the list it is for a fix?

Thanks

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

@reck, Dev has confirmed that the presumed fix was added in 4.0.2.BETA-516 (even though it doesn't appear in the release notes for that build) and would've been included in stable release 4.1.0.520, as mentioned above.

[edited] with apologies for my error

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Dev has confirmed that the presumed fix was added in 4.0.2.BETA-516 (even though it doesn't appear in the release notes for that build)

@DBrown Sure it does: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW4#beta

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for checking with the dev guy(s) DBrown. It does indeed seem to be working ok now.

I noticed I started this thread before 4.1.0.520 was released so I guess that bug fix has worked. However I don't use the sleep feature of my computer so I wonder if the problem also appeared in other situations?

One other question regarding auto-backup. When does it actually perform the backup? Is it as soon as the software starts up after a reboot or some other timeframe?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

According to Dev, the helper is designed to check every minute whether it's time to create a backup, based on your preference settings.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

We're glad to help, @reck!

This discussion has been closed.