How To Upgrade To v.5 for Mac and iOS

I am currently running 1Password 3 on my Mac with Mavericks. I am getting ready to install Yosemite on my Mac and would like to upgrade to 1Password 5 at the same time. After that, I would like to install 1Password on my iOS devices as well, then have them seamlessly sync using iCloud. Here are my questions:

1) In order to get the iCloud syncing, it sounds like I need to purchase 1Password 5 from the Mac App Store and not from the company website, correct?

2) If I purchase on the Mac App Store, there now is a sale price of $34.99. How long will the sale be running?

3) If I go this route with the Mac App Store, will all of my data from 1 Password 3 be transferred to 1Password 5?

4) After installing 1Password 5 on my Mac running Yosemite, I plan to install the iPhone and iPad apps. Will they automatically sync with my Yosemite version.

5) Any other tips for going through this process?

Thank you!
Dan

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DanThePhotoMan‌

1. That's correct. With the release of iOS 8 and then Yosemite, iCloud syncing is now only the domain of apps and applications sold through iTunes and the Mac App Store. As a result 1Password 5 requires Yosemite on the mac, iOS 8 on any iOS device you want to run it on. If not all devices can run iOS 8 and Yosemite then you won't be able to use iCloud to sync them all. Apple has a history of bold decisions and they don't fear transitions.
    2. I don't know is the answer, I'll see if anybody knows anything definitive and report back.
    3. I followed this route myself. I was a 1Password 3 user and then purchased 1Password 4 via the MAS. I'm not going to say it isn't possible for there to be blips but it went completely smoothly for me and it did so for many others too. Worst case scenario, you know where the forums are and we'll help you.
    4. The best route would be to have your mac sync to the iCloud and then use the I'm an existing user option to point the fresh copy of 1Password 5 for iOS to iCloud. At that point yes, the devices will sync automatically with iCloud each time you unlock your vault.
    5. I can't think of any at the moment but if I do I'll post back here. Honestly, I've moved from 1Password 3 to 4 and then to 5 on both macs and iPhones and it's always been pretty smooth. General advice though, always have backups. Use something like SuperDuper! to make a clone of your existing system before you try Yosemite, that way if anything goes horribly wrong you can recover. Same with 1Password, make a backup and it'll ease the worries :smile:
This discussion has been closed.