Why no iCloud sync in the web store version?

theoggy
theoggy
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

Today I make the update to 1password 5 and now I'm very pissed off, sorry.

No iCloud Sync with the website version?! And I have to pay all again in the App-Store, I have a family licence and pay more than the normal price.
So I have to pay for everyone the App in the App Store for 30,99 EUR?!
Why do you do that?
You have written in your forum post, that it is not possible to give users a free licence or something else. But what is with Promo-Codes or you can give the App like a "present". So you have some options for the users...

Dropbox is no option for me. I don't like and wont create more different accounts for only one App.

Think about, you have options for the user and more than one...

Comments

• MarcelT
    MarcelT
    Community Member

Same feeling here. Did not get the message of not being able to iCloud Sync anymore after upgrading to R5. So it was too late. Wouldn't have upgraded if I had known. Can't stand I have to pay again full price to get it back.

You will have to come up with a better answer then "Should not done it in R4" and not being able to help.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

I'm not trying to be an apologist for AgileBits here, but it seems to me that they are in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" bind here. They made iCloud syncing available in 1P4 to webstore purchasers because (a) it worked, and (b) offering a feature to folks seemed better than not offering it just because maybe in the future it might not work anymore. The fact that it didn't end up working in iOS 8/Yosemite doesn't mean that their decision to offer it was wrong.

As to the Promo Codes idea, while I don't remember the details, I do recall reading on a (different) software developer's site (who also had maintained App Store and "Webstore" versions) that this option wasn't going to work (and it wasn't a financial decision).

FWIW, I'm in the same boat. I bought the webstore version, and I'll need to buy the Mac App Store version if I want iCloud syncing.

• Jasper
    edited November 2014

Hi guys,

1Password 5 for Mac is a major release and one of the significant changes we made was a complete rewrite of iCloud syncing. 1Password 5 switched to the new Apple iCloud "CloudKit" technology which is only available on OS X Yosemite and iOS 8, and limited to Mac App Store apps only. After this change we were no longer able to offer iCloud syncing in the web store version of 1Password.

We've put together a FAQ page with more information here:

Web store and iCloud FAQ

I also want to make sure that you have a chance to review some more information on iCloud and why the Mac App Store is the only version that has access to that particular sync option. Roustem, one of our founders, has written a blog post on the iCloud rewrite and I’d like to share it with you:

About iCloud changes in 1Password 5

The only way to use iCloud in 1Password 5 is to purchase directly from the Mac App Store. Unfortunately there is no way for us to transfer your purchase from our store to Apple's. I’m sorry we don’t have a better migration path for you. Promo codes are not a solution, since we only receive 100 codes per version, which isn't anywhere close to enough to assist all of our users.

I hope that helps, but please let us know if you have any other questions.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Myself, I feel that you should refund 70% at least of the cost of purchasing from the App Store to those who want to change over.

By all means, require them to purchase from the App Store first and provide proof of that purchase as well as their purchase direct from you.

70% because you only receive 70% from Apple. 100% would be nice for users, but must be financially unacceptable for you. Somewhere between 80% and 90% might be an amount you could bear to lose in the interests of customer satisfaction.

• theoggy
    theoggy
    Community Member

how do it ign for the free games of the month?
    they have a lot more then 100 codes for the game and you will only get a code if you go to the page ...so there is a solution, if you want a solution.
    the solution of danco is also possible, it is ok if I have maybe to pay a bit for this function. But the full price?!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @danco and @theoggy,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here! I am sorry that this transition has left you feeling frustrated. Here's another way to look at the situation:

Historically, our 'major' version upgrades (version 2 to version 3 and version 3 to version 4, for example) have come at a cost. We do our best to offer sales (and extra discounts via our webstore where we are able to do so) for existing users to make the transition to the new version easier. With 1Password 5 for Mac, we decided to be extra generous and make it a free upgrade for all users. We're happy to do that for our users, because we think you're pretty awesome, and we really appreciate your support.

Unfortunately, as Jasper mentions above, the Mac App Store just doesn't provide a way for us to move a license from our webstore to the Mac App Store, so the free upgrade can only apply to the version that you originally purchased.

As with previous upgrades, we've also put 1Password on sale, to help users who decide to make the transition from the webstore version to the Mac App Store version.

• Scansterz
    Scansterz
    Community Member

EBERYTIME - yes, strong 100% of the time that I update your software I cannot sync. Now again this happens. I wrote technical support - got an automatic reply and I've been waiting 1 month for a response. So two things: 1. You software really does not work as you sold me on and 2. you do not care to even respond to a support request. Shame on you guys for having us guys - who have been with you for years, have multiple liscences - be dropped and non supported especially when adding a new device, updating software and such ALWAYS BREAKS what we are used to doing. I can't believe I've wasted my money on your software. - That is the truth.

This discussion has been closed.